Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Embarrsing parents - wasting medics time in the department I work in helpppp Watch

ReputationRep:
    AHHHHH how can parents be so embarrassing we have been home for all of 2days and already my mam has managed to embarrass me. I used to volunteer in the local hospital and know the A&E staff very well. My mam has just decided to show up there with a small abscess on her eye and I mean no bigger than the small spots we all get as teenagers. She went to see the GP before we went away and was told to take the antibiotics and allow it to burst itself as it so small so doing it this way will leave her with no scar / a much little scar than if they burst it. But no it hurts so she has to go kick up a fuss embarrassing me in front of people I start working with next week and the doctor who sits on admissions bored for my 1st choice uni.
    I really don’t want to show my face next week now anyone got any suggestion on how to handle this when I do walk in the staff already know she my mother.
    Help please to all the nonmedic she will be seen as a total time waster as even the GP said at the time hes unsure if its just a normal black head turned into a spot and defiantly doesn’t require A&E.

ReputationRep:
    You're embarassed because your mother needs medical attention? :curious:
    God forbid she ever has to see the doctor again so you can stop being embarassed and thinking it's all about you!

:rolleyes:

Come on honey, she's not targeting you. Build a bridge.

ReputationRep:
    They have seen plenty of timewasters before, so I'm sure they'll forget about it. Also, she is your mum - give her a break!
    I'm sure you've embarrased her on plenty of occasions.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound so bad! I say you just get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Say to them "sorry about my mum, she gets really worried about her health"

Anyone who would hold that against you is a giant arse, tbf.

ReputationRep:
    You're annoyed because your mum was WORRIED ABOUT HER EYE? Grow up.

"for my 1st choice uni." - Hold on. You're not at uni and you're a PS helper?

ReputationRep:
    Just when you go in, say jokingly(so the don't think your mean!) , ahhh my mum is such a wimp! then they will know that you don't think she needed to make such a big deal of it!

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded a bit mean about your mum!

ReputationRep:
    Don't go with her to A&E then no one will know she is your mother at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayla Phoenix)
    You're embarassed because your mother needs medical attention?
    God forbid she ever has to see the doctor again so you can stop being embarassed and thinking it's all about you!
    IF she needed medical attention i would go with her, but she just come back and its a bloody spot as she was told weeks ago. It time wasting which when you a member of staff is rather embarrising and out right wrong

I may sound selfish but how way turning up to A&E as you have a spot

(Original post by ToastyCoke)
    At uni for 1st degree looking to do med as graduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    IF she needed medical attention i would go with her, but she just come back and its a bloody spot as she was told weeks ago.

I may sound selfish but how way turning up to A&E as you have a spot

At uni for 1st degree looking to do med as graduate
    It was on her EYE. I would be worried if I had ANYTHING on my eye. GP's can be wrong you know.

ReputationRep:
    It was on her EYE. I would be worried if I had ANYTHING on my eye. GP's can be wrong you know.
    Sorry just reread my 1st post its on her eye lid. Maybe i have a different attitude to most but id be embarrised/wouldnt even think about going to a GP with something so small never mind A&E on a Saturday night.

She a serial drama queen/time waster and as i now work in the NHS it getting rather embarrising.

ReputationRep:
    Why were you there in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Sorry just reread my 1st post its on her eye lid. Maybe i have a different attitude to most but id be embarrised/wouldnt even think about going to a GP with something so small never mind A&E on a Saturday night.

She a serial drama queen/time waster and as i now work in the NHS it getting rather embarrising.

Oh, eye lid. That's nothing then.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, eye lid. That's nothing then.
    Exactly that was her 5th A&E vist in the last year and each time she been told to go to her GP in a few days/weeks if it hasnt cleared up. She tried to cart me off the other month as I scraped my knee

ReputationRep:
    Your mum is your mum, and you are you. They know that, I'm sure Doubt anyone would look at you differently just because of your mum

ReputationRep:
    You're annoyed because your mum was WORRIED ABOUT HER EYE? Grow up.

Read OPs sig. They're already at uni, they're applying for grad entry med.

ReputationRep:
    Thats like saying it was pointless me getting a testicular cancer check when it turned out there was no issue, so really, pipe down, thats the exact reason doctors are there for, just because your not dying doesn't mean you don't have the right to see a doctor, regardless of the problem.

And eyes! of all the thigns people value, eye sight is precious, so id be worried if there was any type of growth, baring in mind, ive never had an abcess on my eye, but lets be honest, an abcess anywhere on the body can be worth checking.

ReputationRep:
    sorry guys if i sound in sensistive im not its the fact that she has already seen a doctor and been told its nothing to worry about but then decides to turn up at A&E after it hasnt changed in weeks on a busy Saturday night. Fair enough make another GP appointment on Monday.

Its the A&E time wasting which has got my back up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.