Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Get thin first or weight lift now? watch

ReputationRep:
    Here is my story. In Jan I was about 280 pounds. Anyway after a while I noticed a lost some weight. So I decided to take the opportunity by losing more weight.

I cut carbs from my diet. I walk to and from work (1 hour each way) and I run all the time. Last month when I weighed my self I was about 212 pounds. I decided to relax for a month (but eating sensibly).

My ultimate goal is to be skinny and muscly. I was told to lose has much weight has possible and then to weight lift. So that I could capitalize on something called "newbie gains". Each pound of muscle I gain would be more significant If I was thin then overweight.

Is that correct? Now that I've been thinking about it. It seems odd. Most people say that weight lifting combined with cardio is the best way to lose weight.

I'm joining the gym this week so that I can exercise more often and for longer. I also want to do non-impact cardio since my knees and ankles hurt after the abuse I put them through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    Here is my story. In Jan I was about 280 pounds. Anyway after a while I noticed a lost some weight. So I decided to take the opportunity by losing more weight.

I cut carbs from my diet. I walk to and from work (1 hour each way) and I run all the time. Last month when I weighed my self I was about 212 pounds. I decided to relax for a month (but eating sensibly).

My ultimate goal is to be skinny and muscly. I was told to lose has much weight has possible and then to weight lift. So that I could capitalize on something called "newbie gains". Each pound of muscle I gain would be more significant If I was thin then overweight.

Is that correct? Now that I've been thinking about it. It seems odd. Most people say that weight lifting combined with cardio is the best way to lose weight.

I'm joining the gym this week so that I can exercise more often and for longer. I also want to do non-impact cardio since my knees and ankles hurt after the abuse I put them through.
    Even if your objective is to lose weight, you should lift weights. Sure, you won't be able to bulk, but there's plenty of time for that when you've lost some weight.

ReputationRep:
    If anything doing some resistance training will help you lose weight. More muscle=higher BMR

ReputationRep:
    What mipegg said. Weight lifting will help burn fat and lose weight as well, but also ofc, do cardio. Doing it all together is the best plan.

ReputationRep:
    whoever told you that chatted ****.

Firstly you were 280lbs

even if you were right chubby, you would've had more muscle under there than a skinny person just from the fact that

1. overeating = anabolic = muscles
    2. carrying 280lbs needs muscles

just doing endless cardio may have just burnt up that muscle

but yeh... do weights, build up muscles, get lean.

ReputationRep:
    One more question. Will I get lean while I'm gaining muscles or is this going to be like those weirdos in BB.com who get build muscles,get fat and then go on a diet.

I don't really care if i get any definition at the moment. I just want to have a healthy lean body by September. After that I want to get more definition.

It doesn't matter to me how long it takes has long has I get into a healthy state of mind. I spent the last 6 years overweight. I can wait a few months.

p.s. should I start to eat carbs? I'm in Ketosis at the moment. I've been at it for a long time but I'm not sure if it will give me enough energy during weight lifting.

ReputationRep:
    Lifting weights helps you to lose weight, lifting weights is THE best way of burning calories, as your body has to repair the damage you do during weight lifting, effectively raising your BMR. A combination of HIIT and weight lifting will be the best way of getting lean. Weight lifting also means you'll burn a higher % of fat, rather than muscle.. Resulting in you looking much better when you trim down rather than "skinny-fat".

No matter how much exercise you do however it won't make a difference unless your diet is on track. Macros aren't important until you get down to a lower BF, just focus on calories and making sure you're less than BMR, do plenty of exercise on top of that and the weight'll soon come off you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.