Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Incredibly low CS:S Frame rate. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm getting a really, really bad FPS from Counter Strike: Source when my laptop should be able to do a lot better.

Here is my System Specs and DXDiag info:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: MXC061
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1014MB RAM
    Page File: 701MB used, 1239MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950
    DAC type: Internal
    Display Memory: 224.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: igxprd32.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4926 (English)

Since CS: S runs on the Half Life 2 engine I did a system check using the System Requirements Lab to see if my laptop can run the game, I knew that it could as I've played HL:2 before with all the settings on medium, at 1280x800 res with a decent FPS (around 30) as I expected the results came out as positive, my system exceeded the minimum requirements and the reccommended requirements.

The first problem occured when I installed and launched CS: S normally through steam, the game launched and loaded however following the loading screen, everything went black and I got the following error:

"The instruction at "0x109d3e2c" referenced memory at "0x0e4ea1a0". The memory could not be "read".
    Click on OK to terminate the program"

I googled the error and it something wrong with my RAM, however I don't get errors like this on anything else, eventually I found a work around and forced the game to launch in directX 7 using the command "-dxlevel 70" in the launch options.

Now I would have thought running the game in dx7, while drastically reducing the visual appeal, would boost the FPS by a lot, however when I ran the stress test with settings on high (as the game recommended for me) at 1280x800 resoulution I got an average FPS of only 15, and in game it was even worse.

The game recommended the following settings for my hardware:
    Model Detail: High
    Texture Detail: High
    Shader Detail: High
    Water Detail: Simple Reflections
    Shadow Detail: High
    Antialiasing Mode: None
    Filtering Mode: Trilinear
    Wait For Vertical Sync: Disabled
    High Dynamic Range: None

Now when I seen the terrible FPS I decided to bump everything to minimum to see what would happen so I set the settings to the following:
    Model Detail: Low
    Texture Detail: Low
    Shader Detail: Low
    Water Detail: Simple Reflections
    Shadow Detail: Low
    Antialiasing Mode: None
    Filtering Mode: Bilinear
    Wait For Vertical Sync: Disabled
    High Dynamic Range: None
    Resolution: 600x800

So now i'm running everything on the minimum, resolution at the minumum and using only DX7 on a system that should be able to run everything on high (well, at least minimum as my gpu is integrated) and ran the stress test, the results came back as an amazing average of 20FPS! Right...and again it was even worse in game. Which is definitely unplayable.

Something here is not right....Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    what's the gist of the problem? too much to read (and i probably wouldn't understand) and i may have had the problem before

ReputationRep:
    Update all your drivers? Get Dx10? It could work.

ReputationRep:
    Type 'system requirements' in on google. Then click on the result named 'Can You RUN it?'

Then run the test for counter strike. See if your computer is actually good enough or if there is anything you're lacking in.

ReputationRep:
    You have too little ram, your graphics card is quite bad.

Don't ever trust the 'minimum specifications etc' of the game, they are there just to entice you into buying their games.

your best bet is to upgrade your pc.

ReputationRep:
    Uhh...did any of you guys actually read all of my post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Uhh...did any of you guys actually read all of my post?
    well i wanted the gist of it got too confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    You have too little ram, your graphics card is quite bad.

Don't ever trust the 'minimum specifications etc' of the game, they are there just to entice you into buying their games.

your best bet is to upgrade your pc.
    The minimum requirement for CS: S is just 256mb of RAM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    well i wanted the gist of it got too confusing
    No offence but all the information I gave in the post was needed, I appreciate your willing to help but if you can't be bothered reading it then I won't bother trying to cram it all the information into a condensed form just so you can read it.

On a positive note, at least you admited you didn't even read it, unlike the other guys above me, who clearly didn't, or at least only read the first paragraph with my system information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Hunter)
    Update all your drivers? Get Dx10? It could work.
    Are you an idiot?

You do know that to use DX10 you have to have a graphics card that can run DX10.
    The OP is using a laptop with integrated graphics. Do you really think the integrated graphics would run DX10?

ReputationRep:
    Your graphics card is too crap to play CS: S. You're gonna need to upgrade it.

Integrated cards (especially Intel) are not designed for games, they're designed for word processing, internet etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Are you an idiot?

You do know that to use DX10 you have to have a graphics card that can run DX10.
    The OP is using a laptop with integrated graphics. Do you really think the integrated graphics would run DX10?
    Yeah so what? He might have a super alienware laptop.

I'll admit I didn't read the whole post

ReputationRep:
    make all the settings low, downgrade to dx9. theres a config on the web, which makes all the graphics low, and takes unnecessary stuff out of it. it makes it all basic. this makes the fps fly up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Your graphics card is too crap to play CS: S. You're gonna need to upgrade it.

Integrated cards (especially Intel) are not designed for games, they're designed for word processing, internet etc.
    You see I would have thought that, except it plays Half Life 2 on medium at a very playable FPS, considering they use exactly the same graphics engine, I would have expected very similar results, or at the least something a bit lower. The FPS i'm getting though is simply rediculous.

ReputationRep:
    try some of these

cl_interp "0.01"
    cl_interpolate "1"
    cl_lagcomp_errorcheck "1"
    cl_lagcompensation "1"
    cl_smooth "1"

violence_ablood "1"
    violence_agibs "1"
    violence_hblood "1"
    violence_hgibs "1"

r_3dnow "1"
    r_mmx "1"
    r_sse "1"
    r_sse2 "1"
    cl_forcepreload "1"
    mat_antialias "0"
    mat_forceaniso "0"
    mat_bloomscale "0"

mat_bumpmap "0"
    mat_fastnobump "1"
    mat_fastspecular "1"
    mat_reducefillrate "1"
    mat_trilinear "0"
    mat_wateroverlaysize "16"
    r_3dsky "0"
    r_cheapwaterend "1"
    r_cheapwaterstart "1"
    r_drawdetailprops "0"
    r_lightinterp "0"
    r_renderoverlayfragment "0"

r_rootlod "2"
    r_teeth "0"
    r_waterforceexpensive "0"
    rope_smooth "0"
    rope_subdiv "0"

rope_wind_dist "0"

if you dont like your models shiny then dont use the mat_bumpmap commands. copy these to your cfg file

ReputationRep:
    I have:

2.8GHz Pentium 4
    1GB PC2700 RAM
    ATI X1650pro 512mb

and have to run the game on low settings at 1280x800 and even then I only average 30-40fps dipping into the teens and 20s on the normal CSS maps.

I'm pretty sure my processor is the major bottleneck, but the whole system is crap anyway. For some reason it runs the stress test on high pretty smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    You see I would have thought that, except it plays Half Life 2 on medium at a very playable FPS, considering they use exactly the same graphics engine, I would have expected very similar results, or at the least something a bit lower. The FPS i'm getting though is simply rediculous.

Well, try CS: S on a lower resolution, that may increase performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Well, try CS: S on a lower resolution, that may increase performance.
    Did you not read my post either??

Wow...

(Original post by DevilsJackass)
    try some of these
    cl_interp "0.01"
    cl_interpolate "1"
    the above autoconfig is mostly good - however turning interpolate on will mean that sometimes you shoot at their head and they won't die because of the interpolation - also from my personal experience turning it on decreases the fps?? :confused: - so on my old PC i had cl_interpolate "0" and then you don't need to bother with cl_interp

ReputationRep:
    Did you not read my post either??

Wow...

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but when I see one piece of info that I don't really want to see, I skip the rest.

Anyways, your laptop doesn't look like its going to run Cs: s at an acceptable rate. In fact I have a laptop similar to your specs(if not better), and it can barely run unreal tournament 2k3.. let alone HL2.

Your laptop is general purpose use only, and the fact its a dell, there's no hope.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.