Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am a muslim...I'm gay..What can i do :( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niall c)
    Irony, once again, is apparently beyond your grasp. In the same sentence you pigeon-hole an entire group of people you call them "narrow minded"?

The rest of your post is nonsensical and all, frankly, I can say to it, is that you research other "time tested tradition and principles" such as slavery, women's lack of the vote and racism. Decide whether it was the liberals or the conservatives, in those instances, who were fighting for the more 'evil' side.

Good and evil are meaningless concepts except insofar as they relate to the increase or decrease in human happiness; abstract commandments are irrelevant. In this situation, satisfying an invisible man in the sky is decreasing the OP's happiness - I, for one, would call that evil.

Also, I'm glad that as a group liberals don't stand for anything in common. Long live the individual; die, dogma.

ON TOPIC PEOPLE.
    Get off that phoney moral high horse of yours!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mozzy1411)
    Rather it is the universe, and everything in it. Imagine. Forever. Never ending.
    Unending, unenduring, bliss and uniformity. How incredibly boring. Have you read Brave New World?

Just one question - what if you're wrong? What if you believe this only because your parents told you it and you've not seriously, logically thought it through, or resolved things like the Problem of Evil - what if you waste your life in proud misery, like so many have? What if God is more interested in people being good and honest than following rules written by man 1400 years ago, rules that plainly contradict common sense, morality and happiness?

Think of all the people wasting their lives...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    Get off that phoney moral high horse of yours!!! :rolleyes:
    haha a high horse has to be tethered conveniently within reach...

ReputationRep:
    There are no contradictions. Perhaps there are some weak attempts at harming Islam from some people, though these are easily refutable and often rely upon weak and unauthentic transmissions of the Prophet. Really, you have no case when you refer to poor sentence structure. Only a native Arab speaker studying Arabic even though he knows the language would be able to have a glimpse behind the eloquence of the words. Some verses were abrogated, and the wisdom of this lies with Allah. We hear and obey Him.

The Qur'an has more than one variation but it is not in a manner that you think. Rather it is due to the accents of some of the Arabs that have a lazy tongue and naturally speak Arabic in such a manner. Arabic is not really an easy language to learn. The meanings I should point out, are the same. Except for a few words such as "Maaliki Yawmid Deen" in one type of recitation means Master of the Day of Religion (Day of Judgement) and "Maliki Yawmid Deen" Which would mean King of the Day of Religion.

The dotting of the letters came later because the Arabs knew their language, they know what makes sense in terms of words. Not to mention the vast majority of them were illiterate including the Messenger of Allah Muhammad.

Yes, Arabic was chosen as the language as it was being revealed to Arabs at the time so that they may understand. However, it is for everybody and this is why many Muslims choose to learn Arabic to a sufficient level. Non-Arabs do not understand the beauty of the Arabic language, nor it's grammar nor its structure. It is not similar to other languages and is far more complex. People have degrees in the subject, and yet fail to understand basic poetry. There are interpretations in a number of languages however.

Let us focus on what the increasingly immoral society is teaching him.

ReputationRep:
    find a muslim lesbian and marry her.both will be helping each other out lol

ReputationRep:
    We have a saying in Arabic - "Naql fawqul 'Aql". It means you follow rather than use your common sense. We listen to the words of Allah and believe them. Using common sense would only distort your views on Islam, an example that the people of old used to say was that how can their be trees floating in the sky. Or modern examples such as the weak question "If there is God why is there so much suffering in the world?".

Believe me when I tell you that I do not follow it because of my parents. Sayings of the Prophet Muhammad in the words of Allah are being discovered only now in the western world when they were known to Muslims more than 1400 years ago. There are many instances of scientists reverting to Islam, due to their knowledge of science and what they see before them in Islam.

If we talk logic, then how can something come from nothing. Was the universe created by a mere explosion. Was life created due to cells replicating over millions of years? Anyone with as they say "an ounce of logic" would denounce such a thing.

Our logic is flawed. Only the wisdom of Allah Almighty is limitless and perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't think that's quite true - The Qur'an says that Allah sent down the Injeel. The Bible is not the Injeel, nor is it a modified form of the Injeel.

Most of the New Testament was written many years after the death of Jesus - but the Injeel was a revelation from God which was given directly to Jesus.

The Bible says that Jesus used to preach the evangelion (gospel). But he wasn't walking around with a Bible in his hand, there was no such thng. He was preaching the evangelion (Injeel in Arabic) which is a completely different book.
    The Injeel is the Bible. That is the translation. Just like the Towrah is the Torah.

The Bible has been changed and rewritten by priests and others to suit the times and as a result it is no longer credible as far as Muslims are concerned, but it did originally come from Allah.

As Muslims, we are not supposed to take from the words of the Bible and Torah, but we aren't supposed to deny it either, as we could be denying God's words. For one, Ibn Kathir used many references from the Bible in The Stories of the Prophets (after bringing it to the reader's attention that it was from the Bible and so not to be taken as complete truth).

ReputationRep:
    There are no contradictions. Perhaps there are some weak attempts at harming Islam from some people, though these are easily refutable and often rely upon weak and unauthentic transmissions of the Prophet. Really, you have no case when you refer to poor sentence structure. Only a native Arab speaker studying Arabic even though he knows the language would be able to have a glimpse behind the eloquence of the words. Some verses were abrogated, and the wisdom of this lies with Allah. We hear and obey Him.
    The critic was a native Arab speaker.

The Qur'an has more than one variation but it is not in a manner that you think
    According to said scholar, there were 14 rival versions - and not just dialects. Again, refer to the name I gave you - as you said, I, unable to speak Arabic, do not have the expertise in this area.

Dotting
    right...so if the Qu'ran was written before the Arabs knew their own language...? The point here is, again, that there was no way to distinguish between several letters (eg c and th) leading to potential different readings

Arabic was chosen as the language as it was being revealed to Arabs at the time so that they may understand.
    This emphasies but misses my point. How can the one true god, without whom one cannot ascend to heaven, speak only Arabic? He's cutting off the vast majority of the world for no reason. In fact, given that he apparently chose a hugely complicated language, he seemingly deliberately excluded people from even learning it later in life! What a ****.

As for 'immoral' societies - I'd rather this than a clerical police, an obsession with adultery and enforcement against apostasy, that 'highest crime' you mentioned.

You have to realise that your interpretation of a 1400 year old book is not the only source of morality, and others will differ -and if what they do does noone any harm, who are you to argue?

Also, your English is very good.

ReputationRep:
    Or modern examples such as the weak question "If there is God why is there so much suffering in the world?".
    In what sense is that a weak question? I'm yet to hear a satisfactory answer. Free will may explain human evil - but why did this god dump us on a cooling planet with earthquakes, volcanos and tsunamis, with infections and diseases, with viruses that evolve to be beyond our control? Where does free will come into HIV? Only a capricious god would not just allow, but actively create, these things. Or is this huge, unnecessary suffering just another part of the test? Do babies killed by earthquakes get into heaven straight away?

There are many instances of scientists reverting to Islam, due to their knowledge of science and what they see before them in Islam.
    I've heard this argument before - but only from someone who had not read a word of the Qu'ran. I looked it up myself, and one of the examples was "the Qu'ran predicted the invention of the motor car, as a certain Surah says "and other forms of transport, yet to be revealed to you". If you truly believe that this is evidence towards the Qu'ran's truth, then you have no standards whatsoever for evidence. Da Vinci must be positively divine.... More importantly, there is no instance of a scientist reverting to Islam: that would be diametrically opposed to the scientific method and, in any case, just plain stupid. Provide examples of these predictions, and show that not only were they not easy predictions to make but also that they can only be interpreted to mean one thing, i.e. the event that happened, or be quiet. I would love to hear why, if the Qu'ran is so obviously true, it did not just go all out and say "this is Pi to a million decimal places - one day you'll find this true!"

If we talk logic, then how can something come from nothing. Was the universe created by a mere explosion. Was life created due to cells replicating over millions of years? Anyone with as they say "an ounce of logic" would denounce such a thing.

Our logic is flawed.

Indeed, how can something come from nothing? Whence came Allah? I agree that your logic is, indeed flawed. You clearly have not thought through - at all- the alternatives to the dogma of creation, and I suggest you do some research on the topic. Even the most basic level of scientific education would show you the current explanations from these things; even the most basic general reading, philosophy or thought would show you you cannot, without research - which plainly you are - just say "the scientific consensus sounds ridiculous, it must be false".

Also, stop bleating meaningless lines about Allah - I can only repeat that you should read Brave New World, because these little clichés sound far too like their rhyming sayings for comfort.

ReputationRep:
    If there's a conflict between who you know you are and the doctrines of a religion...think carefully about how sure you are the religion is true. Take into account the conflict - why would a god create you gay but then make it a sin to be so? "Created sick and commanded to be well" indeed.

Even if you decide that Allah does exist, can you be sure Islam is the right interpretation of Him? It claims to be the final, unalterable revelation. Do some research - is there even one contradiction within it? Why *do* you believe it? Do you have to accept the entire account, or can you, for example, reject the part about homosexuality?

In the end, your choice is between yourself and your religion. In my opinion the latter is but a set of shackles, and keeping yourself within them will make you far less happy...but it's your choice.

The bigger issue is your family. Even should you decide to sort out this conflict by abandoning Islam and embracing yourself, your whole family network and perhaps many of your friends will, as you say, possibly be lost. There's not much one can say on that except that if they prioritise blind faith over their own son, brother or nephew, they are not thinking straight and likely never will. It would not be your fault. In the end, the choice is between short-term happiness and security, or honesty and integrity - potentially leading to a longer-term, deeper happiness, you proud and happy to be yourself among people - and there are many of them out there - who accept you for who you are, not who they're told you should be.

Good luck. I'm thankful every day that I was not born into a family dictating whether I could be gay or straight, theist or atheist, eat pork or not, when and with whom I could have sex, and most of all that did not mutilate my genitalia, with the threat of eternal damnation to back it up. I hope to have helped you, who clearly are in this situation!
    Please keep your SH*T TO YOURSELF !

Bro, just because someone is gay or not they start believing god isnt real? we breathe oxygen and can't see it with our naked eyes im sure 1400 years ago they was contemplating things like this. If your gay and want to carry on being gay, dont call yourself muslim. If you want to be muslim, then go see an imam, im sure if your really muslim 100 years or so of life is nothing compared to the hereafter.

The person i quoted... :rant: and keep your :toilet: to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The critic was a native Arab speaker.

According to said scholar, there were 14 rival versions - and not just dialects. Again, refer to the name I gave you - as you said, I, unable to speak Arabic, do not have the expertise in this area.

right...so if the Qu'ran was written before the Arabs knew their own language...? The point here is, again, that there was no way to distinguish between several letters (eg c and th) leading to potential different readings

This emphasies but misses my point. How can the one true god, without whom one cannot ascend to heaven, speak only Arabic? He's cutting off the vast majority of the world for no reason. In fact, given that he apparently chose a hugely complicated language, he seemingly deliberately excluded people from even learning it later in life! What a ****.

As for 'immoral' societies - I'd rather this than a clerical police, an obsession with adultery and enforcement against apostasy, that 'highest crime' you mentioned.

You have to realise that your interpretation of a 1400 year old book is not the only source of morality, and others will differ -and if what they do does noone any harm, who are you to argue?

Also, your English is very good.
    If the Ibn Warraq is the same one that I know, then he is not a native Arab. He is of Pakistani origin. The people of Pakistan speak Urdu and a few other languages/dialects/variations. He supposedly studied Islam in Pakistan, but then went to the UK to study. If pursuing a career in Islamic studies, then UK is one of the worst places to go surely? In any case we heard that he was influenced by the society and teachers in the Kingdom (his teachers were non-Muslim) and began to speak openly against Islam. He wrote a book called something along the lines of "Why Islam is not for me" or a similar title, I forgot.

There needs to be a distinguishing of 'Scholar' from 'Student' from 'Layman'. Although he professes to be a scholar, and his peers agree, of Islam while being non-Muslim, he is neither a student nor a layman. His knowledge of Islam is weak, and a professor in Islamic studies in the United Kingdom can hardly be called a scholar even if he has ten doctorates.

Could I please see the article where it states there are 14 rival versions?

Dotting- forgive me, I did not explain. Letters in Arabic have a set shape then the dot determines what it is. For example two dots on top of a letter will be pronounced as 'Taa'. However the same letter shape, but with three dots on top, will be pronounced 'Thaa" (similar to the 'th' in theology). Before a person called Al-Hajjaaj bin Yusuf Ath-Thaqafi there were no dots on the letters. However, the words were still readable to those who had the knowledge, as it is their language. They know it would only make sense if the letter was pronounced in such a way.

No one said He merely speaks Arabic. He is the creator of everything and with him as the knowledge of all things. He is The All-Knower.

Choosing such a language has a wisdom behind it, which He knows. Sometimes things may appear strange to us even barbaric, though wouldn't you agree the creator has most knowledge about that which he creates? The weak spots? The limitations? Although we can try to explain it, and we say that Arabic was chosen perhaps because He favoured that language over the rest. His prophet was from the Arabian Peninsula, so surely it would make sense to explain things in Arabic? Moreover, the eloquence and beauty of the Arabic language and the rules that apply to it are seen in no other language. I will give you an example. The ablution for prayer - Wudhu. It's order is mentioned in the Qur'an. Washing, of the limbs such as the face, arms and so on. It mentions the wiping of the hair on the head, and the washing of feet. Note that the wiping is in the middle of washing. It is well known amongst the people, that washing something purifies it more than simply wiping over something with water. From that we deduce that washing is better than wiping. Wiping in Arabic therefore in it's eloquence should come after washing when ever mentioned. However, this is not the case in the Qur'an. From that we take the ruling that the the order of the limbs to be washed and wiped is to be in that exact order, other wise the grammatical eloquence wouldn't have been contradicted.

Really? I personally would prefer it if I were a non-Muslim, to have my sisters, mother, aunts, daughter to be protected by the state from lecherous men rather than them being allowed to go out exposing what is theirs in front of men who will inevitably be attracted to it. It is like putting a fat sheep amidst a pack of hungry wolves.

Believing it is divine, I would naturally agree that it is the best source of morals, and the way to live seeing as the creator gave us these rules. Unfortunately, the morals derived from man made laws are not the best. This is why we look at countries deemed to be economically ahead of our countries in Asia, yet their figures for crime are so high. A recent report had the rape rate in South Africa as once every 26 seconds. To me that is an unacceptable (though even one incidence is unacceptable) for a nation held in high esteem in the eyes of the people, compared to our nations. This is where it does do harm to us, because no matter who it is, if she is innocent then why should should be subjected to such a traumatic and tragic experience? Though if people are stubborn and reluctant to change to our laws that have been revealed divinely, then that is okay also. We will not enforce Islam on anybody, and this is stated in the Qur'an also, "There is no compulsion in religion".

Alhamdulillah (praise is due to Allah). Thank you.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a gay lad...thing is i'm muslim and i don't know what to do? My family will just completely disown me...They are very westernised but do stick to their religion. I don't want to cause my family any stress or make them ill or anything...most of all i dont want to loose them. I'm 21 and cant imagine my life without a family. I do also believe in islam i just cant help my feelings at all i feel like im committing the biggest sin possible and i just cant live my life with a woman its unfair to her thinking i love her and what if we have kids?!?! being born into a loveless marriage I want kids etc but then i can't have one can i? I just don't know what to do so many problems and complications in my situation!!! anyone else in this situation? or anyone know anything?
    If you want to remain Muslim, then don't persue gayness. Think of it as a feeling that you can't help.

Or else move away and recant Islam; become openly gay and do whatever you want to do.

It depends on what you want, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vortex_199)
    The Injeel is the Bible. That is the translation. Just like the Towrah is the Torah.
    No - the word "Bible" simply means "Book".

The words "Good News", "Gospel", "Evangelion" and "Injeel" all mean exactly the same thing.

The Bible is not a revelation from Allah to Jesus - the revelation was the Injeel, which was revealed to Jesus. It's similar to the Qur'an, in that it is literally the word of God, given to Jesus. However, it was not written down and compiled, as the Qur'an was (or rather, there are no known copies of such a thing existing today).

The Bible (NT) is just a collection of writings concerning Jesus, which were written around that time. If you read it, they don't even sound like God's words, addressing Jesus. They're the words of humans, such as Peter, Paul etc.
    It's a bit similar to the Hadith concerning the Prophet Muhammad. It is not the word of God, it's just a set of ancient writings and sayings about the Prophet in question.

The Injeel is not the Bible, the Injeel is what Jesus went around preaching. Jesus did not have a Bible.
    The Bible (NT) was mostly written many years after Jesus left us.

ReputationRep:
    It really does sadden me reading this thread because I believe people should just do what makes them happy as long as its not directly harming someone else. It's a shame there is no such thing as the 'happy balance' and the irony of it all is both Theists and Atheists have their own 'evidence' to back up what they believe however none of it can be completely proven.

Personally I do not follow a religion nor would I consider myself Atheist but I do think the life that we know for sure exists (the one we live in) is too short to worry about what may happen after. You learn from life's experiences and if there is such thing as the afterlife then I am sure there will be a chance to change your ways in that life, just as we do in this life. I myself would not resort to a life of unhappiness and suppressed desires (which I might add in this case are NEEDS to live a happy life, it's natural to want love and sexual intimacy whether it be gay or straight) for the sake of ''what if there is an afterlife and what if I don't get there.''

When it comes down to it, you have to ask yourself is living the here and now in happiness a better idea or is living your life unfulfilled and lonely a decent sacrifice for your belief in the afterlife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    No - the word "Bible" simply means "Book".

The words "Good News", "Gospel", "Evangelion" and "Injeel" all mean exactly the same thing.

The Bible is not a revelation from Allah to Jesus - the revelation was the Injeel, which was revealed to Jesus. It's similar to the Qur'an, in that it is literally the word of God, given to Jesus. However, it was not written down and compiled, as the Qur'an was (or rather, there are no known copies of such a thing existing today).

The Bible (NT) is just a collection of writings concerning Jesus, which were written around that time. If you read it, they don't even sound like God's words, addressing Jesus. They're the words of humans, such as Peter, Paul etc.
    It's a bit similar to the Hadith concerning the Prophet Muhammad. It is not the word of God, it's just a set of ancient writings and sayings about the Prophet in question.

The Injeel is not the Bible, the Injeel is what Jesus went around preaching. Jesus did not have a Bible.
    The Bible (NT) was mostly written many years after Jesus left us.
    And the Quran was not gathered into a book either before the Prophet's death. It was only in Uthman's caliphate, when he feared it would be lost, it was all brought together. Muhammed PBUH conveyed the Quran orally to the companions during his lifetime, the same way Jesus PBUH conveyed the Injeel orally.

I understand your point though. The Bible consists of what is supposed to be the word of God, the word of Jesus, as well as the word of apostles and historians. The Quran, on the other hand, is purely the word of Allah. Still, the core of it is believed to be God's words and the rest added on later.

The term 'Injeel' is used amongst many Arabic scholars to describe the modern day Bible.

ReputationRep:
    For the word of god, there sure are a lot of scientific contradictions :rolleyes: @OP, if you want to live your life as a closeted homo because a storybook says so, go ahead. It's not like the benevolent god and his religion of peace gives you a choice.

ReputationRep:
    Salaam Bro, As you already know carrying out a homosexual act is a big sin in Islam..

Allah says in the Holy Qur’an in reference to the People of Lut (Lot), who were indulging in homosexual acts at the time, “ Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!” (26: 165-166). Allah thus considers such doings to be a transgression.

Allah does not punish those who have these thoughts, but the punishment goes to those who act upon this desire. We are told that those who resist their bad desires and abide by God’s rules and directions are rewarded by inhabiting Jannah (Paradise). The Qur’an says what means:

"And for such as had entertained the fear of standing before their Lord's [tribunal] and had restrained [their] self from lower desires. Their abode will be the Garden."
    (An-Nazi`at 79:40-41)

As for those who do not resist their evil desires, the Qur’an says:

"Then, for such as had transgressed all bounds. And had preferred the life of this world. The Abode will be Hell-Fire." (An-Nazi`at 79:37-39)

So we have to always watch our desires and not strive to fulfill them, as many of the self’s orders are not good. The Qur’an says what means:

"Nor do I absolve my own self [of blame]: the [human] self is certainly prone to evil, unless my Lord do bestow His mercy: but surely my Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" (Yusuf 12:53)

So to protect yourself from inducing you to commit bad actions, you have to feed it with all good nutrition. The nutrition of the human self is prayers—especially optional night prayer (Tahajjud), supplication, maintaining the ties of kinship, voluntary charity, voluntary fasting, etc.

PM me if you want to talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gujii_Giirl)
    Salaam Bro, As you already know carrying out a homosexual act is a big sin in Islam..

Allah says in the Holy Qur’an in reference to the People of Lut (Lot), who were indulging in homosexual acts at the time, “ Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!” (26: 165-166). Allah thus considers such doings to be a transgression.

Allah does not punish those who have these thoughts, but the punishment goes to those who act upon this desire. We are told that those who resist their bad desires and abide by God’s rules and directions are rewarded by inhabiting Jannah (Paradise). The Qur’an says what means:

"And for such as had entertained the fear of standing before their Lord's [tribunal] and had restrained [their] self from lower desires. Their abode will be the Garden."
    (An-Nazi`at 79:40-41)

As for those who do not resist their evil desires, the Qur’an says:

"Then, for such as had transgressed all bounds. And had preferred the life of this world. The Abode will be Hell-Fire." (An-Nazi`at 79:37-39)

So we have to always watch our desires and not strive to fulfill them, as many of the self’s orders are not good. The Qur’an says what means:

"Nor do I absolve my own self [of blame]: the [human] self is certainly prone to evil, unless my Lord do bestow His mercy: but surely my Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" (Yusuf 12:53)

So to protect yourself from inducing you to commit bad actions, you have to feed it with all good nutrition. The nutrition of the human self is prayers—especially optional night prayer (Tahajjud), supplication, maintaining the ties of kinship, voluntary charity, voluntary fasting, etc.

PM me if you want to talk
    Please note that it is forbidden for a woman and man to be alone together. This is known via the Hadeeth (prophetic tradition) in which the Prophet states "A man and woman are not alone together, except Shaytaan (satan) is the third."

This is due to the ineluctable attraction, and temptation. Talking over the internet in a forum where people can see what you are writing is okay, there is more than 2 people. Messaging, or e-mailing each other in private (hence private messaging) is not.

ReputationRep:
    This is due to the ineluctable attraction, and temptation.
    That's so true. Every time I'm around a woman I just get this insane desire to just do her, even if she's hideous. Because all humans are completely attracted to every human of the opposite sex. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    That's so true. Every time I'm around a woman I just get this insane desire to just do her, even if she's hideous. Because all humans are completely attracted to every human of the opposite sex. :rolleyes:
    That would be your lizard/reptilian brain in action located in the centre of your brain. You don't need a religious text to explain why you have these urges. Science has explained it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.