Turn on thread page Beta

STUDENT FINANCE - common problem [read if you're worried] watch

ReputationRep:
    OP, you're 5 months behind. I revealed this would be happening in my original "Ask an LEA Assessor" post back in February before the system went live, and also again in the "Confused About Student Finance?" thread.

People just choose to ignore posts. What you've done is just repeat things.

ReputationRep:
    Haha at all these problems.
    They haven't asked me for a birth certificate or passport... but they asked my Mum to send a new p60 because they lost the first one, then sent them both back :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    Yeah but they said I didnt ask for it :confused: which means that when I got my assessment form it said:

Tuition Fee Loan requested: £0.00
    Maintenance Loan Requested: £0.00

Why would I apply if I didn't want a loan....!?!
    It seems something seriously foooked up went on there. What did they say when you phoned them?

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother ringing them today, the systems are down - I've tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    It seems something seriously foooked up went on there. What did they say when you phoned them?
    Well I re-sent the forms but paper ones instead.
    The first time I phoned them they said that they'd just received the new forms that day and that they'd send out a new declaration form for me to sign (so I thought I'd get a new assessment status form as well). I didn't.

So I phoned them again and I got this Indian lady who said that I needed to sign the declaration form, send it back and THEN they'd send me another assessment status form with my alterations (saying I wanted the loan)
    I sent it this week but I'm a bit worried whether now I've signed the declaration form saying I want no loan :confused:

(Original post by Heir-Head)
    Don't bother ringing them today, the systems are down - I've tried.
    They're not open weekends anyway. They're open 8am-8pm Mondays to Fridays

ReputationRep:

They're not open weekends anyway. They're open 8am-8pm Mondays to Fridays
    Student Finance England are open weekends, Saturday and Sunday until 5.30pm, at least that's what Gemma said when she answered my questions and it has the opening times on the website.

ReputationRep:
    Student Finance England are open weekends, Saturday and Sunday until 5.30pm, at least that's what Gemma said when she answered my questions and it has the opening times on the website.
    Thats odd, on my letters from them it says they are only open Monday- Friday.
    Hey another thing they've screwed up on then!

ReputationRep:
    Thats odd, on my letters from them it says they are only open Monday- Friday.
    Hey another thing they've screwed up on then!
    I'm on hold now, I've already listened to Britney Spears- Womanizer and Alesha Dixon - The boy does nothing, yesterday it was Dizee Rascal.

Edit - I've spoken to them and they said they made a mistake (:eek: shocking, not) and they didnt realise my household income exceeded £25,000 even though we put the correct figures on, so I get £700 less than the first letter they sent.

ReputationRep:
    And I've phoned them up on a Saturday too.

ReputationRep:
    i got told at the end of last week they are now up to may/june evidence so phone up in a week or so and hopefully they will have everything.

ReputationRep:
    Well I re-sent the forms but paper ones instead.
    The first time I phoned them they said that they'd just received the new forms that day and that they'd send out a new declaration form for me to sign (so I thought I'd get a new assessment status form as well). I didn't.

So I phoned them again and I got this Indian lady who said that I needed to sign the declaration form, send it back and THEN they'd send me another assessment status form with my alterations (saying I wanted the loan)
    I sent it this week but I'm a bit worried whether now I've signed the declaration form saying I want no loan :confused:

I would sign it anyway, - I think it's just a form to sign to say that you agree to their terms and conditions, irrespective of what help they give you. I've signed two so far as well, but now I am waiting for the proper assessment form. If they still don't send it to you (and to me) we shall have to phone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    I would sign it anyway, - I think it's just a form to sign to say that you agree to their terms and conditions, irrespective of what help they give you. I've signed two so far as well, but now I am waiting for the proper assessment form. If they still don't send it to you (and to me) we shall have to phone...
    I think you'll find it is a contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roubiliac)
    I think you'll find it is a contract.
    Indeed, but what I mean is, is it respective of what you're getting? I.e. would you sign the same one if you were getting more on the assessment summary? I'm thinking yes. I signed the second one when they sent it to me.

ReputationRep:
    Student Finance just sent me two declarations within three days, both stating that I asked for £0 maintenance loan. I think they're just trying to rub it in tbh, but at least I've got the tuition loan! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    anyone who has had their passport and p60's sent back? do they make you sign for it? because i just missed the postman and im not expecting any letters to sign for so could it be student finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    Not everyone has got wind of this yet, so I'm hoping to put a good few minds at rest (sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere).

If you've received an Assessment Summary from Student Finance, it MAY NOT YET state any grants/means tested financial help.

I have this problem too, and so does everyone who applied for means tested help. Example.

Student Finance have got the non-means tested bit out of the way first, and now they are working on the means tested parts for EVERYONE.

You will get another new assessment summary around the end of the month, with the grant etc. included.

If you still haven't heard anything about it by the start of next month, then I recommend that you phone them - again don't worry, you haven't messed it up
    This is correct :yes:

I received my Summary a few weeks ago and there was no sign of my grant :eek: . I rang them up and they basically said everything that is above!

ReputationRep:
    The thing I'm worried about is that on the online application, I put that I didn't want to be income assessed (made a mistake) and so emailed them and they asked me to get my parents to send off forms, which they did.

I'm worried as they will think my application has all been sorted, will they still go through my parents paperwork? Can't afford to live on the normal £3564 as my accomodation on it's own is more than that!

I've tried to ring up to see if they recieved the forms and everything but can't get through. Sent the forms off in the beginning of June.

ReputationRep:
    This makes me incredibly glad that I live in Wales :p:

I sent my application off in may, asking to be means tested because im estranged, then they sent me the declaration saying i wanted to be non means tested. So I rang them up told them off and now im getting the full loan and grant

ReputationRep:
    That's happened to me too. No mentions of Maintenance Grant anywhere at all. It does say that i'm not elligible for Tuition Grant though, I assume this is a different thing? Because i'm definitely elligible for something.

But surely this is a bit late... has anyone heard since their post?

ReputationRep:
    i did mine early but they messed up as usual!
    But if you keep badgering them then you'll get somewhere

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 7, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.