Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetTea)
    Christ, overrreacting much?
    That wasn't my point, I was saying that if it's illegal then you shouldn't do it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I'm not trying to patronise. Just don't see why you're so bothered by my opinion.
    I'm not bothered by your opinion but the point in this thread is surely to debate? Also, at the risk of sounding patronising myself, I'm trying to open your eyes to the fact that choosing to smoke does not make you a weak willed person, in the same way that choosing to do anything you find enjoyable (and albeit detrimental to health) does not necessarily define your strength of will. If anything, judging by the way smokers are thought of by non-smokers on here, it'd take a stronger willed person to continue smoking regardless in the face of such a backlash! So sorry if I'm not prepared to accept somebody slating me (indirectly) for doing something that I do purely for pleasure and as a habit that is of little detriment to others' health (I barely smoke around other smokers... let alone non-smokers).

ReputationRep:
    To be honest...i dont see why people choose to die earlier. the first time you try it it tastes like ass right? so why would you continue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    There are quicker ways of killing yourself.
    why would you want to kill yourself

ReputationRep:
    Its DIRRTYYY!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't really mind if other people do it. Their choice sorta thing.

But- don't think it's clever. It kills you. And strains the NHS.
    I think the ban of smoking in public places was probably one of the best policies the government has introduced.

And- kissing girls that have been smoking is not nice. Tastes bbaaaaddddddd. So no thanks

ReputationRep:
    i like it as it allows me to quickly make judgements on people, i of course do not smoke

(Original post by oh wow)
    There must be something good about smoking or people wouldn't do it... like stress-relief. it's quite tempting really.
    people do it because they think it's cool

edit: i'm talking about tobacco

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnneCampbell)
    To be honest...i dont see why people choose to die earlier. the first time you try it it tastes like ass right? so why would you continue?
    This is the same as saying "why don't you abstain from anything detrimental to your own health?". The answer being: I want to enjoy my life. If you drink, why do you consume alcohol? You too are making some choices that are increasing your chances of dying younger, regardless. It just so happens that one of my choices isn't one of yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowheree)
    some people do it because they think it's cool
    Corrected.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me, some girls can look quite hot with a fag in there hand, if you disregard there insides.

ReputationRep:
    If it were just the smokers it hurt I'd be fine with it, but passive smoking does hurt other people. Also, I hate it when parents smoke in front of their kids and, by example, encourage them to smoke as well.

ReputationRep:
    It's what the cool kids do..... before they grow up and die of lung cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    why would you want to kill yourself
    I'm not saying I want to kill myself
    I'm saying smoking kills people
    and that there are cheaper and quicker ways of achieving death. x

ReputationRep:
    i think it's completley disgusting. a lot of people seem to think that they know all about the possible health implications.. but really.. most people have NO idea. i was in hospital the other week and my friend who was visiting me said she HAD to have a cigarette.. after being there for about half an hour. i didn't know whether to laugh or cry.. lighting up outside a cancer hospital, its pretty pathetic really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind it, for some reason I find a fairly attractive person smoking appealing.

ReputationRep:
    I came back from T in the Park this year hacking my lungs up, and I strongly believe that this was, at least in part, due to the passive smoking incurred over the weekend. I'm convinced that I breathed more smoke than pure air.

It's the right to smoke versus the right to clean air. I strongly subscribe to the right to clean air and I wish that to be respected. Smokers wish to have the right to change the air we breathe for everybody - for very little aside from expensive cheap kicks and self harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexzander)
    Don't really mind if other people do it. Their choice sorta thing.

But- don't think it's clever. It kills you. And strains the NHS.
    I think the ban of smoking in public places was probably one of the best policies the government has introduced.

And- kissing girls that have been smoking is not nice. Tastes bbaaaaddddddd. So no thanks
    I think that some people need to grow up on here.

And the bolded part is a complete lie. Smokers bring in 9 billion pounds through taxes alone. The NHS spends a few million on smokers dying in their hospitals. Smokers help the British economy.

Through some of the chemicals in cigs, smokers are 60% less likely to develop Alzheimer's.

Also in a recent study study, two people had a heart attack, a smoker and non-smoker. The doctor found that the smoker's heart muscle damage healed quicker than the non-smoker. Although that might not have been due to smoking.

In Virgina, Date Rape has went up 24% due to the smoking ban. Thats not really fair, is it?

And BTW people who are *****ing about second hand smoke, you'd need to inhale second hand smoke for 10 hours a day for 2 months to get the same amount of damage as you do for bbqing for half an hour.

sorry for the long post but as I said, some people need to grow the hell up about it. If you smoke, thats fine, if you don't thats fine aswell. But don't sit and ***** about how cigs will kill you and everyone around you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)

It's the right to smoke versus the right to clean air. I strongly subscribe to the right to clean air and I wish that to be respected. Smokers wish to have the right to change the air we breathe for everybody - for very little aside from expensive cheap kicks and self harm.
    Precisely this. If smokers locked themselves in specific smoking rooms and the air was purified afterwards, then fair enough :p: ; but I believe that I have a right to walk down the road without a smoker crossing my path and causing me to inhale chemicals I don't want to inhale.
    I appreciate smokers that (like Annie in this thread) are considerate, and don't stand near smokers or smoke indoors, but not many consider putting out their cigarettes whilst they're walking down the road passing people, or standing in a shop doorway when people need to get in or out.
    I'm a believer in people doing what they want with their life, but I have my opinion, and part of that opinion is that no person should harm another when it can be avoided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Through some of the chemicals in cigs, smokers are 60% less likely to develop Alzheimer's.
    Very good, but I'd take the Alzheimer's over the lung cancer anyday. You cannot disregard the figures that suggest that cancers and other ailments follow smoking wherever it goes. We've known that since the 1970s.

I'd say that you'd need to confine smokers to run proper tests. Because it's a sad fact of like that everybody is exposed to some degree of smoke - I try to avoid it, but it happens. Compare two groups of a million - one smoking, one non-smoking, and compare the results. Simple really?

ReputationRep:
    I find it a disgusting, dirty, antisocial habbit that I hate.

However, if someone knows the risks and still willingly smokes, that's their decision and its not my place to deter them unless they want me to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.