Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    like kettle, saucepans, plates/cuttlery? anyone know ?
    any info appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the halls, but most require you to have your own kitchen stuff, ie: frying pan and a little pot, plates, cutlery, mugs, glasses, chopping board, sieve, fish slice/spatula, wooden spoon. I got a kettle and a little toaster for my room, and a mini George Foreman-style grill thing as well.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main electricals should be provided. Unless you need something like a juicer, blender...that you'll probably have to take your own.
    Your own pots/pans and plates/cuttlery is a definate :yep: don't want to be using other peoples :no: especially if you or a fellow student has special diet requirements (vegetarian, halal, kosher etc.) it's not good to be sharing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    I think the main electricals should be provided. Unless you need something like a juicer, blender...that you'll probably have to take your own.
    Your own pots/pans and plates/cuttlery is a definate :yep: don't want to be using other peoples :no: especially if you or a fellow student has special diet requirements (vegetarian, halal, kosher etc.) it's not good to be sharing it.
    (Original post by Ashley. P)
    Nope. We don't get kettles or toasters ¬_¬

I'm taking a big pan, a little pan, two pots, a big mixing bowl, a small kettle - I'll get a toaster when I'm there, don't want to turn up with one, as will have everyone else! - and then I'm taking some tupperware, and some wooden spoons, spatula etc

ReputationRep:
    Food. Best appliance ever. Highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    I Lived in Trafalgar, and you will need the usual:

Knives and Forks
    Sauspans
    Jugs
    Mugs and glasses
    Kettle

Oven with Hobs, and Microwave are provided.

Just remember though, its most likely that the people you are going to be living with will also bring all those things, i didn't bother with a Kettle, you can also pop to Tesco and pick up all the things you need to save a bit of packing!

ReputationRep:
    i'm bringing my own toaster and kettle - i need tea and toast and i'd feel weird using peoples stuff if i'd just met them :p:

but i've brought almost everything already..i've got; frying pan, saucepans, big plates, small plates, bowls, mixing bowl, colander, sieve, cutlery, chopping boards, baking dishes, cutting knives, scissors, various things like spatulas and tongs, oven gloves, oven timer, whisk, rolling pin, lemon squeeze, garlic press, wooden spoon, glasses, shot glasses, measuring jug, cookie jar (), tea towels, cheese grater, bottle opener, potato peeler and those little plastic boxes for storing/freezing food in (+ still a few more things to pick up like can opener and baking tray etc)

i've got waay more than i really need but i like cooking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofee)
    cookie jar ()

:yikes: Where are you staying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voxxy)
    :yikes: Where are you staying?
    james watson :p:

stay away from my cookies :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    k :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofee)
    i'm bringing my own toaster and kettle - i need tea and toast and i'd feel weird using peoples stuff if i'd just met them :p:

but i've brought almost everything already..i've got; frying pan, saucepans, big plates, small plates, bowls, mixing bowl, colander, sieve, cutlery, chopping boards, baking dishes, cutting knives, scissors, various things like spatulas and tongs, oven gloves, oven timer, whisk, rolling pin, lemon squeeze, garlic press, wooden spoon, glasses, shot glasses, measuring jug, cookie jar (), tea towels, cheese grater, bottle opener, potato peeler and those little plastic boxes for storing/freezing food in (+ still a few more things to pick up like can opener and baking tray etc)

i've got waay more than i really need but i like cooking
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's pretty much sorted their kitchen shopping! Went on an Ikea spree today! I'll share my cookies with you if I can store them in your jar... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's pretty much sorted their kitchen shopping! Went on an Ikea spree today! I'll share my cookies with you if I can store them in your jar... :yes:
    Can I have some as well :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Can I have some as well :awesome:
    Pay for the ingredients, and no probs :p:

Serious question... If I were to set up something like that - you pay for the ingredients, and then chuck a couple of quid on top as payment - do you think people would go for a home cooked meal service? You're actually AT uni, so you've got more idea than I do :p:

ReputationRep:
    deal :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofee)
    deal :cookie:
    Where are you in JW again? I fail at remembering stuff :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    Where are you in JW again? I fail at remembering stuff :cookie:
    D-3-15-4

ReputationRep:

Serious question... If I were to set up something like that - you pay for the ingredients, and then chuck a couple of quid on top as payment - do you think people would go for a home cooked meal service? You're actually AT uni, so you've got more idea than I do :p:
    Mhm, no I dont think that would work...because they could just cook it themselves couldnt they?...also, at Uni a lot of students prefer eating out...Kens, Subway etc...these businesses are making some serious cash because they are cheap, quick etc...
    Although, your idea may work for people in your flat?...but I think people who would warm up to the idea, would be the same people who like cooking..
    Which halls are you staying in as well?..
    Oh and, i'm not sure you'd have enough time to do all this...:P
    students serving students..great idea though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm scrounging loads of stuff off friends and family for the kitchen. I figure, it's probably all going to get broken, so I don't want to spend loads on kitchen stuff. So far, I have had 10 mugs (excessive I know), some glasses, tea towels, sandwich toaster, plates, bowls, baking sheets, and knife block donated to me. I think my boyfriends mum is also going to sort out some cutlery. So that still leaves me with a fair bit to buy, but it's a good start! Now I'm going to add wok to my shopping list, that's a great idea!

ReputationRep:
    my mum just came home with; a toaster, a kettle, an iron and an 11 piece baking tray set
    so i'm all sorted -a can opener

ReputationRep:

Erm, what halls are you in

I am pretty much the most lazy person in terms of cooking when it comes to uni.... so if that 'service' was available to me when I was in halls, i would've gladly paid for it. So long as the person was a decent cook, that is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.