The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 1
man.. if you're 'goin back' to uni don't u kno u meet people everywher anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
but weeorla, dont you think that it would be nice to know people before freshers week? :P

which course are you doing, Mark?
Hi MolecularChrissie how are you doing? Interesting name, are you doing some sort of biological cousre by any chance?

I am studying philosophy lol,
AngelsOfAirwaves
Hi MolecularChrissie how are you doing? Interesting name, are you doing some sort of biological cousre by any chance?

I am studying philosophy lol,

haha, yes I'm doing molecular biology. I couldn't think of a good name and MolecularChrissie at least includes my real name and my interest for biology/chemistry :biggrin:

Are you already living in Dundee or are you moving from somewhere else? I'm from Germany so huge step for me to come to Scotland for 3 years :redface:!
I've seen on your profile that you are 24. That's really cheering me up now because the vast majority seems to be 17/18. I'm 22 by the way :smile:

So what do people do after they studied philosophy? Any plans yet?
Don't worry about meeting new friends, it will happen (though like you I am still wanting to meet people before I go).

However I'm moving out of Dundee. Are there any people near your workplace going to uni?

I'm sure there will be others in your course who are in the same boat, just be talkative during the first classes and I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

x
Hi Laura, thanks for your comment, and your advice, which is totally true, so thanks. As for work, there isn't, its quite a non student job so theres no current or prospective students there at all actually. That probably doesnt help lol
AngelsOfAirwaves
Hi Laura, thanks for your comment, and your advice, which is totally true, so thanks. As for work, there isn't, its quite a non student job so theres no current or prospective students there at all actually. That probably doesnt help lol

Its ok. It was like that foe me too. I have a part-time job with the council.. so not many students there XD

There will be many societies for you to join too, also might be worth looking at Abertay societies too as the uni's allow you to go to ones in either uni. I was at abertay and we had Dundee Uni lecturers/staff in our karate club. Its good for a bit of variation.
AngelsOfAirwaves
Excellent course choice, that area is hugely interesting, and if I was more science in nature that would be an area I would love to do. I like your logic for your name, nice to meet you Chrissie.

I am currently living here at the moment as of now, which is good to be settled in and working part time too in order to save some cash. Wow, thats great that your moving from another country, will surely be a wonderful experience. Lol, I think 22 onwards is the perfect age to go to uni, you kind of know better what you want to actually do. I made the error the first time right out of school of umping in without really thinking of what i want to do.

I have liked the idea of going further, as in Phd, and maybe teach, but its a long commitment. How about you, any plans what you maybe will do?

yeah I agree with you. it's not easy to decide what to study when you are so young and unexperienced. I went to college first because I wasn't sure if biology would be the right thing for me but now I'm 100% sure that it is :smile: I'm also thinking of doing a Phd because if I go back to Germany a Phd is definitely required for finding a job. The situation on the job market is very very bad for biologists.. there are too many of us! lol

what kind of job are you doing? I'm thinking of finding a job there too but there are so many things that I would like to do besides uni and I don't know if I will have enough time for all :s-smilie:

Originally Posted by Laura_f_1990
There will be many societies for you to join too, also might be worth looking at Abertay societies too as the uni's allow you to go to ones in either uni. I was at abertay and we had Dundee Uni lecturers/staff in our karate club. Its good for a bit of variation.

thank you laura, I didn't know that we can join abertay societies too! I will definitely have a look on them :smile:
MolecularChrissie
yeah I agree with you. it's not easy to decide what to study when you are so young and unexperienced. I went to college first because I wasn't sure if biology would be the right thing for me but now I'm 100% sure that it is :smile: I'm also thinking of doing a Phd because if I go back to Germany a Phd is definitely required for finding a job. The situation on the job market is very very bad for biologists.. there are too many of us! lol

what kind of job are you doing? I'm thinking of finding a job there too but there are so many things that I would like to do besides uni and I don't know if I will have enough time for all :s-smilie:

thank you laura, I didn't know that we can join abertay societies too! I will definitely have a look on them :smile:

No problem, most societies dont mine. I was going to join Dundee Uni's band, but that disbanded before I got the choice. Good Luck!!
MolecularChrissie

That was a wise move figuring out what you wanted to do, tried it out and have experienced that it is actually what you want to do. It measn you will want to put the effort in on those bad days you have a bum out day with the studies.
Good career plan too, I didnt know there were too many bilogists in germany. Is that a Europe thing or just Germany (if you know lol)

I work within the employment tribunals office, which is quite routine but does build up some good work experience. I can imagine, I have heard it can be quite tough for students to get jobs here, but I think it depends on how much you want to find one possibly lol. i can imagine there will be lots you will want to do and expereince, you should try do as much as you can
I think this is only in Germany a big problem and this is also one reason why I wasn't sure about studying biology. It's a long way to a Phd and even then you aren't guaranteed a good job. But it's what I want to do so I have no other choice than trying and see what future brings :biggrin:

When I was in Dundee in July I talked with a student about student jobs and he advised to start looking as soon as possible because everyone will be searching for jobs in September. I will see what I can find when I'm there :smile:

Did you find some people who are on your course? I found only one other girl but after a few messages she stopped answering... :redface: I hope it will be easier to get to know people when uni starts....!
Reply 12
Hi!!

I'm also returning back to study after a few years out once I've decided what I want to do with my professional career. It's not been an easy decision but now I'm really excited about the idea of studying again.

Apart from starting a degree as a mature student I'm from Spain so it wil be a great change.

I like your idea of making new friends and meeting people before going to Uni.

:yes:
Reply 13
I'm going to study Interactive Media Design. It's a very interesting degree that combines technology and art.
Laura_f_1990
No problem, most societies dont mine. I was going to join Dundee Uni's band, but that disbanded before I got the choice. Good Luck!!

Hmm? Which band? Coz I know that Band Society is active as is the Uni's Big Band! I wasn't aware that there was another band!
lolimemma
Hmm? Which band? Coz I know that Band Society is active as is the Uni's Big Band! I wasn't aware that there was another band!

The Uni's big band.. It was the same conductors who do Dundee Schools' and since not many turned up they stopped doing it for a while, apparently.
Laura_f_1990
The Uni's big band.. It was the same conductors who do Dundee Schools' and since not many turned up they stopped doing it for a while, apparently.

That's bs! I'm friends with the person who was president this year and they've been rehearsing and playing gigs all year :s-smilie: Whoever told you that was lying lol.

Edit: do you mean abertay's?
lolimemma
That's bs! I'm friends with the person who was president this year and they've been rehearsing and playing gigs all year :s-smilie: Whoever told you that was lying lol.

Edit: do you mean abertay's?

Damn! I really wanted to play there too and someone I knew who "played" there told me this!

Nope not abertay, they don't have a big band, only a ceilidh band that I played in for a while :frown:
Laura_f_1990
Damn! I really wanted to play there too and someone I knew who "played" there told me this!

Nope not abertay, they don't have a big band, only a ceilidh band that I played in for a while :frown:

Sucks. Who told you this? Maybe I know them! Go to the Dundee Freshers Fayre though. They always have a stand there :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending