Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I am myself, I only get girls whom I don't like

Which means either I am stupid or this whole "be yourself" story is the most ignorant thing ever told by any human being.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on who you are and your personality really.

What sort of girls do you attract, and what sort of girls do you want to attract?

ReputationRep:
    you should be what you love

ReputationRep:
    Being yourself only works if you're just plain awesome, like me :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Yourself can be entirely fictional, if you choose it to be so.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to change yourself for someone they're not worth it. Besides, it's hard to keep up an act.
    Be yourself and eventually you will find someone who likes you for who you really are - argh, that sounds really cheesy!!

ReputationRep:
    How do you define what "yourself" is?

ReputationRep:
    Be yourself yes, but make an effort for the girl you want.

ReputationRep:
    if you're not confident, telling someone to be themselves don't work
    it's just bull
    what you need to to do is get into the mind state that no-one is better than you, and no-one deserves more than you do if you work hard

ReputationRep:
    You have to be yourself if you create an image of yourself that isn't you then its an act your gonna have to keep up which will, most likely, end in failure. Be yourself and keep trying is the best advice I can give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keraroboli Roko Rosae)

Which means either I am stupid or this whole "be yourself" story is the most ignorant thing ever told by any human being.
    belive in yourself

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty flawed advice really. What if you're really arrogant, or manipulative, or judgemental?

ReputationRep:

"Being yourself" is a cliche often used by people who want to give advice to someone in distress. It hardly ever works because most of the time we don't know what it means, or who we are. If we don't know who we are, how can we possibly be ourselves?
    It is pointless advice to give to anyone and I would never follow it. I much rather agree with the statement that you should be honest about what you think you are like, rather than lying about your hobbies or interests in order to get someone's attention. So what I'm trying to say is that "being yourself" is an empty statement. The more specific people can be about the advice they give, the better and more useful it will be.
    That said, I don't think that the fact that you are "being yourself" is related to attracting the wrong people. Maybe you just have to wait until the right girl comes along.

ReputationRep:

You can't be anything more or less than yourself.

Be yourself simply means act as YOU, by your own thoughts, own interests, own values, own abilities. People are happy when they act by their own nature.

As for attracting people you don't like, well perhaps you're complex, which is still being you. And being complex is not a bad thing at all. Maybe you act stupid, but deep down you are not. Maybe try and find out intelligent people, and still be yourself. When you get to know them better, just say you come across as stupid, but deep down you are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Maybe you just have to wait until the right girl comes along.
    But why do others also get wrong girls and I don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by netprime)
    It depends on who you are and your personality really.

What sort of girls do you attract, and what sort of girls do you want to attract?
    No real sort. I see people individually.

Problem is that always the individuals who fall in love with me are girls I don't like. And those whom I like are girls who don't fall in love with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forever_dreamer)
    Be yourself and eventually you will find someone who likes you for who you really are - argh, that sounds really cheesy!!
    I found many people who like me for whom I really am. But I don't like them!!!

ReputationRep:
    But why do others also get wrong girls and I don't?
    Maybe you're just unlucky? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Maybe you're just unlucky? I don't know.
    So I am entitled to be depressed.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? You probably don't really know 'yourself' yet, to be fair. Give yourself a break, and a few years.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.