Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help with bum and thighs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    You shouldn't use ankle weights for running. It messes up how you run and puts more strain on your joints. If you want to add resistance whilst running, wear a weighted vest or run uphill.

Ankle weights for squats would be pointless, as you don't lift your feet off the ground. If you want to add resistance to squats, use either a dumbbell or barbell.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

http://www.davedraper.com/site%20ima...blet-squat.jpg
    light weights..the idea is that it puts more strain on your muscles. You dont need much to do that. maybe if you attach like 1kg things to your legs... just like in boxing when they train with heavier gloves. makes normal gloves feel lighter

ReputationRep:
    If you want smaller thighs, stop doing squats and packing more muscle on them?? Is that not obvious or have i misread your post?

ReputationRep:
    have you considered the late great gastric band

highly recommended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    If you want smaller thighs, stop doing squats and packing more muscle on them?? Is that not obvious or have i misread your post?
    wait...squats add more bulk?...even for women?..i just thought it helped you tone up... ..well i'm... misinformed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennloves...)
    wait...squats add more bulk?...even for women?..i just thought it helped you tone up... ..well i'm... misinformed...
    low weight high rep wont add bulk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    low weight high rep wont add bulk

ah...! right..thanks..:p:

ReputationRep:
    How much weight are you squatting at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    How much weight are you squatting at the moment?

wait ...just to be clear...what sort of squatting are you guys talking about?..the ones with the super heavy barbells, powerlifting sort....or the basic squats with dumbells ..(which is what i do)...

ReputationRep:
    They've had 10kg barbells at all the gyms i've been to, should be manageable

ReputationRep:
    Here, try this website - just follow the links and it shows you how to do a varitey of exercises to work specific body parts
    Hope it helps =)

http://exercise.about.com/od/butthip...ips_Thighs.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meep-Em)
    Here, try this website - just follow the links and it shows you how to do a varitey of exercises to work specific body parts
    Hope it helps =)

http://exercise.about.com/od/butthip...ips_Thighs.htm

thanks..=)...

ReputationRep:
    squats are squats..! Lunges are good for what you want to do also. you use dumbbells for squats and lunges but a barbell for squats to.

ReputationRep:
    wait ...just to be clear...what sort of squatting are you guys talking about?..the ones with the super heavy barbells, powerlifting sort....or the basic squats with dumbells ..(which is what i do)...
    I suppose either, they both really accomplish the same thing, which is primarily strengthening your leg muscles (and some others). With your dumbells i'd reccommend you don't use more than 20kg for each dumbell, either you will put muscle on your legs. Try using 10kg on each dumbell and doing a large amount of squats (if you aren't already) which should limit the amount of muscle you're putting on.

To be honest though, you sound like you don't need to use any weights on your legs anyway. If you're dancing, cycling and going on cross trainers that should be enough to give you a toned set of legs, (but not too muscly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    I suppose either, they both really accomplish the same thing, which is primarily strengthening your leg muscles (and some others). With your dumbells i'd reccommend you don't use more than 20kg for each dumbell, either you will put muscle on your legs. Try using 10kg on each dumbell and doing a large amount of squats (if you aren't already) which should limit the amount of muscle you're putting on.

To be honest though, you sound like you don't need to use any weights on your legs anyway. If you're dancing, cycling and going on cross trainers that should be enough to give you a toned set of legs, (but not too muscly).

okay..! thanks..=)..i'll just increase my reps then i usually do squats with 7.5 kgs dumbbells( yes ..light...i know..:p: ).....as you say...all the cardio i do is good for the lower body anyways so i'll just stick with that ....but thanks for all the help..

ReputationRep:
    The full barbell back squat.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...FullSquat.html

Regardless of weight, that motion

ReputationRep:
    It'd be helpful to visit another forum too as all anyone is going to tell you here is to Squat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiveItToMeBaby)
    It'd be helpful to visit another forum too as all anyone is going to tell you here is to Squat.
    May by helpful to visit other forums but obviously not just squating has been said! besides it is one of the best exercises for shaping the ass so it should be included in the routine. It also works cardio and respitory capacity

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I mixed this thread up with another one. Yes, for bum and thighs, squat is king.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.