Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone know if you can buy these? Apparently you can get ipecac without prescription in the States, but I've never even seen it sold here (not that I'd want to take it specifically anyway, too dangerous). For the record, I'm not interested in trying bulimia nervosa, I'd just like to find something that'll let me vomit when I actually need to without sticking my fingers down my throat and hoping I can find the right place to squeeze.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: whyyy would you want emetics?

ReputationRep:
    Drink to much... need to get some up.

Child swallows medicine.

etc etc.

BULIMA

(Original post by Magnanimity)
    :lolwut: whyyy would you want emetics?
    If I eat something bad, I'd rather deal with the short-term annoyance of vomiting than feeling sick all night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    If I eat something bad, I'd rather deal with the short-term annoyance of vomiting than feeling sick all night.
    Why would you knowingly eat something bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Oh. But how would you know unless you were feeling sick and you already had the food poisoning? Seems a bit dicy to me, really.

Or do you mean if you eat something then realise it's out of date or what?

ReputationRep:
    None available OTC, you're likely to choke on your vomit.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard anything like this....sure you're ok? It really does sound like bulimia...

(Original post by Perfect_Gent)
    Why would you knowingly eat something bad?
    Have you never eaten something then realised it didn't sit right with your stomach, but it wasn't serious enough to warrant getting medical attention? I'm not going to waste my GP or Emergency Room's time because I have a bit of a tummy ache.

In my experience if I just chuck up at that point it deals with the situation with little fuss. I'd just like to be able to do it on command if necessary; stroking my constrictor muscle doesn't always get a full heave so I'm just left with a nasty taste in my mouth and still feel bad.

For the record, I'm not describing it so clearly because I do it regularly, it's just I had some bad Chinese last night and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edit - Thanks JayEm, had a feeling that'd be the case. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just buy normal stuff like pepto bismal (sp?) or Rennies or something?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds more like bullimia. Who here hasn't ate something and had a tummy ache. Don't go around throwing up for it.

Good lord, if I wanted advice on becoming bullimic I'd have asked this on a pro-ana forum. Is it so wrong to want to be able to control your body if you feel it's necessary or temporarily beneficial?

ReputationRep:
    salt-water

ReputationRep:
    Right.

Vomiting is dangerous and not something to be taken lightly. You risk aspiration, mallor-weiss tearing, boerhave's syndrome (which is particularly unpleasant) and it wrecks your teeth and makes your breath smell.

If you're feeling uncomfortably full after meals it'd probably be better to try something like Domperidone (Motilium) which increases gastric emptying and is available over the counter.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.