Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Playing really old games on a new PC? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible at all?

I'm talking 1997 and before - get really weird messages when I try to install it, which make it sound like i should give up! Should I?

Its 'X-COM: Apocalypse' by the way - had a strange urge to play it for a while now and that i can't is annoying! No other games seem to be presented in a similar format (Total War games are similar but without the 'mystery' factor, as it were).

ReputationRep:
    Try DOSbox

http://www.dosbox.com/

Should work.

ReputationRep:
    I want to install Hogs of War on vista. Tell me how.

Playing older games can be a challenge. Some are OK with a little fiddling, some will work eventually with a lot of fiddling. Some need emulators like DOSBox.

XCOM Apocalypse... just give up. You'll never get it to work. It was a pain in the arse on native DOS / Windows 98 machines, so basicaly it'll be impossible on XP or later. Luckily for you, Xcom UFO Defense is a much better game, so I say just go back to that :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airel)
    Try DOSbox

http://www.dosbox.com/

Should work.
    Thanks I'll try that. I'll assume i'll need a windows OS.

(Original post by Bhumbauze)
    Playing older games can be a challenge. Some are OK with a little fiddling, some will work eventually with a lot of fiddling. Some need emulators like DOSBox.

XCOM Apocalypse...just give up. You'll never get it to work. It was a pain in the arse on native DOS / Windows 98 machines, so basicaly it'll be impossible on XP or later. Luckily for you, Xcom UFO Defense is a much better game, so I say just go back to that :p:.
    I'll give it a (perhaps brief) go anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Thanks I'll try that. I'll assume i'll need a windows OS.

I'll give it a (perhaps brief) go anyway.
    These people know what they're talking about when it comes to Xcom. It takes effort, but even Apocalypse can work under Vista (UFO and TFTD are easy to get working).

Edit: just started it up again to make sure - works like a charm

BTW, great taste in games :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.