Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of smoking? watch

ReputationRep:
    I smoke, but if I'm at a non-smoker's house, I'll ask before I go outside (and cos I don't want to be rude and just walk out) I HATE people who smoke near kids (I mean, the parents and that have a choice, the kids don't) so I don't and won't smoke around children. I smoke outside not inside anyway, and I always put my butts in the bin after making sure they are out. And I will give up smoking, just I have been informed that for me it's safer to smoke and keep my stress levels down. So yeah, it is a crutch, but I admit that. (And I do enjoy the odd cigarillo, either vanilla or cherry flavoured)

ReputationRep:
    I smoke a little bit, but I'd say I'm quite considerate about it ha.
    I always ask people around me if it's OK if I smoke, or if I don't know them then I just won't smoke near them. It is a disgusting habit, I admit that. I'm another one of those god awful "social smokers". But at least I'm not addicted lol.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely hate it. Both my parents smoked when I was a kid, but they both gave up within 4/5 years of each other. Now we're a 'non smoking' household, it's horrendous when my sister pops round for a coffee because she's a smoker. She permanently reeks of cigarette smoke, her hands do too, her clothes are permeated by it and when she gets in the car she always has a fag a minute before, so she stinks the car out.

I honestly wish it never existed or was illegal. It's harmful to the smoker and to other people - the only benefit from a cigarette is short term stress relief which you can get in many many other ways that aren't detrimental to your health. Starting smoking in the first place shows a lack of respect for your own health and a lack of mental strength to resist it. How people can't resist pulling on their first cigarette is beyond me, quite frankly.

ReputationRep:
    Despise it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I honestly wish it never existed or was illegal. It's harmful to the smoker and to other people - the only benefit from a cigarette is short term stress relief which you can get in many many other ways that aren't detrimental to your health. Starting smoking in the first place shows a lack of respect for your own health and a lack of mental strength to resist it. How people can't resist pulling on their first cigarette is beyond me, quite frankly.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    i dont smoke and it doesnt bother me at all - if its something people can enjoy and have respect for those who dont then thats fine, no problem

also, "add life to your time, not time to your life" - if people find it desireable, why not let them?

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting, pointless, expensive, dangerous

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate it but some guys look so hot smoking :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I love smoking, it's just so wonderful.

If you don't smoke you wouldn't know - you just wouldn't

many people say things like oh i'll never smoke/ it's disgusting - but then when you start smoking you'll know why we do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    That's nice for you. :yes:
    Thanks for the rep

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is a waste of money and waste of health. I personally find it nasty, if people want to smoke then do it in your own home where your used cigarettes won't litter the public floor and your second hand smoke won't breeze into other people's faces.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's vile, but if people want to do it that's their business....

Though they shouldn't be allowed to do it where there's other people though, it's not fair that people should have to breathe second hand smoke in a bus stop or walking into a public building

ReputationRep:
    Yuck.
    My entire family smokes - they have done their entire life. I can't name a single family member who doesn't currently smoke. What's worse is that they aren't really bothered about smoking in my face and practically blowing it into my mouth, so my lungs are probably thick with tar by now

ReputationRep:
    I think it is up to the person whether they want to smoke or not.
    Personally I don't smoke because I don't wan the potential side affects.

I also think this no smoking in public places is absurd, It should be up to the land owner whether smoking is permitted or not.

ReputationRep:
    Your choice, but I reserve the right to think it's a disgusting and lung destroying habit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Often the individual starts when they don't know better, and as they smoke more they get addicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    that's really not the case. Okay it's better now that it's banned from enclosed spaces, but somebody coming and sitting right next to you on a bench puffing like a chimney....well I would hardly say that's bothering nobody.
    Fair enough with your situation you're pregnant, I can understand why you'd be concerned. But in general, for most people, a small bit of smoke in an open space - smoke that isn't even being blown in your direction - is not a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    So if someone kills a member of your family, you shouldn't say anything to the murderer but just accept it, right?
    Christ, overrreacting much?

ReputationRep:
    I thought alcohol was a lot more dangerous than smoking, and people don't throw up this massive hate over that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if people do it when not around me, as long as I don't smell it on them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.