Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People have to stop seeing religion as a culture, it's not. It's a faith. you just don't share the same faith, that's all. Your parents should be happy that you've found someone you love if he makes you happy, that should be all that matters though they may be upset you've kept it from them...
    why not get them to meet him?

ReputationRep:
    Marry me, problem solved. Or you could tell your parents to GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say sit your mum down (who are most liberal in such cases) and explain everything. 21 is still pretty young to be thinking about marriage IMO, but make sure she understands that he really means something to you.

I really hope it goes well, I'd hate to be in your position. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Just come out and tell them, Indian parents can be a bit iffy on things like this but still I can't believe people are still against inter-religious marriage nowadays. It's not like you're marrying another species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well im the Sikh girl whos 21 and hes a Hindu boy whos 21 aswell, we met at university.

I think Sikh and Hindu culture are quite similar but like still there are major differences. I just don't know what to do.

stop being an idiot. What does it matter, for god's sake, if he is a Hindu ? I am an orthodox and my boyfriend is a Sikh. Buhu !!! What am I gonna do ???? I love him but what if my parents are sad ?
    **** my parents is the answer. If they dont want me to be happy, why would I care about making them happy with my decisions ??

btw my parents are completely fine with it. Because they are in their right minds....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    hindus look down on sikhs (i think)
    huh, really? from what i know. hindus and sikhs do marry, unless of course, well, i dont know why you arent allowed to inter marry

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are blinded by prejudice. Why is it that people cannot enjoy, rather than hate, our differences?

Ludicrous.

cheers

GJ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossManSingh)
    Marry me, problem solved. Or you could tell your parents to GTFO.
    dude thas a wiked username lol ! Khiddah .... !

anyways what do your parents think about hindus and sikh marriage ... do they not talk about it or are they against it ? Im off to eat ROCKYS !! will come back and check whats everyone saying lol !

(Original post by Xristina)
    stop being an idiot. What does it matter, for god's sake, if he is a Hindu ? I am an orthodox and my boyfriend is a Sikh. Buhu !!! What am I gonna do ???? I love him but what if my parents are sad ?
    **** my parents is the answer. If they dont want me to be happy, why would I care about making them happy with my decisions ??

btw my parents are completely fine with it. Because they are in their right minds....
    You clearly have it easy.

Some peoples parents aren't that understanding, so stfu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    You clearly have it easy.

Some peoples parents aren't that understanding, so stfu.

then some peoples parents should stop being idiots. Exactly because I am in a relationship like that I get even more angry at people who have these views. I just don't understand it. If these parents love their children they should care for their happiness. If they don't then they clearly are crappy parents when it comes to understanding their children's needs and wants.

ReputationRep:
    then some peoples parents should stop being idiots. Exactly because I am in a relationship like that I get even more angry at people who have these views. I just don't understand it. If these parents love their children they should care for their happiness. If they don't then they clearly are crappy parents when it comes to understanding their children's needs and wants.
    Agreed.

cheers

GJ

ReputationRep:
    If you both are really serious about each other than there is nothing you can do besides talk to your parents and tell them. You have to be firm with them.. at the end of the day its your life. But before you do talk to your parents make sure you are 100% that he is the guy for you and that you both do want to get married.. your still both very young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaius Julius)
    Agreed.

cheers

GJ
    lol and I was thinking right now that I completely agree with what you said about enjoying differences, rather than hate. What I found one of the most interesting extra bonus things in my relationship was the difference in culture. Now every day is twice as interesting. And I must say I love learning how he lives, what he eats, his language, his beliefs, diversity is wonderful, people should enjoy it rather than avoid it !

Exactly, it's the parents' fault. I don't see how the OP is an idiot just because she is scared about telling her parents. Like I said, not everyone has it easy.

ReputationRep:
    If she's brown, that's all I ask for (well that's what my mum says anyway )

To be honest I don't think him being a hindu is a problem. At least he's not a muslim (I'm a muslim before anyone says anything, lol).

It really shouldn't make any difference anyway. Asian parents always like their kids marrying into their own religion, but if it doesn't happen they're not going to say anything or complain.

ReputationRep:
    If you're both serious then it's your decision not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    Exactly, it's the parents' fault. I don't see how the OP is an idiot just because she is scared about telling her parents. Like I said, not everyone has it easy.
    If she loves him enough, she won't care about her parents' reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well im the Sikh girl whos 21 and hes a Hindu boy whos 21 aswell, we met at university.

I think Sikh and Hindu culture are quite similar but like still there are major differences. I just don't know what to do.
    Bit young to be thinking about marriage aren't you?

Talk to your parents, if they say no, go ahead with it anyway. If they don't care about their child's happiness then they're obviously not worth it.

I just realised my Great Grandad was a Hindu who converted to Sikhism for the Khalsa Army...maybe they will accept then?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess so, culturally both religions are similar. But, religion wise, there's a stark difference between them.

From what I've learnt about Sikhism, and being a Sikh myself, interracial marriages are accepted since Sikhism is made on the foundation of equality. Although, ideally its better to marry a Sikh to prolong the Sikh faith in terms of having children who have a religious upbringing of the religion. Maybe, if you try and make them understand the actual teachings of Sikhism? where it is actually accepted...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.