Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think this forum is the closest for this topic. Mods if you don't agree move it.

I want to learn about NLP (the stuff Derren Brown does, well he does that and cold reading together) and am just wondering if there's anyone on the froum who knows an extended amount on the topic and recommend any further reading to someone who wants to become an adept neuro-liguistic programmer (and perhaps cold reader).

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the neurophysiological literature labels it as unscientific and so it would be quite hard to come across decent sources of information. I guess you could simply google it and look at some of the books that prominent websites offer.

ReputationRep:
    I studied it a year back, I can't remember the books I used as they are now in my uncles possesion but I do have to say they can be very difficult to fully get to grips with. It takes a lot of dedication.

Derren Brown has a book on it all and in it he also suggests others he found useful.

ReputationRep:
    Get some good books from Amazon. Including Derrens book, but imho it was a self promotion rather than an explanation of how to do some of what he does. A lot of the books on the subject are for managers/self improvement, so deal with stuff like making friends, believing in yourself, achievement, etc which may not be what your interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Get some good books from Amazon. Including Derrens book, but imho it was a self promotion rather than an explanation of how to do some of what he does. A lot of the books on the subject are for managers/self improvement, so deal with stuff like making friends, believing in yourself, achievement, etc which may not be what your interested in.
    Funny, because that is one of the main reasons why I want to learn NLP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)
    Funny, because that is one of the main reasons why I want to learn NLP.
    Oh right, well that and what Derren Brown does are very different. Same basic technique, but very different application and uses.

ReputationRep:
    Derren Brown claims to not use NLP, in fact he thinks most of it is pretty ludicrous and unreliable (That's what he says in his book).

Basically it's a pseudo-science, it claims to be science based, using science sounding terms, when in fact it has little or no scientific evidence backing it up. Derren mentions in his book that he went to a sceminar (spelling?) with the founders for a weekend and found the majority of it laughable, however he does mention that small bits of it can be very useful.

He reccommended reading the first two books that the founders published (I can't remember there names) as they contain the most useful information that hasn't yet been tainted by the success that the ideas created. He does mention though that even the information in these books should be taken with a pinch of salt as the techniques will not produce very reliable results due to varying personalities and traits between people.

ReputationRep:
    So if he doesn't use NLP, what the hell does he use.

ReputationRep:
    Say the word "Silk" out aloud

Now spell it (out aloud again).

Say it again.

Now answer the question behind the spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Show

What do cows drink ?

ReputationRep:
    So if he doesn't use NLP, what the hell does he use.
    Magic, Suggestion, Psychology, Misdirection and Showmanship.

ReputationRep:
    To the OP do you know that wrestling is fake?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do. I can remember but someone told me that Derren Brown uses NLP.

I'll just have to stop listeningto that person.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just have to stop listeningto that person.
    Hahah, this made me laugh =D

ReputationRep:
    Most, if not all of what Derren Brown does is plain old magic tricks.

ReputationRep:
    Derren Brown thought about using psychology, but then decided that his magical abilities were far easier to use.

ReputationRep:
    NLP was never really first about influencing other people but concentrating on yourself and the programmes that have become habbit in your own brain.

There's a good book by collin's.

It's a good read and has some interesting ideas, mainly about how to be more positive in yourself in order to become more sucessful.

Basically to stop yourself from holding yourself back from reaching your full potential. Good stuff but takes a lot of implementing. A bit too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    To the OP do you know that wrestling is fake?
    LOL

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.