Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is 99% good enough when it comes to contraception? Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Good enough for me! If you don't feel it is though maybe go on the pill and use condoms?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing in life is 100%, and bearing that in mind, 99% doesn't seem too bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    Nothing in life is 100%, and bearing that in mind, 99% doesn't seem too bad!
    In before death, taxes and hibs not winning the scottish cup.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the purpose of contraception, no, of course 99% isn't good enough. Better than 98% though.

ReputationRep:
    Well you dont really have any other choice to allow for near 100%. You are going to get is what is available at 99% im afaird.

(Original post by lustina)
    is 99% good enough when it comes to contraception? Thoughts?
    yep. most of the time. it's better than nothing
    mind you, my brother was born an accident

ReputationRep:
    Well if you don't use 99% effective contraception, it's 0%.

I know what I would rather do...

Worrying to think though if you have sex 100 times you will on average be pregnant once.

(Original post by nnnomi)
    Well if you don't use 99% effective contraception, it's 0%.

I know what I would rather do...
    Could always use two 99% contraception though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Worrying to think though if you have sex 100 times you will on average be pregnant once.
    It's not as simple as that. You then have to factor in that 1% chance (of it letting sperm through) vs the chance of getting getting pregnant (apparently 3% after throwing all the factors in). Both have to occur at the same time.

So, using my terrible maths skills:

0.01x0.03 = 0.0003

or rather, 0.03% chance to get pregnant every time you use a condom. If you factor in the pill - then it's fairly safe =]

ReputationRep:
    Well, no. Because every time you have sex and don't get pregnant, the odds start again.

Think about rolling a dice. There is a 1 in 6 chance you will roll a 3. If you roll the dice, and don't roll a 3, you missed out. it's not like saying if you roll 5 more times you will get a 3. You start the odds off again each time you roll, you still have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 3.

Same with pregnancy. If you have sex and don't become pregnant (99/100) it's not like the next time it's only 98/100 and so on and so forth until you either get pregnant or get to your 100th try.

ReputationRep:
    just get things neatly tied up if you want to be 100%...and even that isn't 1000% i believe

ReputationRep:
    The only foolproof way to prevent falling pregnant is to abstain from sex entirely. If you're not gonna do that then there's always a chance... I'm sure for most people it's worth the risk!

No company can say that they have a 100% product because theres always something that can go wrong if your unlucky. If you make sure your partner uses the condom correctly then you will not get pregnant. You could go on the pill and use the condom too its not impossible for you to get pregnant but is it likely? If your partner uses a condom from a reliable brand and one that hasnt been sitting in his wallet for the last 2 months and puts it on properly you wont get pregnant. No 99% is not enough but make sure you do things right and dont leave it to chance.

ReputationRep:
    This is false. And so are the subsequent responses to it.

When a birth control method is said to be 99 percent effective, that doesn't mean you have a one percent chance of getting pregnant each time you have sex.

Instead, a 99 percent efficacy rate means that, in any given year, out of 100 women regularly using this method of contraception, 1 will get pregnant.

That's why they talk about "perfect use" rates and "typical use" rates. If 100 women use a birth control method consistently and correctly for a year, a certain small percentage will still get pregnant; but if 100 women use it inconsistently or incorrectly, as we dumb humans are wont to do, obviously a larger percentage of them will get pregnant.

For example, oral contraceptive pills are 99.7 percent effective with perfect use, and 92 percent effective with typical use (so says wikipedia anyway—which may be unreliable, but we'll use it anyway as an illustration). That means that out of 1000 women who use birth control pills perfectly, 3 will get pregnant, but out of 1000 women who are on them but maybe forget a pill now and again, 80 will get pregnant.

Hope all that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    It's not as simple as that. You then have to factor in that 1% chance (of it letting sperm through) vs the chance of getting getting pregnant (apparently 3% after throwing all the factors in). Both have to occur at the same time.

So, using my terrible maths skills:

0.01x0.03 = 0.0003

or rather, 0.03% chance to get pregnant every time you use a condom. If you factor in the pill - then it's fairly safe =]
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    Well, no. Because every time you have sex and don't get pregnant, the odds start again.

Think about rolling a dice. There is a 1 in 6 chance you will roll a 3. If you roll the dice, and don't roll a 3, you missed out. it's not like saying if you roll 5 more times you will get a 3. You start the odds off again each time you roll, you still have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 3.

Same with pregnancy. If you have sex and don't become pregnant (99/100) it's not like the next time it's only 98/100 and so on and so forth until you either get pregnant or get to your 100th try.
    I don't believe any of you are right in this. FireDeuce, that is still the way all probabilities work - approximately 1 in 100 times something would happen when the probability is 1%, equally with your maths scenario - there would still be one 3 rolled approximately every 6 tries.

I think the correct interpretation for the effectiveness of contraception is per year of typical sexual intercourse. So if 100 women are using the pill for a year (lets say having sex 200 times) 1 will become pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondsky99)

I think the correct interpretation for the effectiveness of contraception is per year of typical sexual intercourse. So if 100 women are using the pill for a year (lets say having sex 200 times) 1 will become pregnant.
    Where did you get this interpretation from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocoa)
    just get things neatly tied up if you want to be 100%...and even that isn't 1000% i believe
    Tube-tying is 99.9%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Where did you get this interpretation from?
    http://www.cks.nhs.uk/contraception/...contraceptives

http://contraception.about.com/od/bi...ectiveness.htm

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_he.../bc_chart.html

"For every 100 couples using each type of birth control, the chart shows how many of these couples will get pregnant within a year"

The poster above me also said the same thing

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.