Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! I've just got contact lenses... watch

ReputationRep:
    practice, and place the lens on the white of your eye, and then manouver it over your pupil. and obviously the opposite with taking it out.

and well i've slept in mine a couple of times, as i've stayed over a friends house etc, and forget to bring my glasses or spare contacts. but it makes your eyes feel like people have been sprinkling sand onto them. and never wear them twice!

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, this all sounds so terrible. Am getting contacts in a few weeks and feeling terribly put off by reading this thread!

Someone tell me it's not ALL bad with this fidgety stuff....

ReputationRep:
    Practise makes perfect. The first time I had to put them in with the optician talking me through it it took about 20 minutes. I just kept blinking. But now it takes 10 seconds to put them in and 10 seconds to take them out.

I find them harder to take out when my eyes are a little bit dry. Get some contact lens friendly eye drops if this happens to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kellybaby)
    i take mine out a bit differently to most people but i find it much easier... hold your upper and lower lid with each hand, look forward and focus on something and then push your eyelids inwards slightly and then together, and the lens should just pop out :-)
    I tried your technique and it works! So much quicker and no poking my eyes. Thanking you so much I could kiss you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustang Sally)
    Oh gosh, this all sounds so terrible. Am getting contacts in a few weeks and feeling terribly put off by reading this thread!

Someone tell me it's not ALL bad with this fidgety stuff....
    I managed to put them in my eye and take them out with ease the first time I tried. I guess it depends on the person? Try cleaning your hands and touching the white of your eye, if you can do it without flinching or crying, you'll probably be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Don't sleep in them and don't wear them more then once. I tried that and once one broke into little peices in my eye. That wasn't a fun trip to the eye hospital.
    Used to take me a while too but now I can get them in and out in seconds without using a mirror. It'll come
    how did they get rid of the little pieces (at the eye hospital)?
    I've had little pieces in my eye three times and I've got them out just rubbing water into the eyes and blinking - atleast I think all of them are gone 0_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizmo)
    I tried your technique and it works! So much quicker and no poking my eyes. Thanking you so much I could kiss you...
    I do that method as well - the optician taught it me after it took me ages to remove the lense the normal way (sliding it and pinching it out)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    how did they get rid of the little pieces (at the eye hospital)?
    I've had little pieces in my eye three times and I've got them out just rubbing water into the eyes and blinking - atleast I think all of them are gone 0_o
    They put that horrible orange dye stuff in my eye, loads of it to see how bad it was then made me use one of those little eye bath things over and over and over again to wash it out and kept putting dye in to check if there was any left in there.

My eye was sore afterwards

Then they shine super-bright lights in your eyes to check for ulcers and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    They put that horrible orange dye stuff in my eye, loads of it to see how bad it was then made me use one of those little eye bath things over and over and over again to wash it out and kept putting dye in to check if there was any left in there.

My eye was sore afterwards

Then they shine super-bright lights in your eyes to check for ulcers and so on.
    urgh eye baths - im scared of using them despite being able to prod my eyes when putting contacts in.

ReputationRep:
    I once woke up and spent 20 minutes trying to remove contacts that I eventually remembered removing 4 hours before.

ReputationRep:
    You're exactly the same as me, same prescription, same type, and I only got mine about a month ago, except I just use them for driving.

Didn't the optician walk you through putting them in and out and make you do it?

It's true though that practice makes perfect, although I've never had trouble taking them out. I know there are different ways but what I do is pull the bottom lid down with the pad of my left index finger, and use my right index and thumb to squeeze the lens horizontally so it pops off, piece of cake. As far as putting them in goes, I found it also took about 20 minutes first time, but it gets quicker and quicker, and now takes me about 3 seconds per eye

Oh, and never sleep in them, there's a chance you can go blind. Apparently it hardly ever happens, but I don't fancy the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizmo)
    And, even though I've only got daily disposables, should I wear them more than once?

Is it safe to sleep in daily disposables?
    People have already given perfectly good responses to these questions, but if you're having to ask them then maybe your optician didn't teach you how to use them properly, and that's one of the reasons you're having so much trouble with them?

Everyone comes up with a technique they're happy with for getting them in or out. Mine always uses my right hand thumb and index finger on the lens (the thumb only when taking them out), and two middle finger on each hand to pull my eyelids open (right on the bottom, left on the top). If you're left handed, you probably want to reverse this.

Getting them out I tend to look straight forwards, focus on nothing in particular, use my index finger to touch my lens and pull it slightly to the right away from the centre of my eye, as the thumb goes in for the pinch. It's important to remember that at no point does your finger actually touch your eye, you only touch the lens! Also the longer you wear the lenses, the drier they become and the easier they are to pinch to take out.

Getting them in is more tricky... I find I can control where the lens goes a lot more if I wipe excess solution from it on to the inside of the sterile package it came in, then once it's on my finger I use some kind of lint free tissue (kitchen towel works pretty well) to wipe from my finger (not the lens!) the excess solution that's dripping down my finger. Otherwise it ends up too wet, I get solution everywhere and it'll often slip out of place on my finger which is really, really frustrating as I find I'm poking my eye with a dry finger not a wet contact lens (ouch!). Then when it's in about the right place I move my eyes around so it "catches" as it's held on the eye by surface tension - you'll get used to feeling when this happens. Blink a few times and it's fine.

It's important to take it slowly... make sure it isn't inside out, make sure it's exactly how you want it on your finger at the start... if you try and rush it you'll be there for ages trying again and again, your eyes getting more pissed off and your grip on your eyelids relaxing so there's no chance of you getting them in!

Oh and a final thing is I generally find my eyes are much happier to receive it when I've been up a few hours, than when I'm trying to put them in having just gotten up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizmo)

haha you are very welcome :yes: it is definitely much easier!!!

ReputationRep:
    at least u can put them in!!just practise
    when i tried after several times,when I was about to put them all in-the edge of the lense was touching my eye, only the curvy area was left to put it completely in-then my eye blinked lol
    any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I take mine out by just picking them off my eye. I can't do the thing where you drag it to the side and it falls out...

ReputationRep:
    ive been wearing contacts for about 6 years now. It just takens getting used to, really. But everyone is different. My Dad can't wear them, his eyes just get irritated.
    I wear daily's aswell, they are fantastic.
    Make sure you wash your hands before touching them, that could help. And just take your time, don't get fusterated or stressed.

ReputationRep:
    It took me more than two hours the first time I tried to get my contacts in! Having been wearing them for about 11 years now I've kind of got used to them though. Here's my advice (taken mostly from my optician).

Make sure you have very clean hands before you start, so no dust or other particles get into your eyes. Don't look straight forward when trying to put them in. Lets say you're putting your right contact lens in...

1. Place your lens on the tip of your left index finger, making as little contact with the lens as possible.
    2. With your right index finger lift your top eyelid.
    3. With your left middle finger pull down your bottom eyelid.
    4. Move your left index finger and contact close to your right eye, but stop before you make contact.
    5. Move your right eyeball either left or right (whichever is more comfortable) so that your index finger with the contact is barely visible/very blurry.
    6. Move your left index finger with contact lens slowly toward your eye until you feel the lens make contact with your eye.
    7. Pull your finger away slowly and the contact should stick to your eye.
    8. Twirl your eye slowly to make sure the contact lens is sitting nicely - it will correct itself so that it sits in the middle of your eye
    9. Let go of your eyelids and blink in wonderment at the clear world in front of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizmo)
    I've been wearing glasses for the past few years and I've just got some contact lenses for the first time. I'm short-sighted (-1.75), and I just wanted them for playing sport.

I've bought some daily disposables, but they take me 20 minutes to get in and 30 minutes to get out, and taking them out makes my eyes really sore. I like wearing them, but I just find it so inconvenient!

Anyway, have you got any tips for getting them in/out quickly, and without poking your eyes too much?! And, even though I've only got daily disposables, should I wear them more than once?

Is it safe to sleep in daily disposables?
    Thanks guys and gals
    Did you get yours from Boots? I did and they gave me a free hour long tutorial on how to put them in. Very helpful considering I have quite small deep set eyes that are not really best suited to contact lenses. Maybe try going there? You seriously cannot go on like this, I thought 5/10 minutes to put mine in was too much!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.