Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

at uni, i'm on a course with lots of foreign people- won't know how to deal with it watch

this year, i will be going to university and be doing a course at a top uni. the course naturally attracts lots of foreign people so i'm told. given that its a top uni, it will attract even more foreign people. perhaps 80% or more people on it will be foreign. in my normal life, i don't converse with foreign people at all (the odd person now and then) and i've known them for years, so imagine how potentially bad it could be at uni. the thing is, i have always liked my course but it has been at the back of my mind of who will be doing it with me.

i guess i've posted in the health and relationship forum because i want to be friends with these people. i want to conquer my fear positively rather than avoid these people. hence the relationship side. this could then lead on to me having a good, fit mental state if i am able to converse with these people. thanks for any help you can give

ReputationRep:
    Well at the end of the day you're going to Uni to get an education and by the sounds of it you really like your course and the Uni your going to is really good and that's your main priority considering all the debt your getting into!

I think you're worrying over nothing really. Foreign students are human at the end of the day and you'll like some people better than others. To be honest some of the craziest people I know from Uni are from overseas (not a bad way, just crazy in funny way). Just keep an open mind, be polite, make an effort and you'll soon make friends with people worth making friends with.

Also remember that your social life doesn't end with your course. There are people in your halls, through societies and general going out. Its good to get out of your comfort zone and you'll probable learn a lot from this experience.

ReputationRep:
    They aren't aliens! You can talk to them as you would other people.

ReputationRep:
    They're normal people you know :P

ReputationRep:
    they're human

you would 'deal with it' just the same as you would with any situation with any other human being there...

i think you're over thinking this a little too much mate! =]

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you know or not but they're people, they won't eat you whole.

ReputationRep:
    Well, from which countries?

If it's the USA, then obviously there is no language problem. Even if it's from Europe, Europeans often speak good English.

So just chat, and get to know them. They would welcome knowing somebody in a new country.

ReputationRep:
    They are humans you know no aliens. They obviously will speak good English if they are at uni in England.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't need 'dealing with' - just try to make friends the same way you normally would ...

ReputationRep:
    You might end up loving it.
    As of now a massive percent of my friend group is chinese...
    had you asked me about this in year 13 I would have been like...wtf?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.