Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Because I believe that all smokers start by caving in to peer pressure, or because they can't handle specific events in their life and resort to smoking in an attempt to reduce stress.
    Then, people are too weak to quit - and once again their general defense is that 'it reduces stress, so I like it', which is a fallacy in itself.
    Most people who start smoking begin as a young person. Almost all young people are easily influenced. I don't see how this defines them as weak when adults? Some people like smoking and could easily give up but choose instead to carry on because they enjoy it. I don't think being a smoker necessarily makes you 'weak'. Being a smoker does not define your personality. As someone else said, thinking so is rather ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I think people who rely on drink are weak, yes. Even if that means that they can avoid drink for a few weeks before having 10 pints. :p:
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but on this thread you come across as being far too opinionated and judgemental. It's quite childish and tad on the petty side.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to patronise. Just don't see why you're so bothered by my opinion.
    Probably because it's a little extreme...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    I thought alcohol was a lot more dangerous than smoking, and people don't throw up this massive hate over that.
    That's because the majority of the public drink. I do however find it quite horrific that people drink until they have to be taken to hospital to have their stomach's pumped. That is rather stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roquentin)
    Suicide with style
    What's so stylish about it? Surely it's a long, drawn-out suicide which becomes progressively more painful and unpleasant? I'd say the health effects weren't attractive or stylish at all...

And yeah, I think it's disgusting, I live with a parent who smokes and I hate that it affects my health and covers all my stuff in nicotine and tar so I smell of it too, that I see them doing it and can't do anything to stop it. Secondhand smoke is simply inconsiderate and unpleasant.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a brilliant idea, but i've managed to stop myself thus far :proud:

Am tempted more and more each time i'm at a petrol garage though :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Your choice, but I reserve the right to think it's a disgusting and lung destroying habit.
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    :no:
    What?

ReputationRep:
    x
    What?
    They're good for you, Stephen Fry said so :yes:

ReputationRep:
    What?
    I'm sorry, but it appeals to me greatly - it's a wonder i've resisted so far tbh

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but it appeals to me greatly - it's a wonder i've resisted so far tbh
    Your choice mate, I'm not judging.

ReputationRep:
    Smells nasty, don't know about you but, I'd hate the prospect of having tar, the stuff you put on roads in my lungs. I don't mean to bang on about it but it causes the following: mouth cancer, throat cancer and lung cancer, empysema and bronchitis. Plus it is a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you're judging seeing as you think it's a "disgusting and lung destroying habit" - who wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    There are quicker ways of killing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    And cheaper

ReputationRep:
    It's ok, besides, I haven't actually tried it yet - but I do tend to get addicted to things rather easily :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    Smells nasty, don't know about you but, I'd hate the prospect of having tar, the stuff you put on roads in my lungs. I don't mean to bang on about it but it causes the following: mouth cancer, throat cancer and lung cancer, empysema and bronchitis. Plus it is a waste of money.
    True, but in my opinion: smells nice, smokers are interesting people and if you enjoy it is worth the risk - at least it gives you something to do :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I smoke so I like it. But its everyones personal choice. The only person I'm harming is myself.

ReputationRep:
    smoking is generally a bad idea.. but seens to become a better and better idea the more alcohol you consume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    Of course you're judging seeing as you think it's a "disgusting and lung destroying habit" - who wouldn't.
    I don't judge the person. I just dislike when people smoke. If that makes sense?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.