Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this worst living government of Great Britain? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently, many people are in an uproar over the BNP winning seats in Lancashire and South Yorkshire. Instead of ranting about them getting into power, have we actually thought why people voted for them? I would have voted for them. Not because of their race policy, because I don't think most BNP members are racist, they voted for them because they have no hope in this current government. who happens to be Labour, the party that supposedly speaks for working class rights.

1) I find it heartbreaking that current inept government is representative of the British public. They don't give a **** about their citizens. The recent case of Gary Miccinon, shows how special the relationship is with the USA. So much so that this government is willing to extradite citizens of Britain to the United States based on unproven allegations.

2)If our economy is getting better apparently, how come every European Leader attacked the way Gordon Brown has handled our economy. There are so many artificial jobs now that are actually meaningless in this current recession. We have bailed out banks, which single handedly caused this recession. What further infuriates me, is that they are willing to sack people lower down the chain and not the people on the top with their big fat pensions.

3) British jobs for British workers. Instead of creating artificial jobs, Mr Brown has, why not force people to work, even if it is something like cherry picking. Because there is a sense of snobbery. I have no problem with immigrants working here, I understand we do need them in certain sectors because there is lack of those professionals. But my main concern is things like call centre; why are they based in India? Can someone please explain why they can not be based in Britain? After all the customers are British? Remember a few months back, the workers who staged a protest to work at a plant, where they work for donkeys years, and told to leave their jobs in the current climate and replaced by Italian and Spanish workers?

4) Afghanistan and Iraq war, why are we spending billions in unpopular wars when the money is needed in this country, in the education sector, health sector etc... Why is there a need to spend millions on an inquiry if it is already determined what the verdict is going to be? We all know what the verdict is. The verdict that is based on lies from this transparent government.

If there is anymore feel free to add...

ReputationRep:
    But my main concern is things like call centre; why are they based in India? Can someone please explain why they can not be based in Britain?
    Er, because Indians will do the work for less money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    4) Afghanistan and Iraq war, why are we spending billions in unpopular wars when the money is needed in this country, in the education sector, health sector etc... Why is there a need to spend millions on an inquiry if it is already determined what the verdict is going to be? We all know what the verdict is. The verdict that is based on lies from this transparent government.

Don't worry,so as USA looking for new victims just now,soon you'll spend much more for their war.
    I just don't understand.For example USA came to Irak for oil,but what your forces are doing there?What have you got for that war?

ReputationRep:
    No. You're just not old enough to remember the other despicable governments we've had.

You've probably lived under the Blair/Brown government for the vast majority of your life.

ReputationRep:
    We have bailed out banks, which single handedly caused this recession.
    Evidence? Reasoning?

3) British jobs for British workers. Instead of creating artificial jobs, Mr Brown has, why not force people to work, even if it is something like cherry picking. Because there is a sense of snobbery. I have no problem with immigrants working here, I understand we do need them in certain sectors because there is lack of those professionals. But my main concern is things like call centre; why are they based in India? Can someone please explain why they can not be based in Britain? After all the customers are British? Remember a few months back, the workers who staged a protest to work at a plant, where they work for donkeys years, and told to leave their jobs in the current climate and replaced by Italian and Spanish workers?
    Do you like your goods to be plentiful and reasonably priced? Even if you don't, what makes you think you have the right to make them more expensive for other people? Free movement of goods and labour means low prices and plentiful goods. It means wealth for the vast majority of the population.

ReputationRep:

1) I find it heartbreaking that current inept government is representative of the British public. They don't give a **** about their citizens. The recent case of Gary Miccinon, shows how special the relationship is with the USA. So much so that this government is willing to extradite citizens of Britain to the United States based on unproven allegations.

Gary Mckinnon has admitted to hacking into NASA's computers. How ever they claim that he did $70,000 worth of damage. I don't think that is even possible. But lets say he did cause them this much damage. He did what he did on British soil as a British subject. He should be tried under British law and serve his sentence here. How ever in America he would get a much more severe sentence than he would for unauthorised access to computer systems under the 1990 computer misuse act of parliament. So they want him over there. Really a decent government (who followed the US into war) should put their foot down here. How ever the American Government are a bit embarrassed that he managed to get that far, really if those computers were that protected they should have been air gaped from the internet.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad says so, and he's ancient.

I still think the 1970s was probably a fairly **** decade to live in from an economic point of view, but at least you weren't spied on. In fact, I bet one barely even noticed the presence of the "state".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    In fact, I bet one barely even noticed the presence of the "state".
    I bet you did, since the state controlled large swathes of the economy, and was therefore your employer

ReputationRep:
    Recently, many people are in an uproar over the BNP winning seats in Lancashire and South Yorkshire. Instead of ranting about them getting into power, have we actually thought why people voted for them? I would have voted for them. Not because of their race policy, because I don't think most BNP members are racist, they voted for them because they have no hope in this current government. who happens to be Labour, the party that supposedly speaks for working class rights.

2)If our economy is getting better apparently, how come every European Leader attacked the way Gordon Brown has handled our economy. There are so many artificial jobs now that are actually meaningless in this current recession. We have bailed out banks, which single handedly caused this recession. What further infuriates me, is that they are willing to sack people lower down the chain and not the people on the top with their big fat pensions.

If this post shows one thing for sure, it's that the education system clearly isn't working in Preston.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I bet you did, since the state controlled large swathes of the economy, and was therefore your employer
    Good point.

But if you were part of the minority who didn't work for them, they more-or-less left you alone (except to steal up to 95% of your income, obviously)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    Good point.

But if you were part of the minority who didn't work for them, they more-or-less left you alone (except to steal up to 95% of your income, obviously)
    See I would call that a significant intervention

ReputationRep:
    I don't have time to read your post but I'm sure in 4 years time people will be complaining about the exact same thing.

ReputationRep:
    im sure these posts always come up and the general and quite sensible response is 'possibly but as the vast majority of us are too young to be able to tell'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there were worse governments hundreds and hundreds of years ago. I hardly think that this is the worst government so far.

It's too popular to bash current government these days. It's starting to get annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    Gary Mckinnon has admitted to hacking into NASA's computers. How ever they claim that he did $70,000 worth of damage. I don't think that is even possible. But lets say he did cause them this much damage. He did what he did on British soil as a British subject. He should be tried under British law and serve his sentence here. How ever in America he would get a much more severe sentence than he would for unauthorised access to computer systems under the 1990 computer misuse act of parliament. So they want him over there. Really a decent government (who followed the US into war) should put their foot down here. How ever the American Government are a bit embarrassed that he managed to get that far, really if those computers were that protected they should have been air gaped from the internet.
    this
    if anything they should thank him for exposing the serious flaws in their system to let some conspiracy stoner nut with windows 98 to hack into what should be the most secure cyber space in the world. but no the americans are going to go **** he has made us look really stupid here and he may have even seen some things we didnt want him to, we'll show him and anyone planning to do the same

The title engaged me a little, but you don't get to justify being a racist ******* because the situation is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    this
    if anything they should thank him for exposing the serious flaws in their system to let some conspiracy stoner nut with windows 98 to hack into what should be the most secure cyber space in the world. but no the americans are going to go **** he has made us look really stupid here and he may have even seen some things we didnt want him to, we'll show him and anyone planning to do the same
    I wouldn't say they should thank him. If I kick your door in have a look around but don't steal anything from you, you're still not going to be best pleased with me. Even if I did it to expose how bad your door was. To be honest gaining access to these things should be impossible to do remotely because they shouldn't be on the internet but that isn't the point. He did wrong, he knows he did. But he should be tried and sentenced in this country. We can't go sending people to the US on a whim of some government official over there. Its a mick take to think the US won't do the same in return, even if one of their citizens has caused actual damage whilst on this soil.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, as already said, he admitted to the charges anyway. And you've got this rather arse about face, I think. Britain simply isn't a powerful enough player on the world stage any more without either American or European support. We haven't been for more than 60 years. It's a classic case of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"; is getting a self-confessed criminal a lesser sentence worth the risk of alienating the most valuable ally we have? The British public as a whole, will benefit much more from the country remaining strong on the world stage than they will from one man getting a lesser sentence. Besides which, the US has every right to want this guy; he may have been on British soil at the time, but the damage he did, the physical location of the computers upon which the crime took place (NASA's computers) was on American soil.

Clearly the European leaders are equally knowledgable about economic matters as the man who was in charge of the economy during the boom; a boom in which we benefited far more than many other countries. This is a world recession; it is not confined to just Britain. Gordon Browns policies on it are unpopular because people are morons. Many measures taken elsewhere in Europe create the illusion that things are getting better fast, just long enough for the people in power to get re-elected and it all to collapse again. He's doing a far better job of preparing the economy for a long term benefit, and a much more permanant fix.

Theyre not based in Britain because the companies decided it was cheaper to base them in India or wherever else. The government has nothing to do with the decisions individual companies make, so while I agree it is annoying, it's completely irrelevant to a discussion about the government. Again with the plant thing; it was a company reacting stupidly to the current economic climate, not the government doing anything whatsoever. Your note about forcing people to work instead of creating jobs had me in stitches; force them to work in what jobs exactly? The ones that don't exist because the economy is shrinking? Or the very ones he's creating so people can get jobs and the country produces more money again, getting the economy back on its feet. Think things though before you post, please.

The war is partly simple commitment to the Americans for the reasons stated in point one. Besides, if we pull out now we leave them in a worse mess than we found them. You go tell the Aghanistani people that we snobby British have decided that we need to pull out because we need the money more just because we're in a temporary recession. I mean, not too many more of them will be raped and killed and whatnot whilst we sort out our problems, which compared to the ones they have a pretty damned minor. You sicken me for even suggesting we abandon them to the mess it is out there just because you might not be able to afford the latest games console you want or whatever. I may not agree with starting the war in the first place, but suggesting we pull out now without trying to help is reprehensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    I wouldn't say they should thank him. If I kick your door in have a look around but don't steal anything from you, you're still not going to be best pleased with me.
    i'd be glad it wasnt a theif and i'd go buy a new door before any real damage was done.

ReputationRep:
    In a way he did actually kick down someones door then started to destroy their stuff.

I wouldn't thank so one that caused me thousands of pounds worth of damage.

P.S. Anyway, I don't care. I'm pretty sure he won't get that big of a sentence and he will end up working for a security internet company.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.