Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For those that like a bit of spice but also a bit of class...yum yum...making this monday night

ReputationRep:
    Mmm I love curry. Exactly what do you put in a thai red curry? Making it from scratch I hope?

Beef goes really well with spice I think, I don't use it enough though! I always end up with chicken in my curries! SHould experiment a bit more!

ReputationRep:
    Aww can you make me some please??? Love it! Actually, if you've got a good recipe for it, can you send it my way please? :p: Just been asked to cook a curry for friends, but don't want to make another thai green curry. Red would be good.

ReputationRep:
    Beef curry is bleh: beef has this tendency, unless you buy the really good stuff, to have alot of stringy and chewy bits in it... chicken is a much better meat for curry (in general.)

That said, good luck, all curry is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Beef curry is bleh: beef has this tendency, unless you buy the really good stuff, to have alot of stringy and chewy bits in it... chicken is a much better meat for curry (in general.)

That said, good luck, all curry is good
    That's why i think beef is good for special occassions, so you can fork out that extra bit for a decent cut. I always do chicken when i'm making loads. Mega hungry now with all this curry talk.

ReputationRep:
    yea you definately need fillet or the one down from that cut, for a student, that can be quite challenging.

The recipe im gonna use on monday to serve 4 is

One serving of beef stock (about 2 cups)
    2 cans of coconut milk
    3/4 of an onion sliced
    2 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
    little bit of ginger, just an incy bit
    2 tbsp fish sauce/paste (not stock) or soy sauce is a decent alternative.
    3 tbsp of red curry paste (obvs)
    handful of spinich
    a few basil leaves perhaps 10
    1-2 red chillies finely chopped depending on how hot you want the curry, I would personally use one, to cater for all
    1 sweet red chilli sliced
    juice of one lime
    1 tbsp of brown sugar
    nut oil or sunflower oil
    last but not least a hearty portion of beef

Add onions into a wok, along with oil, ginger and garlic, fry until golden brown, next add sweet pepper, chilli's and beef and sear on all sides (don't over cook the beef though, cos you will boil the mixture later), add curry paste and fish paste/soy sauce about 30s before beef is done and mix it in with the beef. After about another 30s add coconut milk, beef stock, brown sugar and bring to the boil, then allow to simmer for 15-20 mins. Finally add spinach, basil, and the lime juice and serve

ReputationRep:
    Ah, man ... it sounds nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.