Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of smoking? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    By the same argument you could ban practically everything.

We would be healthier without alcohol
    We would be healthier without cars and just a public transport system
    We would be healthier without fast food
    It'd be healthier if no one had children, so in 80 or so years, no one will ever die again :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    It'd be healthier if no one had children, so in 80 or so years, no one will ever die again :ahee:
    That is slightly flawed in that the only reason no one would die again would be because there is no one left to die :p:

ReputationRep:
    By the same argument you could ban practically everything.

We would be healthier without alcohol
    We would be healthier without cars and just a public transport system
    We would be healthier without fast food
    All of which are absolutely true, well done. I'll make one more point, and then I may stop for a while.

What's your opinion on nuclear power?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    All of which are absolutely true, well done. I'll make one more point, and then I may stop for a while.

What's your opinion on nuclear power?
    I think nuclear power is lovely, and is going to have an important part to play in future power generation, I also find the idea of fusion very exciting.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    I think nuclear power is lovely, and is going to have an important part to play in future power generation, I also find the idea of fusion very exciting.
    why?
    I'm just gonna parallel the two. There are some in this world (myself not actually included) who are against the idea of nuclear power as the waste products pose a health risk and such like. I believe that the problem that some people have with it is the fact that it is somebody else (be it the workers or the company itself) taking the risk with this waste product.

And I'd parallel that to smoking by saying that it is the smokers taking the risk with the tar and the carbon monoxide and the nicotine and the cyanides and the formaldehyde (and the rest). I, however, do not want to deal with the 'fallout' of the cigarette - as I'm not using it, I make clear that I don't wish to inherit the consequences of it.

And it does have consequences, even passively as some people have disputed. The nicotine has rotted your brain to delusion if you think that there are no effects for the bystanders.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna parallel the two. There are some in this world (myself not actually included) who are against the idea of nuclear power as the waste products pose a health risk and such like. I believe that the problem that some people have with it is the fact that it is somebody else (be it the workers or the company itself) taking the risk with this waste product.

And I'd parallel that to smoking by saying that it is the smokers taking the risk with the tar and the carbon monoxide and the nicotine and the cyanides and the formaldehyde (and the rest). I, however, do not want to deal with the 'fallout' of the cigarette - as I'm not using it, I make clear that I don't wish to inherit the consequences of it.

And it does have consequences, even passively as some people have disputed. The nicotine has rotted your brain to delusion if you think that there are no effects for the bystanders
    :rofl: I don't smoke so missed swipe there :p:

Everything we do has pretty much to a lesser or great extent an impact on other people, driving a car and alcohol both certainly do.
    You also dont have to be near smokers, by all means restrict it in state buildings. However people should be able to decide whether they want smoking on their premises, eg landlord in a pub. You don't have to go into a pub so you are choosing to be affected by it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke so missed swipe there

Everything we do has pretty much to a lesser or great extent an impact on other people, driving a car and alcohol both certainly do.
    You also dont have to be near smokers, by all means restrict it in state buildings. However people should be able to decide whether they want smoking on their premises, eg landlord in a pub. You don't have to go into a pub so you are choosing to be affected by it.
    I didn't direct it at you alone, so that has to go down as a missed block.

Secondly, smokers stand in shop doorways and in bus shelters. I have to use those services, and that means walking through their fumes. Which, I must say, is borderline antisocial behaviour in my book.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't direct it at you alone, so that has to go down as a missed block.

Secondly, smokers stand in shop doorways and in bus shelters. I have to use those services, and that means walking through their fumes. Which, I must say, is borderline antisocial behaviour in my book.
    shops doorway = shops property, if they didn't like it they can make them clear off.
    At bus stations I am sort of with you though.

ReputationRep:
    shops doorway = shops property, if they didn't like it they can make them clear off.
    So why can the government ban smoking in 'enclosed spaces' (things like the interior of a shop) but not ban it just outside of the shop doors? They can rule over some parts of the shop, but not others? People are being bottlenecked around the smokers at the doors, it's almost achieving the same net effect.

ReputationRep:
    So why can the government ban smoking in 'enclosed spaces' (things like the interior of a shop) but not ban it just outside of the shop doors? They can rule over some parts of the shop, but not others? People are being bottlenecked around the smokers at the doors, it's almost achieving the same net effect.
    I dont think they should be able to ban it in shops

ReputationRep:
    I dont think they should be able to ban it in shops
    And this is the point where we've gone full circle, right back to the start. So, read the 3 pages or so prior to this to find my response and opinion.

ReputationRep:
    And this is the point where we've gone full circle, right back to the start. So, read the 3 pages or so prior to this to find my response and opinion.
    What you don't have to use a shop, so not really.
    I don't think every shop would allow smokers in

ReputationRep:
    It's the right to smoke versus the right to clean air. I strongly subscribe to the right to clean air and I wish that to be respected.
    Since you're not going to go back for it unless I bring it up.

ReputationRep:
    It's a nasty and pointless habit as far as I'm concerned.

It smells so bad, it ruins your health (and other peoples) at least when you drink alcohol you aren't forcing it on other people like second hand smoke. It's ridiculously expensive and I do find it selfish in a way- my dad smokes and I wish he wouldn't because if it kills him one day I would feel very cheated of time with him and he could have changed that. Also when smokers don't get their nicotine fix they are absolutely horrible to be around!

At the end of the day it's the smoker's choice but I would never date one.

ReputationRep:
    Since you're not going to go back for it unless I bring it up.
    And I would side the other way.
    Plenty of fresh air elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    And I would side the other way.
    Plenty of fresh air elsewhere
    I don't want to be forced elsewhere because of my belief that I have the right to breathe clean air. They had a big hub-bub in the 1960s about people being forced to purchase things elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be forced elsewhere because of my belief that I have the right to breathe clean air. They had a big hub-bub in the 1960s about people being forced to purchase things elsewhere.
    Do you avoid all major cities then? The air is anything but clean, smokers or not.

ReputationRep:
    I would smoke if it didn't cost so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    I would smoke if it didn't cost so much.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe_abbey)
    It's a nasty and pointless habit as far as I'm concerned.

It smells so bad, it ruins your health (and other peoples) at least when you drink alcohol you aren't forcing it on other people like second hand smoke. It's ridiculously expensive and I do find it selfish in a way- my dad smokes and I wish he wouldn't because if it kills him one day I would feel very cheated of time with him and he could have changed that. Also when smokers don't get their nicotine fix they are absolutely horrible to be around!

At the end of the day it's the smoker's choice but I would never date one.
    Nah, it doesn't really - it's a common misconception

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.