Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of smoking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Like many things, I never bothered to develop any real opinion on smoking. I just saw it as something some people do and it didn't hurt me, so why should I care? However, I have begun to notice, particularly when a friend of mine began smoking, that there is quite a strong prejudice towards it. People can be quite nasty, really.

So, what do you lot think?

ReputationRep:
    One word: disgusting

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a disgusting habit that is harmful to those around you who you smoke around.

I would never try stop someone smoking, I would just ask them if they wouldn't smoke around me.

ReputationRep:
    It smells bad and I view smokers as mostly rude and people who litter...

ReputationRep:
    I don't how it's appealing in any way but then again, I don't smoke. It doesn't bother me when other people do it.

ReputationRep:
    There must be something good about smoking or people wouldn't do it... like stress-relief. it's quite tempting really.

i couldnt really care less. the fact someone smokes isnt going to make me think any less of them

ReputationRep:
    Revolting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm massively against smoking, and I'll admit I do consider smokers to be weak people.
    I'm not in contact with my family, but just found out my brother's started smoking. I'm obviously quite annoyed and upset by it - but I can't stop him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetTea)
    Like many things, I never bothered to develop any real opinion on smoking. I just saw it as something some people do and it didn't hurt me, so why should I care? However, I have begun to notice, particularly when a friend of mine began smoking, that there is quite a strong prejudice towards it. People can be quite nasty, really.

So, what do you lot think?
    Trust me, prejudice doesn't even begin to describe it. Obviously I think it's a perfectly fine past-time so long as you aren't obnoxious about it, i.e. peer pressuring people to start, getting annoyed if you cant smoke in people's houses/cars etc.

There are some people who just absolutely hate smoking and are almost hypocritical in their hatred of it.

I think everyone should at least try a drag though.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it personally.

The worst thing is when you go into a nightclub in a country where smoking in public places is legal and leave with burn marks up your arm from where ***** have been smoking while dancing. As if the second hand smoke wasn't enough already...

ReputationRep:
    i can see why some people do it, but i choose not to. i dont think any less of those who smoke, but do think less of those who try and force their views on others and use it as an opportunity to get on their high horse. also clubs smelled better before the smoking ban.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very impressionable and presently I find the idea quite attractive. I think it'd be well cool to smoke a pipe. A wooden one I'd hold in my hand whilst wearing tweed and courdroy. I like the idea of sitting in a smoke filled room, dense clouds of billowing grey swirling around you. I tend to romantisise such things. In reality you're pulling on a little grey stick which smells vile and doesn't look at all good. But sometimes I find the whole poorness of it and roughness of it quite charming, and I also want to be Bernard Black. And how fabulous does Audrey Hepburn look? Smoking I'd look cool and aloof and mysterious, and perhaps it'd alleivate some of the **** I'm going through. (Though I've tried it several times and found it did completely nothing for me). Well, as I said, I'm very impressionable. However I'm too skint (or my arms are too short and pockets too deep) to actually seriously consider it. This is all wishful fancy.

Err, that was all about me, sorry. Of other people, in my youth I tended to hang around the smoker's table or whatever hoping the coolness would rub off (it didn't) and often because they had pretty good crack. I think it's dispicable to smoke around children, especially one's own, or when pregnant, but generally meh, whatever. It's their life.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide with style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    i couldnt really care less. the fact someone smokes isnt going to make me think any less of them
    Until you start inhaling their smoke :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    I'm very impressionable and presently I find the idea quite attractive. I think it'd be well cool to smoke a pipe. A wooden one I'd hold in my hand whilst wearing tweed and courdroy. I like the idea of sitting in a smoke filled room, dense clouds of billowing grey swirling around you. I tend to romantisise such things.
    I used to smoke a pipe and I quite enjoyed it. Tbh it depends what you think of tobacco -- I am able to enjoy the different varieties and critique them, like alcohol or chocolate... other people, no.

(Original post by Hathlan)
    In reality you're pulling on a little grey stick which smells vile and doesn't look at all good. But sometimes I find the whole poorness of it and roughness of it quite charming, and I also want to be Bernard Black. And how fabulous does Audrey Hepburn look? Smoking I'd look cool and aloof and mysterious, and perhaps it'd alleivate some of the **** I'm going through. (Though I've tried it several times and found it did completely nothing for me). Well, as I said, I'm very impressionable. However I'm too skint (or my arms are too short and pockets too deep) to actually seriosuly consider it. This is all wishful fancy.
    Sometimes you can look cool and sometimes you can look like a desperate addict, frankly. It does have its moments though!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I think it's disgusting, and that people who smoke around others are inconsiderate.

I was in the park a couple of weeks ago with the kids, and we sat down on a bench. I'm heavily pregnant and it's a big effort to walk for a long while before I have to sit down. Hadn't been on the bench longer than a minute when some old woman smoking like a chimney came and sat down next to me and started blowing her smoke all over my son in his pushchair, and on me (and I'm very obviously pregnant). My daughter only escaped the smoke because she was running up the hill behind me.

If she hadn't been an old person I'd have given her a piece of my mind but as it was I held my tongue and just got up and painfully waddled to the next bench. I figured that telling an old person to go and walk all the way to the next bench was maybe pushing it if she can't walk far, but ffs I can't walk far either at the moment :mad:

I should have pushed her in the lake really and seen how she fared :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I really dont care - like the OP says, its just something that some people do, can't say it really bothers me. Can't say I would be over the moon if I lived with a smoker who smoked indoors (stale smoke does tend to cling to fabrics and smell a bit gross) but otherwise I dont care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I think it's disgusting, and that people who smoke around others are inconsiderate.
    Especially at Bus Stops :mad:

And in the queues at theme parks! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Dont mind smoking, but dont like the after-taste. Mind you, a guy im working with rolls his own and the second hand smoke is soo nice that I often want one of his.

Each to their own, its not big, its not clever, but its enjoyable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.