Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Incredibly low CS:S Frame rate. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    CS: Source is more demanding, why do you think Valve would recommend higher specs? It requires a higher level of software support (Directx), therefore it's more demanding.

I'm sorry if you can't handle it, but that's how it is. You're pretty lucky that you've even managed to run Half life 2 on that damn excuse of a laptop.
    Half Life 2 System Req from Steam.com:
    Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Counter Strike: Source System Req from Steam.com
    Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Now you're just making stuff up now...Like I said previously, you should no when to stop argueing about something you don't know anything about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    They run on exactly the same engine, the only way one could be more demanding is if it is a very, very large CS map and if there is a large number of players on it. No one is denying this will cause a drop in FPS but the drop should not be anywhere near as dramatic as anything I am experiencing even on the smaller maps with few players.
    True, they do run on the same engine, but both games do use different features of the same engine in different ways. (Frankly, I'm shocked you got such a high performance for HL2, I have the same integrated GPU in my laptop). The source engine has been vastly tweaked and updated since the original release of HL2 (for example, some CS maps now support HDR, which isn't in HL2) and though I don't know exactly what the differences between the source implementations that kills your FPS is; if you find that the above config doesn't help you at all, then you'll just have to accept that CS won't run on your laptop

ReputationRep:
    Op, go here: http://forums.enemydown.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16994

For major FPS, use dT's config. It will make the game look like ****, but you will get decent FPS even on your laptop.

Use dx level 8.1, and use a resolution of 800x600.

And for the record, the differences in performance between CSS and HL2 are absolutely negligible. Its the same engine, and additions to the source engine like HDR are of no significance if you do not have a top end PC.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people assume that a dual core will be able to run games? Games are GPU dependent, I'd rather have a single core with a decent graphics card than dual core and crappy integrated graphics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    Why do people assume that a dual core will be able to run games? Games are GPU dependent, I'd rather have a single core with a decent graphics card than dual core and crappy integrated graphics.
    Uhh...When did anyone in the thread mention that because I have a Dual-Core that I should be able to run the game? I know gaming performance has very little to do with the CPU, although in CS: S it plays a bit more of a roll, especially on larger maps with more players.

ReputationRep:
    css is actually quite heavy on processing power not sure where i heard/read that so COULD be bs.

and well it would help if css was multi threaded which it isnt sadly

ReputationRep:
    Uhh...When did anyone in the thread mention that because I have a Dual-Core that I should be able to run the game? I know gaming performance has very little to do with the CPU, although in CS: S it plays a bit more of a roll, especially on larger maps with more players.
    Then I don't get why you thought it'd run on integrated laptop graphics. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Then I don't get why you thought it'd run on integrated laptop graphics. :confused:
    Because HL2 did.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't read the OP then either?

ReputationRep:
    based on your original post it may not be your pc. Have you tried reinstalling cs:s because initially your problem starts on load up thus maybe a reinstall will fix it.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't read the OP then either?
    Okay sorry I didn't see the HL2 bit. But still, might patches have affected the FPS of the games? If you play an unpatched version of HL2 and then an unpatched CS, is there still problems?

ReputationRep:
    Okay sorry I didn't see the HL2 bit. But still, might patches have affected the FPS of the games? If you play an unpatched version of HL2 and then an unpatched CS, is there still problems?
    If you play HL2 and CSS on Steam, then it *will* be patched.

ReputationRep:
    while this may be true in SOME cases, for this particular case it's wrong, css is almost entirely a cpu dependant game. the textures are 5 years old, but the physics engine is one of the best around STILL, and it doesn't support physX, so it's extremely cpu dependant. you can get 100 fps (which everyone should aim for) in source with onboard graphics and a good dual core.

ReputationRep:
    1.73ghz CPU.. :|
    If you can run HL2 okay on your integrated graphics then this might be your problem... I can only imagine that the online aspect of CS requires more CPU time than HL2 so it is killing your performance... Try downloading a graphics config file from somewhere (someone linked you to one earlier in the thread), and see if it makes a difference on performance.
    If it doesn't it is likely the CPU is limiting your performance...
    I've never had a CPU that slow, so i'm not too sure... try it anyway and post back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    1.73ghz CPU.. :|
    If you can run HL2 okay on your integrated graphics then this might be your problem... I can only imagine that the online aspect of CS requires more CPU time than HL2 so it is killing your performance... Try downloading a graphics config file from somewhere (someone linked you to one earlier in the thread), and see if it makes a difference on performance.
    If it doesn't it is likely the CPU is limiting your performance...
    I've never had a CPU that slow, so i'm not too sure... try it anyway and post back
    Ah, the wonders of ignorance. Having a processor <2GHz is not the OP's problem. Not at all.

OP, the problem is one as Estel outlined - you're trying to use an itegrated GMA 950 to play a game that, ideally, needs a dedicated card. That is a huge bottleneck. HL2 plays fine because it's older, and becuase it uses the first gen engine, while Source has been updated a lot and CSS has taken advantage of that - it supports newer technology than HL2 ever did. So HL2 will run better, simply because it uses a less intensive version of the engine.

CSS, and incidentally the source engine, have a fantastic ability to not alter FPS. Even running on DX7 with all on low, I've had (i no longer have a machine with integrated graphics) exactly the same issue as you, and as far as I can tell it's simply because Source doesn't scale well for rubbish GPUs. I never found a *proper* fix.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.