Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am Sikh and he is Hindu! [♥] watch

Hey,

Well basically for a year now I have had a Hindu boyfriend and I am a Sikh myself. We are scared to tell our parents incase they won't let us get married! Also restrict me from seeing him .

But both our families are originally from India! We are British Indians. So they should right? What should I do!!?

I need advice and help asap!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

Well basically for a year now I have had a Hindu boyfriend and I am a Sikh myself. We are scared to tell our parents incase they won't let us get married! Also restrict me from seeing him .

But both our families are originally from India! We are British Indians. So they should right? What should I do!!?

Thanks
    How old are you both? If you 2 are old enough, your parents shouldn't really mind since you're both Indian. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Are you certain your mum would react angrily, should you inform her? Tbh, I don't see anyway around this, but to find the courage, and it seems, the bravery, to inform your parents of you having a non-Sikh boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    When you're 18 you can marry whoever you choose. Frankly their "letting you or not" is irrelevent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    How old are you both? If you 2 are old enough, your parents shouldn't really mind since you're both Indian. :erm:
    I think the difference in religion is the issue here.

ReputationRep:
    hindus look down on sikhs (i think)

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    I suppose it depends on how liberal your parents are. I have a lot of Indian friends (Sikh and Hindu) and i know some of their parents will except anyone but others still stick to the caste system (although one friend has parents that did change their mind in the end).

ReputationRep:
    Tell your parents he's a White atheist, wait a day, then say your were joking, he's actually a Pakistani Muslim, then wait a day, and tell them he's actually an Indian Sikh. They'll probably be quite happy by then.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any religious reasons why you cannot marry?

ReputationRep:
    Don't let nothin get in the way of looooove, baby.

ReputationRep:
    People like both your and his parents make me sick

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? If you're just teenagers then seriously don't be so deluded enough into believing the whole love, soul-mates, hubby-wifey bullcrap at such a young age! It's complete nonsense, just watch when the chips are down, it's very probable you'll break up and won't be able to stand the sight of eachother.

If you are at least in your 20's and have been together for quite some years now (you've only been together for one year - which is nothing, way too early for marriage talks), then it's credible to be thinking about marriage, telling parents and family etc.

Obviously by being in a relationship with a person of a different religion, you've automatically gone against your parents from the word go (as they only accept same religion marriage) so expecting their approval now is difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Tell your parents he's a White atheist, wait a day, then say your were joking, he's actually a Pakistani Muslim, then wait a day, and tell them he's actually an Indian Sikh. They'll probably be quite happy by then.
    I like this suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    I don't know how old you are but I am assuming your very young so to be quite honest you may not stay together forever so stop worrying and enjoy yourselves and then once your old enough and really feel like your meant for each other then worry about this

ReputationRep:
    If your parents are discontent it's simply because they are wondering what judgements extended family might make.

However, I know many people who have had this type of relationship and there are minimal problems.

Your parents should be happy that you've found somebody! If not, you are an adult; their discontent will only exist if they believe they have influence over your choice in partner. Once you have asserted your decision, they will be happy for you.

I hope it works out for you.

I know a guy who went out with a Hindi girl for 2 years but couldn't get married to her because he's Sikh.

It's frowned upon in our society, and the people replying to this should understand that you can't ignore your families wishes. I don't agree with the restrictions where you can only marry Sikh if you are Sikh, but that's just how it is and we have to get on with it.

For girls I'd say it's more strict than for guys, but you just have to tell your parents and see what they say.

At least you aren't going out with a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Sikhs and Hindu are completely different ... So what if your British Indian your religion isnt the same at ALL ... I would think about your decision ... since it will have consequences on your entire family ... your father , mother may feel they are being disgraced ... by all means if you believe its right then no one can stop you but think about the consequences and weigh them up ... i would advise against it .. what about the boys family they may not like his son marrying a sikh then your life would be very very uncomfortable if you meet them .. btw im sikh

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? You sound pretty young to be contemplating the idea of marriage.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like you're marrying a muslim ffs.
    Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but marrying a muslim is far more controversial than marrying an Sikh.

Well im the Sikh girl whos 21 and hes a Hindu boy whos 21 aswell, we met at university.

I think Sikh and Hindu culture are quite similar but like still there are major differences. I just don't know what to do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.