Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Me and my friend both got into college, but now my parents are saying that I have to stay on at school. I'm really upset and angry about it, because I really wanted to go there and sit my A levels, and then apply for University. Another thing is, my friend is still going, and she made it quite clear.

I can't help but feel like she's destering me in a way. Maybe I'm just worrying too much, but I'm going to be alone at school with all the different asswipes, bullys etc.. should I just respect her decision and move on?

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness to your friend, you can't let her put her education on hold due to your parents' descision. Although it may sound easier said than done, just try to be happy for her and make the most of your time left at school, it's only two years. Who knows, you might meet new people.

Is there no way that you could sit your parents down and tell them about your worries and how much you want to go to college?

Nope They are quite stubborn.

I'll try, but I can't help feeling like this, if you know what I mean Also, she might have a hard time in college due to having to travel 2 hours on bus to get there everyday, and with no extra academic support and stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that your friend will be feeling the same as you are, having to go to a new institution with no one she knows?

It also sounds like you agree with your parents and want to stay at school and just want your friend there as well, greedy much?

What? No. Actually read the thread before you make stupid conclusions. I'm very upset that I can't go to college with her, and I was really looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just give it a go at least? Surely if either of you are that unhappy by, say, Christmas, I'm sure that you could change schools/college. Maybe both of you being 'alone' will just give you chance to get to know new people. Stay positive

ReputationRep:
    Dont be angry with your friend for the fact that your parents are being unreasonable. Is there a clear reason why they want you to stay at school? Its your education, it should be your choice. Personally if it were me I would be addressing that issue before even considering the friend thing.

ReputationRep:
    Why won't your parents let you go to college? Surely you're old enough to make your own decisions?

It's the money factor. It'd be quite expensive to send me to college everyday, and they don't exactly have a lot of money right now. I've tried looking for a job, but no hope there, which I think is a **** reason tbh, sometimes money is only one of the little things in life. I'll just try and keep my head up high, and take things as they come.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.