Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically, to put a long story short, I broke up with my ex about a year ago, since then I've found it very hard to be the person I once was.
    Before I met her/broke up with her, I was the funny one of the group - I had a lot of friends and could make them laugh on cue. After I broke up with her I lost a lot weight and spiraled into depression. I have put the weight back on, and then some, and have dragged myself out of the the tip, to a certain degree, but I still can't be funny like I was.
    I don't have feelings for my ex, I neither like nor dislike her, and so I can't see any reason why I have lost my sense of humour. I just seem to say '****-ish' things now (not overly offensive, just stupid things) or just generally be too serious and talk about depressing subjects, instead of being funny, through which I have lost many friends from.

Has anybody got any insight into why I have lost my humour, and how I could possibly regain it?

ReputationRep:
    maybe youre just saying the same sort of things that you used to but because youre friends have probably changed a little over that time but you may not have done due to depression and so you reverted back to how you were when you were happy but those things arent as funny to your friends as they used to be ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    maybe youre just saying the same sort of things that you used to but because youre friends have probably changed a little over that time but you may not have done due to depression and so you reverted back to how you were when you were happy but those things arent as funny to your friends as they used to be ?
    He'd almost certainly realise if that were the case.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, you're sad depiction of how helpless you feel certainly entertained me.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, so am I.

join the club.

ReputationRep:
    You remind me of a mate of mine. Pete, Pete Shepherd. God we used to have a laugh together. He'd have me in hysterics evertime I saw him. He was a Chelsea fan, I used to support Spurs, and when we met we used to have a chat and a laugh.

Anyway, one day a couple of kids were messing around in his shop and they chucked bleach in his eyes. Blinded him. I went to visit him in the hospital, tears coming out of his bandaged, frazzled eyes. He said to me, "You know what, I don't think I'll ever laugh again". And I don't think he ever has.

I stopped going to visit him in the end, got too depressing you know. I only used to hang out with him because he was a laugh, but he just got boring. He was miserable, blind. Not my cup of tea. "My eyes, my eyes!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, to put a long story short, I broke up with my ex about a year ago, since then I've found it very hard to be the person I once was.
    Before I met her/broke up with her, I was the funny one of the group - I had a lot of friends and could make them laugh on cue. After I broke up with her I lost a lot weight and spiraled into depression. I have put the weight back on, and then some, and have dragged myself out of the the tip, to a certain degree, but I still can't be funny like I was.
    I don't have feelings for my ex, I neither like nor dislike her, and so I can't see any reason why I have lost my sense of humour. I just seem to say '****-ish' things now (not overly offensive, just stupid things) or just generally be too serious and talk about depressing subjects, instead of being funny, through which I have lost many friends from.

Has anybody got any insight into why I have lost my humour, and how I could possibly regain it?
    Sounds really as though the break-up is what led to this. It no doubt sapped your confidence and also your ability to make people laugh.

See a counsellor and that can help mend you and return you to your old self?

ReputationRep:
    i think id better stop reading this thread before i spiral into depression and lose my sense of humour too...

ReputationRep:
    This exact same thing happened to me. Except I split up with my ex 2-3 years ago.
    I am still sorting myself out now because one thing after another kept going wrong in my life, even recently I just came back from a well deserved holiday (in my opinion!) and really felt everything was back on track in my life - I mean REALLY well, almost too well. Then a few days ago my application to uni was unsuccessful and I felt my heart sink again as if everything I do goes wrong.

(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    Sounds really as though the break-up is what led to this. It no doubt sapped your confidence and also your ability to make people laugh.

See a counsellor and that can help mend you and return you to your old self?
    I considered going to a counselor but I wondered what they could actually do? My confidence did take a hit, but when I'm with my friends I don't worry about confidence and whatnot due to knowing them for so long, I don't actually know why I can't be funny anymore.

Anybody else got suggestions/is like this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm Rose. Nice to meet you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I considered going to a counselor but I wondered what they could actually do? My confidence did take a hit, but when I'm with my friends I don't worry about confidence and whatnot due to knowing them for so long, I don't actually know why I can't be funny anymore.

Anybody else got suggestions/is like this?
    I feel like the same has happened to me, but I put it down to my general wanting to get rid of all of my friends and by doing so I am only around one person for the majority of my life so I am no longer aware of what is currently funny or whatever

Don't get depressed about it, many of the most popular comedians have suffered depression to some extent

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.