Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    What a ridiculous opinion to hold... why would you think that?
    Because I believe that all smokers start by caving in to peer pressure, or because they can't handle specific events in their life and resort to smoking in an attempt to reduce stress.
    Then, people are too weak to quit - and once again their general defense is that 'it reduces stress, so I like it', which is a fallacy in itself.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's any of my business whether other people smoke. I can't understand all the hate for smokers. A lot of people seem to have a knee-jerk reaction to anything to do with smoking, which I guess is because of the media/parents/school's attitude to it. According to my sister, if you smoke one cigarette you will get addicted and die, and there's no way anyone could possibly enjoy cigarettes unless they are addicted. Therefore, anyone who has smoked even once is stupid. I hope she grows out of these self-righteous views.

I think it's a bad idea to get addicted to cigarettes. It's a bad idea to get dependent on anything, especially something expensive and unhealthy. But I've seen as many knee-jerk reactions to social/occasional smoking as to cigarette addiction. Tbh it just makes me think the person can't think for themselves, and will agree with anything the media or their school tell them, especially if they have absolutely no experience of smoking (that's what I think of my sister, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    I try to not be around people who are smoking, and if I am, I try not to inhale the smoke.
    I've got a mild allergy to it :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I think it's disgusting, and that people who smoke around others are inconsiderate.

I was in the park a couple of weeks ago with the kids, and we sat down on a bench. I'm heavily pregnant and it's a big effort to walk for a long while before I have to sit down. Hadn't been on the bench longer than a minute when some old woman smoking like a chimney came and sat down next to me and started blowing her smoke all over my son in his pushchair, and on me (and I'm very obviously pregnant). My daughter only escaped the smoke because she was running up the hill behind me.

If she hadn't been an old person I'd have given her a piece of my mind but as it was I held my tongue and just got up and painfully waddled to the next bench. I figured that telling an old person to go and walk all the way to the next bench was maybe pushing it if she can't walk far, but ffs I can't walk far either at the moment :mad:

I should have pushed her in the lake really and seen how she fared :mad:

wow, imo you have the patience of a saint! In your shoes i would have flipped and told the old lady exactly where she could put her cigarette!

Personally if people want to smoke then let them, but at least have the decency to not puff away all over the non smokers. I have friends who smoke and they never light up when we're in a group, they always go away from us and have a quick puff then rejoin the group when they're done. Its not exactly difficult to find a relatively open, non populated spot to have a cigarette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Because I believe that all smokers start by caving in to peer pressure, or because they can't handle specific events in their life and resort to smoking in an attempt to reduce stress.
    Then, people are too weak to quit - and once again their general defense is that 'it reduces stress, so I like it', which is a fallacy in itself.
    Well, guess I must be an exception then as:

1) I didn't start smoking due to peer pressure... only one of my close friends actually even smokes.
    2) I didn't start smoking to reduce stress or handle a specific event in my life.
    3) I could quit any time I wanted to - I go through periods where I don't smoke for weeks because I don't feel like it and random days where i'll smoke 5 or 10 in a day.

The only reason I smoke is because I enjoy it, the same reason I drink. Do you also think people who drink are weak people?

ReputationRep:
    I'd don't mind people that smoke as long as they don't smoke around me because the smell makes me want to vomit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    If it's against the law then they shouldn't be there in the first place, it's a perfectly good reason.
    I'm talking about your attitude, not whether they should be there.

Well just because I'm against people smoking in public places I can't think for myself? :rolleyes:
    No, because you think that a law is just simply because it's a law. It's ok. Very few people can think for themselves. You're in a majority.

I didn't ask you to agree with me...
    Well I didn't agree with you, so that's moot, really.

ReputationRep:
    Well, guess I must be an exception then as:

1) I didn't start smoking due to peer pressure... only one of my close friends actually even smokes.
    2) I didn't start smoking to reduce stress or handle a specific event in my life.
    3) I could quit any time I wanted to - I go through periods where I don't smoke for weeks because I don't feel like it and random days where i'll smoke 5 or 10 in a day.

The only reason I smoke is because I enjoy it, the same reason I drink. Do you also think people who drink are weak people?
    I think people who rely on drink are weak, yes. Even if that means that they can avoid drink for a few weeks before having 10 pints. :p:

ReputationRep:
    nasty. A huge turn off.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt nice to have smoke blown in your direction if you are a non smoker...hence why I do not smoke around those that do not do it. Nor do I litter, when I have finished a fag I always put it out on a bin and throw it in. Smoking is a disgusting habit I agree, but its my only vice, I dont go out, dont drink, so I have to have something. I will not smoke in parks where there are children, I dont think they ( nor anyone else) should be breathing in my second hand smoke. At home I always go outside for a smoke, I dont want my house stinking like a dirty ashtray.

ReputationRep:
    I think people who rely on drink are weak, yes. Even if that means that they can avoid drink for a few weeks before having 10 pints. :p:
    I am neither dependent on cigarettes or alcohol but enjoy both. End of story. If you honestly think all smokers and drinkers are weak people then I pity you.

ReputationRep:
    I am neither dependent on cigarettes or alcohol but enjoy both. End of story. If you honestly think all smokers and drinkers are weak people then I pity you.
    That's nice for you. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I smoke and I have had nasty comments from random people in the street and I hate, hate, HATE when people I don't even know try and give me a lecture.
    I'm a smoker, not retarded so yes thank you, I am aware of the dangers.
    I always put the butt in the bin and I ask people if they mind me smoking around them before I do and if they don't, it's not a problem I can walk off for 5 minutes. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    That's nice for you. :yes:
    My patronization senses are tingling... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    While it might be true that people are too weak to quit, your first statement is untrue. Falsifiably, untrue, since you've said "all smokers start by event a or event b." That's not true. Many of my friends are smokers and sure some of them are for that reason, but there are other reasons, curiousity included.

It's also true that people like to smoke. I know people who aren't addicted (because their consumption doesn't rise above a certain amount) but do it anyway because, well, I guess they like it.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a marvellous cigarette in the sun on my balcony. I'm also passionate about acquiring the perfect crystal ashtray. Got a few lying around, but the search continues. If non-smokers were so fecking passionate about their dislike for it, why aren't the pubs full of them, rejoicing the fact that no one can light up inside? The turbulent pub life has died out here, as everyone goes in to fetch a drink and goes right out to..you guessed it, sit outside with their friends that are smokers. The party moved outside and no one wants to sit alone inside. And second hand smoke? Don't get me started.

ReputationRep:
    My patronization senses are tingling... :rolleyes:
    I'm not trying to patronise. Just don't see why you're so bothered by my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think there is anything wrong with it as long as you dont try to pass the habit on. occasionally the best thing in the morning is a coffee and a smoke outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    stupid and revolting why pay to shorten your life?
    Do you drink? The same thing could be said for both...

ReputationRep:
    Tastes delicious...Especially the first cigarette of the day

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.