Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    Very good, but I'd take the Alzheimer's over the lung cancer anyday. You cannot disregard the figures that suggest that cancers and other ailments follow smoking wherever it goes. We've known that since the 1970s.

I'd say that you'd need to confine smokers to run proper tests. Because it's a sad fact of like that everybody is exposed to some degree of smoke - I try to avoid it, but it happens. Compare two groups of a million - one smoking, one non-smoking, and compare the results. Simple really?
    The big C is a great worry, not just for smoker's, but for everyone. Why do you think that is? Nearly everything gives us cancer nowadays. Look at coca-cola, hell a chemical in diet coke has been known to cause MS. I'm obvs not saying that smoking doesn't cause it, but saying a ton of things does.

And having Altimeter's is the last thing I want. My granddad died of it and my God it was one of the worst things I can imagine.

And for whoever said about how smokers were weak because it was peer pressure or because they couldn't deal with something in their life or that they can't quit. Look at Obese people. They were introduced to food by peer pressure, some people eat a lot because they're depressed and people sure as hell can't quit eating

Hell look at alcohol, people do it all the time, it hurts them massively and cots them a ********. It's exactly the same as smoking in those terms, why not attack them?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's a sad fact of like that everybody is exposed to some degree of smoke - I try to avoid it, but it happens.
    Whilst I believe that non-smokers are perfectly entitled to "clean" air to breathe, how much harm do you really think passive smoking is doing the average non-smoker? Certainly, it's incomparable to the crap you're breathing in from the exhaust fumes of cars and so on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    I think that some people need to grow up on here.

And the bolded part is a complete lie. Smokers bring in 9 billion pounds through taxes alone. The NHS spends a few million on smokers dying in their hospitals. Smokers help the British economy.
    I think some people need to chill the hell out.

Statistics are fantastic- they support your point very well. However, of course, you will have selected statistics that support your argument, only your side of the argument and not the overall picture. In short- well done, you can use google. As can I so I thought I'd even out the picture a little. Sounds fair.

"About 106,000 people in the UK die each year due to smoking"
    "About half of all smokers die from smoking-related diseases"
    "3,000 nonsmoking adults die of diseases caused by exposure to second hand smoke every year."

I think to say smoking has a posotive impact upon an induviduals health is short sighted in the extreme.

As for the tax: Smokers cost the NHS £5bn a year, employers more than £2bn a year in absence and lost working time, and also tend to take more time off work than their non-smoking counterparts. The tax on cigarettes is high because it causes costs to the NHS and other parts of the economy.

The only part I agree with is the part on free choice. If you smoke fine. I don't care it's your choice.

But whatever. You had your views and you expressed them in a rather interesting way given your last advice

I think that some people need to grow up on here.
    Your words. Not mine

ReputationRep:
    And having Altimeter's is the last thing I want. My granddad died of it and my God it was one of the worst things I can imagine.
    My grandfather died of cancer of the pretty-much-everything before I was born. He was a smoker, but had given up for 30 years prior - this one's a common story I believe.

I love how the popular defence seems to be 'such-and-such does more damage.' If this is the case, then why would I want to add the unnecessary damage caused by cigarettes? Other things give you cancer? Fine, that's a simple one, cigarettes would be a nice start to whittle down the risks.

ReputationRep:
    Sexy.

ReputationRep:

And for whoever said about how smokers were weak because it was peer pressure or because they couldn't deal with something in their life or that they can't quit. Look at Obese people. They were introduced to food by peer pressure, some people eat a lot because they're depressed and people sure as hell can't quit eating

Hell look at alcohol, people do it all the time, it hurts them massively and cots them a ********. It's exactly the same as smoking in those terms, why not attack them?
    That would be me, and I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't be healthy for people to stop eating.
    For the record also, as I've said before, I've as bad an opinion of alcoholics and binge drinkers as I have of smokers, in terms of weakness levels.

ReputationRep:
    I love how the popular defence seems to be 'such-and-such does more damage.'
    yeah, that defence is totally invalid. The fact is that this is a discussion thread about smoking and not alchohol or anything else. Yes, your right they will too do you damage but how does this impact upon the dangers of smoking?

It does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexzander)
    I think some people need to chill the hell out.

Statistics are fantastic- they support your point very well. However, of course, you will have selected statistics that support your argument, only your side of the argument and not the overall picture. In short- well done, you can use google. As can I so I thought I'd even out the picture a little. Sounds fair.

"About 106,000 people in the UK die each year due to smoking"
    "About half of all smokers die from smoking-related diseases"
    "3,000 nonsmoking adults die of diseases caused by exposure to second hand smoke every year."

I think to say smoking has a posotive impact upon an induviduals health is short sighted in the extreme.

As for the tax: Smokers cost the NHS £5bn a year, employers more than £2bn a year in absence and lost working time, and also tend to take more time off work than their non-smoking counterparts. The tax on cigarettes is high because it causes costs to the NHS and other parts of the economy.

The only part I agree with is the part on free choice. If you smoke fine. I don't care it's your choice.

But whatever. You had your views and you expressed them in a rather interesting way given your last advice

Your words. Not mine
    I don't think that overall smoking is good to your health, it clearly doesn't, you're twisting my words, I was suggesting that fact that smoking is not only bad things, which people tell you from a young age.

We still give 4 Billion, the government is making a profit on smokers, your words.

Employers normally ask if you smoke, if they hire you even though they know you'll cut into their time, then they can't exactly ***** about it.

ReputationRep:
    huh 4 billion in tax.

£5bn costs to NHS alone.

How is the government making a profit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexzander)
    huh 4 billion in tax.

£5bn costs to NHS alone.

How is the government making a profit?
    I stated that the government are getting 9 Billion in taxes alone, you said it cost the NHS 5 Billion to watch us smokers die, which makes the government 4 Billion pounds

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that overall smoking is good to your health, it clearly doesn't, you're twisting my words, I was suggesting that fact that smoking is not only bad things, which people tell you from a young age.
    Insurance companies have cottoned on, to pitch up another example relating to statistics. They put a higher price on the smoker than a non-smoker. Why is this? The numbers strongly indicate that the smoker isn't going to last as long as the non-smoker.

Here's another image for you. Smoking literally consumes the brain. We all have nicotine receptors (non-smokers have relatively few). However, when you smoke, you take in nicotine, which 'satisfies' these pathways in the brain. At the same time, the nicotine promotes the creation of more pathways which then use the nicotine in the same way. The basic theory behind an addiction.

ReputationRep:
    indifferent.

ReputationRep:
    Insurance companies have cottoned on, to pitch up another example relating to statistics. They put a higher price on the smoker than a non-smoker. Why is this? The numbers strongly indicate that the smoker isn't going to last as long as the non-smoker.

Here's another image for you. Smoking literally consumes the brain. We all have nicotine receptors (non-smokers have relatively few). However, when you smoke, you take in nicotine, which 'satisfies' these pathways in the brain. At the same time, the nicotine promotes the creation of more pathways which then use the nicotine in the same way. The basic theory behind an addiction.
    I'm not denying the fact that I'll die younger and I'll be the first one to come forward and say that I'm an addict. I've tried to quit but I've realized that if your a smoker who stops (or an alcoholic for that matter) from the point that you stop until the moment you die, you've not lived long enough to restart smoking (or drinking), and life is short anyway, I like the way I live it

ReputationRep:
    I'm not denying the fact that I'll die younger and I'll be the first one to come forward and say that I'm an addict. I've tried to quit but I've realized that if your a smoker who stops (or an alcoholic for that matter) from the point that you stop until the moment you die, you've not lived long enough to restart smoking (or drinking), and life is short anyway, I like the way I live it
    Can I ask you under which circumstances you took the habit up?

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask you under which circumstances you took the habit up?
    Sure, I actually stated it in another thread, which I asked people if a lot of people at Uni smoked.

Basically I was at the Fringe, I was on a grassy hill, fell asleep. When I woke up I found a 20 deck of Richmond lying next to me, with 15 in it. I was curious, smoked one, hated the taste, smoked another and have smoked since then, so no peer pressure or anything like that. Just curious so I knew the risks and I'm fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I was at the Fringe, I was on a grassy hill, fell asleep. When I woke up I found a 20 deck of Richmond lying next to me, with 15 in it. I was curious, smoked one, hated the taste, smoked another and have smoked since then, so no peer pressure or anything like that. Just curious so I knew the risks and I'm fine with it.
    I have a next question and a wee statement. Can I ask you why you were curious to try it out?

And the statement: I'll say that passive smoking is a lot like being in the lift with the guy with the heavy flatulence. Sure, it's his right to fart every five seconds, it's just that I would appreciate the fresh air.

ReputationRep:
    And the statement: I'll say that passive smoking is a lot like being in the lift with the guy with the heavy flatulence. Sure, it's his right to fart every five seconds, it's just that I would appreciate the fresh air.
    haha that was nicely put.

I wish I'd never wrote on this thread. I can't stop following it now.
    it's the sort of thing where the two sides are never going to agree just because both have made a concious decision to either smoke or not and therefore must have reasons for their choice and believe them to outweigh the other side.

And so the circle continues.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a smoker, so obviously I enjoy it. I find that some people vastly overreact to it, a self-righteous non-smoker is more annoying than a smoker.

ReputationRep:
    I think smoking is the main cause for global warming.

ReputationRep:
    I have a next question and a wee statement. Can I ask you why you were curious to try it out?

Heh, basically everyone, told me how terrible it was, I was just wondering.

Plus being a cat I didn't think it'd hurt me :P ko obvs

I mean I wouldn't force anyone to smoke, it's their choice. I'm friends with both smokers and non-smokers, and my non-smoker friends don't have a problem with it. To each their own.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.