Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I'm a smoker, so obviously I enjoy it. I find that some people vastly overreact to it, a self-righteous non-smoker is more annoying than a smoker.
    And the 'blatant' smoker - for example the one that will stand in the supermarket doorway or the one that'll use the bus shelter as a smoking shelter in the rain - definitely outranks the self-righteous non-smoker. But these opinions are coming from both sides of the fence.

EDIT -
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Heh, basically everyone, told me how terrible it was, I was just wondering.
    That's actually a funny kind of peer pressure, no matter how much you try to refute it. Whereas you'd normally try to prove something to your peers, you were actually trying to prove something to yourself, based on what your peers had stated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    That's actually a funny kind of peer pressure, no matter how much you try to refute it. Whereas you'd normally try to prove something to your peers, you were actually trying to prove something to yourself, based on what your peers had stated.
    Hah yeah, its weird and it happens. Oh well, guess that's the way of world nowadays :/

ReputationRep:
    I think smoking is a disgusting habit and I am sad that it is not banned. I guess that makes it even worse that my dad smokes...

ReputationRep:
    Hah yeah, its weird and it happens. Oh well, guess that's the way of world nowadays :/
    Yeah, that it certainly is. I think we've pretty much said most of what there is to say now, so we'll agree to disagree, and call it a draw? If so, good game and good night.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that it certainly is. I think we've pretty much said most of what there is to say now, so we'll agree to disagree, and call it a draw? If so, good game and good night.
    Course

Just waiting for the next debate :P

ReputationRep:
    Course

Just waiting for the next debate :P
    If there's ever anything else that you fancy a shot at, shoot me a PM and we'll get a thread together.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking = pointless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roquentin)
    Suicide with style
    What website did you get that from?

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7654153.stm
    "£2.7bn in 2008"

http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tobacco-tax-revenue.aspx
    "total: 10.0"

Can it you ******* retards, and look at some evidence that wasn't handed to you on a silver platter by the education system, for once.

There is plenty of evidence that smoking in moderation is no more damaging than drinking in moderation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowheree)
    people do it because they think it's cool

edit: i'm talking about tobacco
    No, definitely not always. i look retarded when i smoke- i have been told a lot. but it does calm me down. love your sig. by the way.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... ciggerettes

i need a smoking break XD
    who wants to join me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    There is plenty of evidence that smoking in moderation is no more damaging than drinking in moderation.
    But I'll direct you to the idea that smoking is only very infrequently 'in moderation.' But again, we're all going down the defence line of 'this-that-and-'tother are more dangerous' and 'this one is equal surely'. It must be said that alcohol will not do you much favours either - this time the liver goes, not the lungs.

Alcohol itself has very little effect on anybody other than the drinker, however tobacco and the rest, that are puffed out by millions around the world, quite easily affect those that are not actively taking those chemicals.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol itself has very little effect on anybody other than the drinker, however tobacco and the rest, that are puffed out by millions around the world, quite easily affect those that are not actively taking those chemicals.
    To say drink has very little effect on anyone apart from the drinker is absolutely ridiculous. Tell that to any hospital worker that does shifts in A&E on a weekend. Alcohol fuels all the drunken brawls and random assaults on innocent people who happen to be in the wrong place in the wrong time. Not to mention the people whos lives are suddenly ended because some idiot three times over the limit thought he would be okay to drive.

Alcohol has a much greater effect on others yet people seem completely oblivious to it. So quick to jump on smoking as the evil demon because the media overexaggerates the risks of passive smoking.

ReputationRep:
    It creeps me out when I'm in an area where nobody smokes.

Personally, I enjoy smoking, a lot. I like getting out all the separate parts and rolling them into a little white tube. I like lighting it, I like the first drag, the last drag and everything in between. Plus if I'm on the verge of an anxiety attack the ritual of rolling a cigeratte really calms me down. I try to keep my smoking to four or five rollies a day- anymore and I'm obliged to have non-smoking days. I smoke like a chimney when I'm drunk. Luckily having to roll every time keeps the number down pretty effectively.

That said, straights are now an alien world to me. They don't satisfy me, they taste horrible and they make my lungs hurt. Rollies all the way~

As for health, well, I won't be smoking forever. If I ever stopped enjoying smoking and started doing it purely because I was addicted, I'd stop. That's not a road I want to go down. I realise smoking even for these few years might have a negative impact on my health- but life's short, you know? Smoking, for now, enhances my life. So I'll keep doing it- for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    To say drink has very little effect on anyone apart from the drinker is absolutely ridiculous. Tell that to any hospital worker that does shifts in A&E on a weekend. Alcohol fuels all the drunken brawls and random assaults on innocent people who happen to be in the wrong place in the wrong time. Not to mention the people whos lives are suddenly ended because some idiot three times over the limit thought he would be okay to drive.
    Mais non, my friend, you missed my wording. I knew you'd come out with this, so I made adjustments for it. 'Alcohol itself' - nowhere on those figures does it mention 'drink driving' or 'alcohol-fuelled violence.'

So stop jumping smoking bandwagon to prove a point.

ReputationRep:
    Mais non, my friend, you missed my wording. I knew you'd come out with this, so I made adjustments for it. 'Alcohol itself' - nowhere on those figures does it mention 'drink driving' or 'alcohol-fuelled violence.'

So stop jumping smoking bandwagon to prove a point.
    I know what you meant. I still don't think you have much of a point. So what if alcohol doesn't present anything like the worry of second hand smoke. You can't ignore the way it makes people act. Far more damaging than a tiny amount of passive smoke.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is nowhere near as addictive as people think. I smoke occasionally, one day in a month when I'm out, and whenever I'm not smoking I don't feel any desire or need to smoke. I'm more addicted to junk food than cigarettes. It's fun when you do it, it gives me a great headrush which, when in a car with the window down, is an amazing feeling. And I don't care about the health implications or the cost, I'm gonna die anyway and it stops me from buying food. It's just something to do when bored.

That said, I can understand why people get annoyed by it, when you don't smoke the smell is revolting. I used to think smoking was disgusting, but I changed my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    I know what you meant. I still don't think you have much of a point. So what if alcohol doesn't present anything like the worry of second hand smoke. You can't ignore the way it makes people act. Far more damaging than a tiny amount of passive smoke.
    Let's head back towards the point I was making before I was sidetracked. Let's say that, hypothetically, I've just successfully run for the office of President of the World. I plan to pass a bill to ban smoking all over the globe. In a Question Time episode on television, we have the smokers and non-smokers. The smokers of course argue that it's their right to smoke, due to a combination of their paying for it and it being their problem to deal with.

The next question is, in that case, why doesn't it apply for the non-smokers? What happens to the right to air that hasn't been tarnished by the smokers standing next to non-smokers in the street? The points raised against the argument of the non-smoking side has been weak at best so far.

It must also be said that we, as a nation, would get healthier if cigarettes were cut out. Not only due we remove the obvious biological implications, but budgets change at that point (assuming that there is no black market set up for tobacco). There are people in this world that exist below the poverty line and yet still uphold the habit. If cigarettes are taken out of their 'diets', more money surely becomes available for food and other commodities.

ReputationRep:
    It must also be said that we, as a nation, would get healthier if cigarettes were cut out. Not only due we remove the obvious biological implications, but budgets change at that point (assuming that there is no black market set up for tobacco). There are people in this world that exist below the poverty line and yet still uphold the habit. If cigarettes are taken out of their 'diets', more money surely becomes available for food and other commodities.
    By the same argument you could ban practically everything.

We would be healthier without alcohol
    We would be healthier without cars and just a public transport system
    We would be healthier without fast food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    By the same argument you could ban practically everything.

We would be healthier without alcohol
    We would be healthier without cars and just a public transport system
    We would be healthier without fast food
    :ditto:

Thanks for saving me the trouble :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.