Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! I've just got contact lenses... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been wearing glasses for the past few years and I've just got some contact lenses for the first time. I'm short-sighted (-1.75), and I just wanted them for playing sport.

I've bought some daily disposables, but they take me 20 minutes to get in and 30 minutes to get out, and taking them out makes my eyes really sore. I like wearing them, but I just find it so inconvenient!

Anyway, have you got any tips for getting them in/out quickly, and without poking your eyes too much?! And, even though I've only got daily disposables, should I wear them more than once?

Is it safe to sleep in daily disposables?
    Thanks guys and gals

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes perfect.

And don't sleep in them, please.

ReputationRep:
    don't sleep in them and just practice. seriously after a few weeks you'll be able to put them in/out in a matter of seconds. seriously all it takes is a bit of practice. if they're to bad get some actimist eye spray to use whilst you're wearing them

ReputationRep:
    Practice. Eventually they'll come in and out within seconds. You might not believe it, but it will get easier over time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you get better at it.. i was cack to begin with but just stick at it lol.

and yeah dont sleep in them lol, done it before and my eyes were so dry haha

Dont wear them more than once aswell, probably get an eye infection or something.

ReputationRep:
    stick with it i was in tears (of frustration and eye pokage) when i first got lenses but it is sooooo worth sticking with

i have now been wearing contacts on a daily basis for the past 5-6 years or so and can't imagine going back to glasses

so do stick with it

tips: don't be squeemish about touching your eyes and some drops may help

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Don't sleep in them and don't wear them more then once. I tried that and once one broke into little peices in my eye. That wasn't a fun trip to the eye hospital.
    Used to take me a while too but now I can get them in and out in seconds without using a mirror. It'll come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizmo)
    I've been wearing glasses for the past few years and I've just got some contact lenses for the first time. I'm short-sighted (-1.75), and I just wanted them for playing sport.

I've bought some daily disposables, but they take me 20 minutes to get in and 30 minutes to get out, and taking them out makes my eyes really sore. I like wearing them, but I just find it so inconvenient!

Anyway, have you got any tips for getting them in/out quickly, and without poking your eyes too much?! And, even though I've only got daily disposables, should I wear them more than once?

Is it safe to sleep in daily disposables?
    Thanks guys and gals
    Practice really does make perfect it took me ages to put them in/out quickly, and ages to stop ripping them! My tip for taking them out is to use both of your index or middle fingers, place one at either end of your eyes and gently move them towards the middle. The contact lens should just pop out!

Ooo and yeah it's not good to sleep in them, even if it says you can, because it dries your eyes out and it's better to give your eyes a little break!

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't wear dailys more than once, I found that after a couple of times practising I can get them in and out really easy. I think that it could be down to the individual, my brother has had glasses for a few years and he really struggled with lenses but I've been wearing glasses since I was small (really short sighted -8.25) but I can do it...kinda odd :P

Keep practising, it'll get easier.

ReputationRep:
    Cut your nails, so you don't scratch your eyes or anything. How does it take 20 minutes though ? Maybe be a bit braver when you're putting them in? Did your optician show you how to put them in?

ReputationRep:
    Stick to it. Soon you'll be able to wear them seconds before you go out. Just practice.

Make sure they are the right way up. Try getting as close to the mirror as possible and if you have large lashes pull them back. and ALWAYS wash and dry your hands before wearing them.

Never sleep in them and when you want to take them out, slide the lense down a bit with your finger and then take them out and not directly.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I can sleep in mine, they are made for it :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Putting them in for the first time took me about an hour.. Then, half an hour for a couple of days, within 5 minutes the first two weeks and in a matter of seconds now. Don't give up .

ReputationRep:
    Put the contact lens on the index finger of the opposite hand to the eye you're putting it in (right hand for left eye, left hand for right eye), use your fore finger and thumb to open your eye wide. Stare into a mirror and simply place the contact lens in your eye. Surely that can't take twenty minutes?

ReputationRep:
    It will get easier. To put them in, try looking to the side and putting the lens on the white part of your eye, wait a second and then blink. And make sure your fingers are dry so it doesn't stick to your fingers.

Only wear them once and don't sleep in them.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep trying, it's such a biatch at first but just keep at it! My eyes were mega sore for the first week or so x

ReputationRep:
    Slept in mine once, tried taking it out and it was stuck to my eye. Literally plastered to my eye ball.

ReputationRep:
    It used to take me FOREVER to get my contacts in haha.
    When putting them in, don't look at the actual contact itself as that will just put you off. I tend to look away then when it's on my eyeball, sort of just move it into the right position.
    They might be uncomfortable because you have trapped air underneath the contact? Try putting it in starting with the bottom of the contact first to avoid this.

Please don't sleep in them! You're not supposed to wear them for more than 8 hours at a time, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep at it, you'll get better in time
    Also, don't sleep in them or your brain will explode

ReputationRep:
    i take mine out a bit differently to most people but i find it much easier... hold your upper and lower lid with each hand, look forward and focus on something and then push your eyelids inwards slightly and then together, and the lens should just pop out :-)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.