Turn on thread page Beta

I'm constantly thinking negatively watch

Throughout much of my life, most notably in the past couple of years or so (I'm 18 by the way), I have loads of negative thoughts and few (if any) positive ones. Anything I do, achieve or whatever, I always look at the negative side and I find it scary how easily I can criticise something or someone (normally me).

Why am I like this? When I go to university, I don't want to appear as some sort of sour individual who doesn't like anything and is never happy. This thinking process is ingrained in my and I want to get rid of it :mad2: Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever considered just stopping it?

It probably is that simple. You've formed a bad habbit and you need to change the habit. So progressively stop yourself from doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like that. I don't know if I consciously changed it or it changed itself, but I got so fed up with everything that in the end it just had to change.

It used to be so bad that I was practically ill from anxiety. I don't know why it changed, but I guess if you really think about how you don't like how it makes you feel/seem, then you don't HAVE TO continue doing it (:

ReputationRep:
    Find things that you can be positive about in your life - like maybe a new hobby, following a secret dream, or even just meeting with friends.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same - I can rarely think of anything good about my life/appearance etc, and am my own strongest critic about anything I do - nothing is ever good enough. I get uncomfortable in many social situations and assume that nobody will want to listen to what I've got to say, meaning I say very little and just get classed as "the quiet one" who subsequently is ignored and forgotten about. I hate being like this and it doesn't exactly make life easy, but I've been this way so long I'm not sure I'll be able to change before I get to uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.