Turn on thread page Beta

Why does your first year at University not count? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why does your first year at University not count toward your final degree? I don't understand this but I've heard people saying it a lot. Can anybody explain that to me?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    so they can rob you for more money is my guess.

ReputationRep:
    Your grades don't count towards your final degree, so you can spend the year getting used to university study.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can only speak for UCL, but they say that the first year is purely to get all students up to the same level academically. Considering that UCL takes students from allover the world, that makes a lot of sense.

ReputationRep:
    You've still got to pass your first year to get onto your second year though, even if it dosnt count towards your final grade

ReputationRep:
    The 1st year is mainly getting everyone up to the same level and allows you to settle into the way of uni study. You do have to pass the year but for us the pass mark was 40%

ReputationRep:
    so you can
    p a r t y
    like its your birthday
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's all about bringing people up to the same level and getting you used to university and the way you're supposed to study. You obviously need to pass your first year, and it is important to do well if you want to do internships or so on.

ReputationRep:
    So they can set up a lot of SU events aimed at the first years to bleed them dry of all their money.

ReputationRep:
    The whole idea of the 1st year of uni is just to get you used to the new learning style, new daily routine etc.

ReputationRep:
    First year counts 5% for my course. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    My first year counted. 2/11ths.

ReputationRep:
    Counts for 11% on mine. I'm pretty glad, I'd rather the easy stuff at least counts for something.

ReputationRep:
    To get you ready for the next two years and up to the same level rather than you diving straight in and not knowing what to do :dontknow:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.