Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Just seems alot for a daily commute
    I'd expect to be able to put on another 100k miles without any major issues.

ReputationRep:
    1.6 Astra/Focus/Seat Ibiza
    Or Golf if you can get a newish one for that cheap?

ReputationRep:
    60k is bugger all...
    One of my Jags had nearly 300k on the clock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I'd expect to be able to put on another 100k miles without any major issues.
    Sorry to drag this thread up again ive narrowed it down to
    Ford fiesta ST – in love but worried about the amount of petrol it will drink
    Seat Leon
    Golf – Expensive for what it is but parents are willing to contribute
    Decided to go for a “sporty” hatch or Leon as im 5’3 the BMW and Passat just felt way too big for me
    All are 1 or 2 years old and have under 10k on the clock so which is the better car to buy as id be happy with any of them. I have a Sport Ka now for comparison
    Thanks for all you help guys

ReputationRep:
    Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI. If you can get one that hasn't been used as a taxi then it's good. My dad's one is great. If you get an estate some trims (definitely the ambiente) gives you a 6 CD auto-changer, air-con, all electric windows etc. And when he does motorway driving he gets ~70mpg So it's worth considering. It's a VW Bora but with a Skoda badge and price tag.

Incidentally, when I eventually graduate from uni and start earning money I'll either be getting an Octavia or (if Kia don't make the Ce'ed look like the Soul) a Kia Ce'ed

Apologies, I didn't read the last post. I'd go with the Golf but I like VWs. Maybe it won't depreciate as much as others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    VW Golf? you can get the 05 plates from a coupla grand

or what about a Skoda Fabia? the new ones are pretty sporty but also good on fuel consumption
    No way can you get an 05 golf for 2k. Just no way, 5k maybe, just.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterGriffin)
    You might get one a bit cheaper than that mines a 07 and it cost me 6.5k but got 1.5k for mine so 5k in total. Pick it up on monday tho getting all the seat out of the bettle into it could be fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterGriffin)
    coupla doesnt always mean 2 with me sorry lol x

ReputationRep:
    I've just sold my Midnight Purple 512.6bhp (@ the wheels) 0-12MPG AT BEST! R33 GTR V-Spec to help fund my start at Uni this September! I'm kicking myself but uni has to come first for the next few years....

I've gone down to a chipped (185bhp) 1998 VW Passat 1.8 Turbo 20V Sport - which feels slow as hell after 5-6 years of driving high powered rear wheel or four wheel drive cars from the Jap import market!!! But i'm getting an extra 20-23MPG out of the VW (about 30-35mpg at very best - due to my heavy right foot)... It's low milage (Only 65K over 11 years!!!), tinted black rear windows, decent stereo, nice blue dials in the dark and immaculate black leather!
    Loads of gadgets and features in it and it's cost me £800 off a friend... If i wanted to now i could stick it up for sale again at £2100 AND get it!

To you're average Joe though, it's a great car, fairly nippy to those not used to the power that i am, they're good reliable cars and it won't break the bank to buy or insure!

ReputationRep:
    I love my peugeot 206. Is good on petrol...They also do a nice 206cc (convertable sportier version. Has 4 or 5 seats I think)

ReputationRep:
    Sod the Passat - look at a Ford Mondeo!

You get much more car for your money, they are just as good, and they are some of the most reliable cars on the road.

All engines are good, just make sure you get a full service history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    So far on my list

BMW 1 series
    Golf/Polo
    Passat
    BMW 3 series – dads old car but has 60k on the clock

Keep the suggestions coming this is the last car im buying for a quite a while as want to sink as much money into the bug as possible

I think 1 series are 6.5k +

ReputationRep:
    MK4 golf.
    Avoid the 1.4, 1.8, 2.0 and 1.9SDI engines though as they're all crap.

1.6, 1.8T and the TD's are the engines you want, they'll last you forever. I've seen a VAG TDi lump nearing 400k miles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.