Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it a bit harder to borrow money from my parents so I'm trying to get a summer job until I get EMA in September.
    Has anyone got good experiences of summer jobs (I'm 16)?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably a bit late to apply for jobs just for the summer. Why don't you get a permanent part-time job?

ReputationRep:
    I asked my school, they gave me 4 weeks of work monday to friday doing some basic labour. Keep me busy yay.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping to work somewhere for the summer and then maybe stay on if I liked it. I'm just thinking that places won't hire me because I've not got any experience.

ReputationRep:
    Work experience you wont get paid for and if a company offers it then they book people in every 2 weeks, dont take them on and will have been fully booked for months. The best way to get a job is to look for one a couple of months before you need it and the same goes for work experiences as so many people want these. Middle of July, no experience, only 16, barely any quals - youre unlikely to find anything.

Im in recruitment and its hard times right now. Took me 3 months to find a job myself that started in Feb so not a holiday time when all the students were out and I had experience, could start any time, part time, full time etc.

Send your CV and covering letter to all your local businesses and join all recruitment agencies - for getting a job you need to attack all possible avenues for a chance.

ReputationRep:
    i wanted to get a job last summer, still searching...

ReputationRep:
    I got a Part time job at Tesco about a mnth ago!! Im 17 tho, but had no experience! moneys pretty decent for my ago to, so try supermarkets!! not best jobs ever but it pays and will take you through sixth form, college, uni etc!!

ReputationRep:
    if you play a musical intrument of know a subject well you could tutor?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, I guess its just a case of trying everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    Im 18 got 18 GCSE's ranging from B's to E's but there is nothing i dont know about computers and mobile phones but im struggling...ive given up on getting a job for the summer im looking for a saturday placement now

Try sainsburys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallulah_)
    Thanks all, I guess its just a case of trying everywhere!
    It really is, just get a CV made and hand it out everywhere. If you need somewhere quick I would be more inclined to try local restaurants/hotels and shops.

ReputationRep:
    At 16 you're old enough to work pretty much anywhere.. the only issue is the pay will be poor (you'll probably be on £3.75 an hour) and some won't want to employ you because you have to get regular breaks (every 3.5 hours although that is a plus when you do get into employment).
    I had a paper round delievering the local free paper from 14. It's hard work but unlike the other newspapers you can do it at any time of day so don't have to get up at 5am. It's also better pay than most other jobs plus it's cheaper than a gym! Have a look in the advert section of your free paper and see if they've got vacancies near you.
    After that I worked in my local vets. The pay there was appauling but it was fascinating so well worth doing and it was just for 3 hours on a saturday which was quite nice so if you're interested in animals/want to be a vet then it's worth applying to them.. or any animal shelters nearby (mind you not all of them will offer to pay you).
    I now work in a cafe and they like to employ younger people as it's lower pay plus a lot of them have a very high turnover rate of staff so it's well worth applying even if they don't currently have a vacancy.
    Just apply to whatever interests you. I applied to work in a Virgin Megastore(now called Zavvy) just because I like music and got the job.. sadly they then realised I was only 15 so couldn't employ me.. but the point is it's worth applying. So long as you have the enthusiasm they won't care that you're only 16 or don't have experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    It's probably a bit late to apply for jobs just for the summer. Why don't you get a permanent part-time job?
    or get a permanent job and then just quit at end of summer (but **** asking them for references, etc, in the future)

ReputationRep:
    The swimming pool near me always employs summer receptionists because it gets so busy, you could try something like that but it's very late.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you've deifnitely left it too late for a summer job but, as has already been said, it's probably easier if you look for a permanent part-time job. Try everywhere: cafés, supermarkets, shops.

Alternatively, apply for a full-time job and quit/see if you can go part-time after summer.

ReputationRep:
    I just got a job delivering leaflets door to door for an estate agent. It pays pretty well too

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same age as you, and I got a summer job yesterday. I also work a second job, only on Satudays.

All the jobs I've had have come from family and friend connections, ask your friends if they can see if there are any jobs open where they work - this has definitely worked for me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.