Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am Sikh and he is Hindu! [♥] watch

ReputationRep:
    Do what you think is best, try to talk to your parents about it. I'm not certain but the two religions are more similar than, say for example, Sikhism and Christianity?

See how it goes for a while Make it clear that you and your other half would last and be good for each other :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like the plot of a potentially lucrative screen-play ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

Well basically for a year now I have had a Hindu boyfriend and I am a Sikh myself. We are scared to tell our parents incase they won't let us get married! Also restrict me from seeing him .

But both our families are originally from India! We are British Indians. So they should right? What should I do!!?

I need advice and help asap!

Thanks
    oh jeez...i hate it when religious and cultural differences kicks in.....always....

To be honest theres nothing much you can do. Yo can still see him but your parents will probably say something like "i'll disown you" or "youre a disgrace to the family".
    I'd wait till you're 18 and off to uni when you can make your own choices. Whatever your parents think from then you can ignore.
    If you're still a teenager its best to obey their "commands" as you know as well as I know and as well as everyone in this forum knows, that indian parents are COMPLETELY different from western parents.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Well basically for a year now I have had a Hindu boyfriend and I am a Sikh myself. We are scared to tell our parents incase they won't let us get married! Also restrict me from seeing him .

But both our families are originally from India! We are British Indians. So they should right? What should I do!!?

Thanks
    What are you talking about, of course its possible to get married between Sikh and Hindus, it happnes all the time. My cousin is married to a hindu. There isn't any real big differences between the 2 religions so the cultural aspects are much the same. If you had a muslim boyfriend, well that would be a completly different story!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    What are you talking about, of course its possible to get married between Sikh and Hindus, it happnes all the time. My cousin is married to a hindu. There isn't any real big differences between the 2 religions so the cultural aspects are much the same. If you had a muslim boyfriend, well that would be a completly different story!!
    Yeah, culturally they can quite similar. But between the religions, there is a stark difference. Sikhism derives from Hinduism, but both religions possess total different believes/teachings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gagannn_)
    Yeah, culturally they can quite similar. But between the religions, there is a stark difference. Sikhism derives from Hinduism, but both religions possess total different believes/teachings.
    Not really, both believe in the same philiosphy however Sikhs don't believe God can be human or the caste system, and that's not strictly in their holy text either. That's about it really.

(Original post by Charzhino)
    Not really, both believe in the same philiosphy however Sikhs don't believe God can be human or the caste system, and that's not strictly in their holy text either. That's about it really.
    I think your forgetting the major fact that sikhism has the one true Guru!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    dude thas a wiked username lol ! Khiddah .... !

anyways what do your parents think about hindus and sikh marriage ... do they not talk about it or are they against it ? Im off to eat ROCKYS !! will come back and check whats everyone saying lol !
    Thanks

Erm they probably want me to marry a sikh, probably will if not.. what can they do

ReputationRep:
    what is the difference between the two

ReputationRep:
    There are major differences:

- Sikhism is built on the foundation of equality and Sikhs do not engage in rituals and ceremonies which can make a person inferior or superior e.g. women fasting for their husbands. Sikhism also does not support ascetism
    - Sikhs do not worship after avatars as its limits God's form
    - Sikhs strictly do not believe in superstitions, e.g. Sikhs do not believe that you need a priest to match people for marriages, or auspiscious times
    - The basic belief of the destiny of a Sikh is, if a Sikh conducts in meditation of God and selfless services such as donating money to the unfortunate, they are able to gain salvation, which means merging with God.

There are more differences, but I have to go right now. :P But that's some of them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    I know a guy who went out with a Hindi girl for 2 years but couldn't get married to her because he's Sikh.

It's frowned upon in our society, and the people replying to this should understand that you can't ignore your families wishes. I don't agree with the restrictions where you can only marry Sikh if you are Sikh, but that's just how it is and we have to get on with it.

For girls I'd say it's more strict than for guys, but you just have to tell your parents and see what they say.

At least you aren't going out with a Muslim.
    Well maybe you can't ignore them but (from a 'replying person' point of view) it's ridiculous to let your parents have that level of control over you, especially when you're an adult. You can have a civil marriage, you just have to decide if it's worth it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Tell your parents he's a White atheist, wait a day, then say your were joking, he's actually a Pakistani Muslim, then wait a day, and tell them he's actually an Indian Sikh. They'll probably be quite happy by then.
    UNless they kill her on the first day.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    Hey girl, definitely don't worry, esp. considering you're in Britain now so usually parents aren't that strict (unless your parents are really really different). I've seen all sorts of Indian combos: Hindu-Sikh (um sort of...not rly sikh per se), Hindu-Christian, Muslim-Christian, Hindu-Muslim, Hindu-atheist. And I don't even have to mention the non-Indian combos. I think even if your parents are somewhat strict, they'll be pleased that you at least went Indian! True love is true love! :coma:

ReputationRep:
    **** your parents. The only reason they do this is because they didn't have to chance to choose their partner themselves. You get in there, son, and shag whatever hole you please.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks
    OooOOO getting married to a sikh is going to be hard but not too bad..

Your parents are going to majorly pissed off- don't bring it up unless YOU DEFO know that you wanna be together.

I mean is he REALLY worth it.?

What if parents disown you? I mean would you still risk that?

Its better ( not as bad of a situation) than a hindu/muslim marriage.

Sikhism and Hinduism are from the same roots I think (Im not sure)
    ( Yep im going to loads of hindus and sikhs ripping my head about this?!)

If you are serious good luck- it takes balls to marry a person from the different religion.

Fight for whats worth fighting for...

Cause they might be pissed off if the marriage doesnt work out and since you are in the state of "not being a virgin" they arent going to be too happy letting you a second marriage...

I mean a YEAR IS NOTHING in my eyes, if you are really really serious about it give it more thought. Talk to your bf about it... is he ready? Are you ready or is the idea so awesome you can just picture the good side....

Can you cope without the family support if the situation arose that they did disown you? (Something asians take for granted)

As for restirctions- make sure no one knows about him espescially siblings.

What they dont know can't hurt them

Im not judging you- food for thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhukranti)
    Hey girl, definitely don't worry, esp. considering you're in Britain now so usually parents aren't that strict (unless your parents are really really different). I've seen all sorts of Indian combos: Hindu-Sikh (um sort of...not rly sikh per se), Hindu-Christian, Muslim-Christian, Hindu-Muslim, Hindu-atheist. And I don't even have to mention the non-Indian combos. I think even if your parents are somewhat strict, they'll be pleased that you at least went Indian! True love is true love! :coma:

Totally true love is true love... and I agree that is does depend on how liberal you aswell as your parents!

I disagree- some sikhs, such as the jatt caste, would consider the marriage a big no no - taking from experience, my mates mum found out her marry relationship and was FURIOUS that she was with a "hindu" boy.

Its not even just religion there are "caste" boundaries too... if you marry someone from a different cast even if you are the same religion and country.

And I think my parents would be more pissed off with a indian hindu/sikh marriage than marrying a white person!

I love all races btw :yes:

ReputationRep:
    My brother has a hindu girlfriend and they both finally told their parents; yes at first they weren't happy, but if you parents love you, they will accept it (getting married next summer!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    I know a guy who went out with a Hindi girl for 2 years but couldn't get married to her because he's Sikh.

It's frowned upon in our society, and the people replying to this should understand that you can't ignore your families wishes. I don't agree with the restrictions where you can only marry Sikh if you are Sikh, but that's just how it is and we have to get on with it.

For girls I'd say it's more strict than for guys, but you just have to tell your parents and see what they say.

At least you aren't going out with a Muslim.
    So true!

Sikhismis much more flexible in my opinion in a good way ( im from a muslim family although not practising)

Just tell them. My cousin married a Sikh, and at first his parents were quite pissed off but now they're over it.

ReputationRep:
    I think your forgetting the major fact that sikhism has the one true Guru!!!!
    It doesnt matter, both religions don't say that their religion is the truest, anyone can reach salvation so in that terms there really not that different. Why is your parents agaisnt it anyway, what's the specific reason?
    EDIT: Sorry you are anon #2, ignore that last question

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.