Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am a muslim...I'm gay..What can i do :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mozzy1411)
    Are you telling me that God would talk about incest regarding his Prophet?

Genesis 19:33 - King James Version

33And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
    34And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
    35And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
    36Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

haadha shay' tayyib?
    Allah himself tells us in the Quran that he sent down the bible. Yes, it has been changed a lot by man and this is why we cannot take from it or trust it, but it was still originally the word of God. No Muslim should deny that.

ReputationRep:
    Go with it mate, you'll find there's nothing else you can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04ghicks)
    As an athiest gay male, I find the replies from Mozzy offensive.

While Im sure what they are saying is the word of the Qu'ran, I suppose my inner common sense (praise be to atheism) is screaming something along the lines of:

Why are you risking ruining your life, wasting your time on this earth living an unhappy, unfulfilling and confusing life because a dusty old tome written by ancient politicians tells you it is wrong?

You can only be yourself, your sexuality is not something you can change, and those who manage the impossible task of oppressing it, generally lead unhappy lives.

So I suppose the choice is yours.
    Be true to yourself, and live a fulfilling life.
    Be true to your religion, and be cursed will unhappiness

Would the seemingly benevolent Allah really even consider the latter?
    Would a 'god' have created life just to watch it squirm? If so, you wont find me knocking on the pearly gates ready to give him my good graces.

Note: Apologies if Muslims find this offensive. My only conflict with religion is when its false and outdated morals conflict with the laws of common sense.
    Hear, hear.

Life is too short to worry about what some imaginary character thinks of the things you do that make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    Religion makes me sad.

ReputationRep:
    ohh boy...

I suggest you kept your gayness till you are 18 and leave the house.
    From that point, the world is your oyster and you can be however gay you like and no one will even give a damn!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    You must stand up for who you are. Become a mechanism of change. You'l usually find that a gay person coming out in a family that is not very acceptive of homosexuality, completely readdresses the questions, and makes those people see things in new ways. As otherwise, a gay man was someone they heard of, and not know of.

It will still be very hard for you I imagine, but you should not remain locked in your closet. Move away to university or get a job far from home, so you are able to have your own space.

ReputationRep:
    As a last resort you could find a nice gay Muslim girl in a similar situation to you, get married, have kids if you want but both see other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vortex_199)
    Allah himself tells us in the Quran that he sent down the bible. Yes, it has been changed a lot by man and this is why we cannot take from it or trust it, but it was still originally the word of God. No Muslim should deny that.
    I don't think that's quite true - The Qur'an says that Allah sent down the Injeel. The Bible is not the Injeel, nor is it a modified form of the Injeel.

Most of the New Testament was written many years after the death of Jesus - but the Injeel was a revelation from God which was given directly to Jesus.

The Bible says that Jesus used to preach the evangelion (gospel). But he wasn't walking around with a Bible in his hand, there was no such thng. He was preaching the evangelion (Injeel in Arabic) which is a completely different book.

ReputationRep:
    This thread saddens me. Religion is such a horrible thing, agh.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the mindless liberal douches on this board - they have no idea :rolleyes:. Be strong and resist - abstain from sexual sin - keep your mind occupied on other things. This is your test from god - will you pass it or fail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    Which has no religious backing, FYI, which am sure you know...
    Well, the Jews would disagree with you there...

That it is not expressly demanded in the Qu'ran is irrelevant - nor is wearing a hijab, or the female genital mutilation that remains prevalent only in Muslim countries. The point is that people use the religion to justify it: Islam as a religion and Arabic culture become mixed. I no noone whose parents, being sound of mind, would subject their child to this degrading mutilation; only when superstition (or being American) is added into the mix does it becomes 'justifiable'.

There is some suggestion, further, that the Hadiths justify it; and let us not forget that 70% of males circumcised are Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vortex_199)
    Rant much?
    Did you actually read the trash the guy I was quoting was coming out with? And this is standard - mindless bleating. Sex is wrong. We're all sinners. You're weak for not being able to keep up. Blah blah blah.

These things contribute to the surplus of human misery.

ReputationRep:
    Muhammad was illiterate. He could neither read nor write. The Qur'an is not written by man, it is the words of Allah. In the Qur'an it talks about homosexuality, sorry I don't understand what you mean about it being removed. Christians know that the Bible is not the word of God.
    "All scripture is God-breathed..." - Letter of St. Paul to the Romans (I think...!)

The difference is that what with the Reformation and the fact that some of them have actually read the Bible, many Christians have realised it does not agree with itself, never mind reality - hence the compromise of believing the parts they want to. There is still a mad minority who believes it is the literal word of god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niall c)
    "All scripture is God-breathed..." - Letter of St. Paul to the Romans (I think...!)

The difference is that what with the Reformation and the fact that some of them have actually read the Bible, many Christians have realised it does not agree with itself, never mind reality - hence the compromise of believing the parts they want to. There is still a mad minority who believes it is the literal word of god.
    Hence the compromise of the religion, which leads to watering it down, and making it more socially acceptable. That is also, perhaps what drives many to Atheism or being Agnostic-the contradictions that is. For Muslims, the Qur'an is Allah's words, no contradiction in them and how can we water them down when he has told us to do such a thing. Anyone who thinks that Homosexuality is not a sin in Christianity, Judaism or Islam, perhaps didn't really pay attention in R.E classes. Anyone who tries to interpret Islam as being a religion that does not have a problem with Homosexuality is wrong, and the texts are clear on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    Ignore the mindless liberal douches on this board - they have no idea :rolleyes:. Be strong and resist - abstain from sexual sin - keep your mind occupied on other things. This is your test from god - will you pass it or fail?
    Your name sums up all there is to say on this kind of view.

You do realise the irony of calling those that are suggesting individualism "mindless" while yourself calling for blind following of thoughtless dogma, of a test from a teacher he's never seen in a class he can't even be sure he's in, right?

You are also aware how similar your rhetoric sounds to that of Fascism? I think it was Jerry Falwell that said "Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions but just obey". Do you actually desire this?

Oh, would that people would just *think* freely for a minute...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Damn straight. And I agree with the rest of your post.

BUT to play devils advocate: losing his entire family within a short space of time could really easily lead to depression.
    Thanks!

This is true, and as I said he has to weight that up against the cost of repressing himself... however, firstly, I, for one, could not bear to live such a lie, nor be so weak; but then, I was not brought up in a family with such respect for authority or tradition, so cannot imagine the effect such an upbringing has on your will and love of freedom.

More importantly, in the long term I do not believe it will make you happier denying yourself for short-term happiness. Denying yourself now will lead to an unhappy marriage, constant strain and repression, and in the end a deep, lasting unhappiness in all probability. A break now may lose you your entire family and be extremely painful; but the world's a big place and gay clubs are packed - there will be plenty of opportunity to find true friends who do accept you.

BTW you=one here. Not you specifically!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niall c)
    Your name sums up all there is to say on this kind of view.

You do realise the irony of calling those that are suggesting individualism "mindless" while yourself calling for blind following of thoughtless dogma, of a test from a teacher he's never seen in a class he can't even be sure he's in, right?

You are also aware how similar your rhetoric sounds to that of Fascism? I think it was Jerry Falwell that said "Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions but just obey". Do you actually desire this?

Oh, would that people would just *think* freely for a minute...
    Liberals are utterly selfish, narrow minded and stand for nothing. They have no principles of their own but use 'fancy' rhetoric to justify their evil and denounce those who choose to live their life according to time tested tradition and principle. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hence the compromise of the religion, which leads to watering it down, and making it more socially acceptable. That is also, perhaps what drives many to Atheism or being Agnostic-the contradictions that is. For Muslims, the Qur'an is Allah's words, no contradiction in them and how can we water them down when he has told us to do such a thing. Anyone who thinks that Homosexuality is not a sin in Christianity, Judaism or Islam, perhaps didn't really pay attention in R.E classes. Anyone who tries to interpret Islam as being a religion that does not have a problem with Homosexuality is wrong, and the texts are clear on this.
    R.S. classes nowadays would not be allowed to preach, as it were, such intolerance - especially when it is only a fringe minority that is actively anti-homosexual in either of the more moderate Abrahamic religions. The part banning homosexuality, it is my impression, is in the same part that bans wearing multi-fibre clothing, and is among a large passage discussing oxen breeding. These lines are archaic and not in line with reality.

Islam does contain contradictions. The Qu'ran is not the unerring word of God. I refer you to Ibn Warraq's textual analysis thereof, pointing to discrepencies such as the speaker (at times the narrator is that of Muhammad, not God), poor style (sentences in the wrong case etc.), and abrogation. The Qu'ran we have is the one that triumphed over 13 variant readings; when it was written, Arabic text was still unpointed. And this is not to mention the absurdity of the one God's final revelation being apparently readable perfectly only in Arabic - what about the rest of us?!

But this is off-topic. Focus on the trouble this book is causing to this man.

ReputationRep:
    There is a saying of the Prophet Muhammad in which he states: "This world is a paradise for the non-believer, and a prison for the believer".

This doesn't mean Muslims have no fun or anything. Rather it means that non-believers live for this world, and everything in it. Wishing for short term happiness, like getting high on drugs or drinking alcohol by some. But, inevitable you will crash back down to reality and the problem is still there. In contrast to this the believer lives for the next, eternal life in which he will have that which he desires. This life is a test, just a short time. Be patient and you will find out what happiness really is. No hardship can overcome another hardship, rather it is followed by ease.

It comes down to whether you wish to have a reward in this life and pay for it in the next, where the punishment is really unbearable. Or if you wish to have a reward from your Lord Most High, with gardens, underneath them rivers. Palaces of gold and silver, rivers of milk, honey and wine. The last person to get into Paradise will have ten times the like of this world and everything in it. By the way don't think this world refers to earth. Rather it is the universe, and everything in it. Imagine. Forever. Never ending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    Liberals are utterly selfish, narrow minded and stand for nothing. They have no principles of their own but use 'fancy' rhetoric to justify their evil and denounce those who choose to live their life according to time tested tradition and principle. :rolleyes:
    Irony, once again, is apparently beyond your grasp. In the same sentence you pigeon-hole an entire group of people you call them "narrow minded"?

The rest of your post is nonsensical and all, frankly, I can say to it, is that you research other "time tested tradition and principles" such as slavery, women's lack of the vote and racism. Decide whether it was the liberals or the conservatives, in those instances, who were fighting for the more 'evil' side.

Good and evil are meaningless concepts except insofar as they relate to the increase or decrease in human happiness; abstract commandments are irrelevant. In this situation, satisfying an invisible man in the sky is decreasing the OP's happiness - I, for one, would call that evil.

Also, I'm glad that as a group liberals don't stand for anything in common. Long live the individual; die, dogma.

ON TOPIC PEOPLE.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.