Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much of uni is hopeless amounts of reading? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it varies between courses but in a week how many hours or how many books do you read?

ReputationRep:
    courses vary but least 3 hours a day, dont read books but chapters tends to be 11 for an essay normally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    courses vary but least 3 hours a day
    ................................ ................................ .........

course?

ReputationRep:
    My course didn't have any 'hopeless' reading, and had very little reading. :p:
    Vocational course. TV Production.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    ................................ ................................ .........

course?
    Whats your course?, first year ?

Im on History

ReputationRep:
    Whats your course?, first year ?

Im on History
    I'm starting in october depending on how my results turn out so no year and no course atm :p: but will be economics

Ah right history, that's a relief considering you'd expect a large amoutn of reading for history

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge expect you to read 10 subject related books per week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    fml lol, good luck for anybody there

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting in october depending on how my results turn out so no year and no course atm :p: but will be economics

Ah right history, that's a relief considering you'd expect a large amoutn of reading for history
    I guess economics is Business orinenated?
    Yeah history gets a bit i read so much so i totally understnad the subject before i write about it, some can blag, everyone as different styles that work for them.

ReputationRep:
    I guess economics is Business orinenated?
    Yeah history gets a bit i read so much so i totally understnad the subject before i write about it, some can blag, everyone as different styles that work for them.
    nah not really

i think i'm going to despise uni. me + reading does not go

ReputationRep:
    10 hours per year

ReputationRep:
    fml lol, good luck for anybody there
    lol
    A woman from Cambridge came to speak to our school, and said 10 was the minimum
    lmao
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It really does vary depending on the course, but obviously every course will require a certain amount of reading.

You're doing economics, so you should expect a fair amount. Obviously you'll need to read over your notes and the lecture slides, but also read textbooks (well, chapters in them) and also certain journal articles depending on the module, etc.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll hate university? Is it the course, the type of learning (lots of self-study and independent reading), the place (I know Bath is your firm, but where's your insurance?), etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    You're doing economics, so you should expect a fair amount. Obviously you'll need to read over your notes and the lecture slides, but also read textbooks (well, chapters in them) and also certain journal articles depending on the module, etc.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll hate university? Is it the course, the type of learning (lots of self-study and independent reading), the place (I know Bath is your firm, but where's your insurance?), etc.?
    I just don't like reading lol

birmingham's my insurance. Don't care about where i go (in terms of city) so it's not the place.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course tbh, languages will have less reading, law and history will have more reading. Though you will have lots of prescribed reading, not all of it is compulsory though, and as anyone will tell you, in your first year you can get by by doing not much reading at all. Personally I 'read' about 6 books for one essay I had to do, then never read another book. Thankfully, I passed the year.

~V

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Where'd you get that from? My sister read English at Cambridge and she didn't read anything like that much. There's a lot of reading for sure but you don't read all the criticism cover-to-cover, you pick out articles and chapters and stuff. You do a lot of reading for your dissertation (wherever you go) but for tutorial essays you do a lot of skim-reading.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the course. It depends on the Uni. It depends how much you can be bothered.

English for example is delivered in a very small amount of lectures and seminars with the expectation that the rest of the time is spent reading novels, around the novels and about the historical and social context of Literature.

A more vocational course will have more hours in Uni carrying out practical work whilst relying slightly less on the theoretical side of the subject, therefore relying less on books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaduck)
    Where'd you get that from? My sister read English at Cambridge and she didn't read anything like that much. There's a lot of reading for sure but you don't read all the criticism cover-to-cover, you pick out articles and chapters and stuff. You do a lot of reading for your dissertation (wherever you go) but for tutorial essays you do a lot of skim-reading.
    I woman high up in Cambridge came to our school and gave a lecture

ReputationRep:

Depends on uni and what you're aiming for.
    For my first, I basically read, on average, about an hour or two a day. This would be anything from reading the textbook to reading journal articles - by exam period I was reading about 40 pages a day and making notes.

It's largely reinforcing what you learnt in your lectures, preparing for your seminars and going a little further (finding some real life examples, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Depends on uni and what you're aiming for.
    For my first, I basically read, on average, about an hour or two a day. This would be anything from reading the textbook to reading journal articles - by exam period I was reading about 40 pages a day and making notes.

It's largely reinforcing what you learnt in your lectures, preparing for your seminars and going a little further (finding some real life examples, etc.)
    guess i'll probably be looking at the same amount then :rolleyes: fun fun fun

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.