Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STUDENT FINANCE - common problem [read if you're worried] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone has got wind of this yet, so I'm hoping to put a good few minds at rest (sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere).

If you've received an Assessment Summary from Student Finance, it MAY NOT YET state any grants/means tested financial help.

I have this problem too, and so does everyone who applied for means tested help. Example.

Student Finance have got the non-means tested bit out of the way first, and now they are working on the means tested parts for EVERYONE.

You will get another new assessment summary around the end of the month, with the grant etc. included.

If you still haven't heard anything about it by the start of next month, then I recommend that you phone them - again don't worry, you haven't messed it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    Not everyone has got wind of this yet, so I'm hoping to put a good few minds at rest (sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere).

If you've received an Assessment Summary from Student Finance, it MAY NOT YET state any grants/means tested financial help.

I have this problem too, and so does everyone who applied for means tested help. Example.

What Student Finance has done is, they have got the non-means tested bit for EVERYONE out of the way first, and now they are working on the means tested parts.

You will get another new assessment summary around the end of the month, with the grant etc. included.

Don't worry =] And if you still haven't heard anything about it by the start of next month, then phone them - again don't worry, you haven't messed it up
    I had this problem....but I'm non-means tested :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I received an assesment notification on Thursday and then another one on Friday (with different figures) is this what it is?

I'm getting less on the second letter.

ReputationRep:
    anyone phoned them up?
    i want to phone them up, are they helpful? or will they just give standard advice they give everyone rather than check up on the application on their system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angeo)
    anyone phoned them up?
    i want to phone them up, are they helpful? or will they just give standard advice they give everyone rather than check up on the application on their system?
    They are helpful, you need to explain exactly what you applied for and exactly why there is a problem. They'll be alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angeo)
    anyone phoned them up?
    You can phone them up but they're rubbish, the dont seem to know what they're going on about.
    I've phoned them about 5 times and I'm still no further with receiving money and I was doing non-means tested so I didnt have to send evidence on behalf of my parents or whatever!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    I had this problem....but I'm non-means tested
    if you're non means-tested you should just have an Assessment Summary with your Tuition Fee Loan and your Maintenance Loan.

N'est-ce pas?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    Oh, I received an assesment notification on Thursday and then another one on Friday (with different figures) is this what it is?

I'm getting less on the second letter.
    The letter with the latest date on it will contain the information that's on their systems.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't even sent me a letter yet. Argggg =[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    They are helpful, you need to explain exactly what you applied for and exactly why there is a problem. They'll be alright
    This is a bit too positive, they arent helpful always in fact SLC and SFE are ridiculous idiots at times - over three years Ive had at least 20 problems with some of these being from them trying to fix earlier problems they had causesed. Being such a wide spread problem theyre likely to give good and helpful responses this time but others they wont even know their own processes. V.hit and miss, I'm lucky to have a great LEA that knows everything forwards and backwards but you still have to deal with the SLC and SFE which is infuriating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    The letter with the latest date on it will contain the information that's on their systems.
    It just seems odd that the amount changed overnight practically, by about £500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    You can phone them up but they're rubbish, the dont seem to know what they're going on about.
    I've phoned them about 5 times and I'm still no further with receiving money and I was doing non-means tested so I didnt have to send evidence on behalf of my parents or whatever!!
    urgh thats not going to be fun then.
    So does means tested mean when you have to send off your passport, and parents p60's?

just checked my application and i sent all teh documents of my passport and p60s and it says they havent recieved them yet. i sent them off 4 weeks ago!!!
    I hate this, it reminds me of the EMA situation last september.

ReputationRep:
    Got my letter in May and it's got everything on, loan and grant.

ReputationRep:
    As said above unfortunately theyre just not the best people at being accurate or keeping things up to date. If I was youd Id phone youre LEA and ask why it changed and if the new amount is correct as the LEA are the ones that assess you.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Bear in mind that Student Finance Direct or whatever they call themselves nowadays are pretty **** at consistency. I suppose they have a very hard job of coordinating all the applications, but whatever it is, they're well known for their unreliability. If you're worried about it, phone 'em up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Bear in mind that Student Finance Direct or whatever they call themselves nowadays are pretty **** at consistency. I suppose they have a very hard job of coordinating all the applications, but whatever it is, they're well known for their unreliability. If you're worried about it, phone 'em up.
    Thanks, and to Jennie1987 as well.

ReputationRep:
    and I still need to send my Identity Confirmation Form off... wow if it turns out that I have to go to uni this year I'm screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    if you're non means-tested you should just have an Assessment Summary with your Tuition Fee Loan and your Maintenance Loan.

N'est-ce pas?

Yeah but they said I didnt ask for it :confused: which means that when I got my assessment form it said:

Tution Fee Loan requested: £0.00
    Maintenance Loan Requested: £0.00

Why would I apply if I didn't want a loan....!?!

ReputationRep:
    Ive received absolutely nothing from Student Finance

They made me send in my Birth Certificate, did that a few weeks back, and still says on the site "Awaiting further evidence"....

ReputationRep:
    this makes me glad i did mine early but im not sure now if its right or if this shud worry me....i did mine in march sent everything off n im the space of 3-4 weeks everything was done and i got a letter showin everything im going 2 get means tested along with grant and that all i needed 2 do was sign 2 confirm which i did fingers crossed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.