no compulsory reading whatsoever
    Pervert (you know why)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Pervert (you know why)
    forgive me
    I was merely testing you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    guess i'll probably be looking at the same amount then :rolleyes: fun fun fun
    In all honesty, it really isn't that bad! I mean, I presume you're doing Economics because you enjoy it - I really enjoyed quite a bit of my reading. Of course there's the really dry stuff to wade through, but you get that with anything.

And of course, don't say to yourself you're going to do 'x' hours of reading, do it based on what you want to learn. Say you want to revise indifference curves, do that and if it takes less time than planned then it's up to you what you do with your free time. Just make sure you do enough social stuff to even it all out as well =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGreedy)
    forgive me
    I was merely testing you :p:
    Testing me? Whatever for? ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Testing me? Whatever for? ;D
    something i do to see what a person is like

ReputationRep:
    10 books a week at Cambridge???
    I haven't read a book in 5 years
    FML

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGreedy)
    something i do to see what a person is like
    Ahh I see...xD

ReputationRep:
    For my course (Biology) probably like an hour a week. More during exams, around 2 hours a day.
    For my elective module which had essays, i read about 3 chapters in 4 different books per essay (1,500 words).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    God, I don't know how many hours I spend a week reading, or how many books I read a week. I'm not sure I'd want to know tbh! Either way, it's certainly not enough

ReputationRep:
    0 reading. we get lecture notes which i revise from..enough to get you a first. nottm economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    For my course (Biology) probably like an hour a week. More during exams, around 2 hours a day.
    For my elective module which had essays, i read about 3 chapters in 4 different books per essay (1,500 words).
    Hiya, i've actually found someone who is doing/done biology. I'm starting biology with forensic biology degree in september and am really curious about what an average day would be structured like in my first year. I went to an open day and we were told for the first year we'd probably be required to attend uni 3 full days per week. Could you please just give me a bit of an insight into what its like? Im really excited to start!

Thanks

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read a book the three years I was there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    0 reading. we get lecture notes which i revise from..enough to get you a first. nottm economics
    Nothing?! :eek: Nothing at all? No textbooks, no journals?

ReputationRep:
    i doubt you'd have to do any for maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Nothing?! :eek: Nothing at all? No textbooks, no journals?
    why would i need to read a journal? im doing a bachelors not a phd lol. They do tell us the appropriate textbooks but they say lecture notes are self sufficient (which they are)

ReputationRep:
    We got told that we are expected to do at least a few hours of reading per week for each lectures... which would be about 10 hours? Probably a lot more if you read everything that they recommend you read.
    You quickly learn that there is a huge difference between what you are expected to do, and what you actually will do :yep:
    God knows how I managed to get a 2:1 this year

ReputationRep:
    We got told for every lecture we go to, 3 hours of background reading should be average......So next year i will be going to atleast 3 lecture a week in each semester and on top of that my disertation, so what i dont understand is why the final year students have to live in a house 30 min away from the library and the 1st years get to live 2 minutes away when they wont even step into the library until their first day of their last year. hmmmmmm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.