Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK so I know how to use proxies to hide my ip address but am still fully aware that this is not fool proof and organisations such as the government and police can still identify you while using them. So my question is that is there any way to fully hide your ip address so that it can't be identified?

ReputationRep:
    I thought hiding your IP address was illegal? I might be wrong though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetlovinchick2k1)
    I don't think it is but in my opinion I'm just protecting my own personal privacy seeing as you can locate someone's address with an ip address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetlovinchick2k1)
    Using a proxy isn't illegal, but you can't hide from the government either...
    Even using PG and such programs are useless....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    OK so I know how to use proxies to hide my ip address but am still fully aware that this is not fool proof and organisations such as the government and police can still identify you while using them. So my question is that is there any way to fully hide your ip address so that it can't be identified?
    Can they do this reliably? I'm not so sure.

(Original post by PieMaster)
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    My understanding of proxies is that, like a router, they decapsulate incoming packets and then encapsulate them but with an altered header. Unless the contents of the packet contained the IP address of the person using the proxy, I'd say that the source is not possible to identify, unless the proxy was compromised, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)

My understanding of proxies is that, like a router, they decapsulate incoming packets and then encapsulate them but with an altered header. Unless the contents of the packet contained the IP address of the person using the proxy, I'd say that the source is not possible to identify, unless the proxy was compromised, of course.
    I don't know much about this subject but could the people needing the ip address force the proxy site to tell them the ip addresses using the ip address, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they can but I'm not entirely sure but it makes sense especially since if they couldn't government sites could easily be hacked and you could not be traced. I saw a news article some time ago about some Chinese teenagers that hacked the US government from a simple 28.8kbps modem and obviously they were traced.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you want to hide from ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    Who do you want to hide from ?
    Not anyone per say but I just want to exercise my right to personal privacy. I mean seriously look at this: http://www.ip-adress.com/

If a free website can do that I wonder what the government can do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the government can find out your address.

ReputationRep:
    How about using an encrypted VPN? That VPN for securely using public WiFi hotspots, ad sponsored.

Edit: Hotspot Shield

Edit: Or just use Tor

ReputationRep:
    Not anyone per say but I just want to exercise my right to personal privacy. I mean seriously look at this: http://www.ip-adress.com/

Your IP address resolves to your ISP and the IP addresses your ISP dynamically assigns are geographically organised, meaning they can pinpoint your location to the nearest exchange or headend. Big deal. To link your IP address to a particular subscriber's geographical address, you need to get the ISP involved as they're the ones that link an account to the IP address. The government would either have to have a feed into the ISP's database to link particular IP addresses to households, or would have to gain court orders to get the ISPs to provide those details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    I don't know much about this subject but could the people needing the ip address force the proxy site to tell them the ip addresses using the ip address, if that makes sense?
    Yeah - if the proxy was compromised by the government, then they'd know who was doing what under what proxy IP address. Often, though, if you're serious about not getting caught, you'll use a proxy in another country, one with strict privacy laws.

ReputationRep:

That site located me near Leeds...I live in the South East. However, Google Maps can locate me to my road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    That site located me near Leeds...I live in the South East. However, Google Maps can locate me to my road.
    How do you get Google Maps to locate you like that? Just to confirm, you're not using a device with GPS?

ReputationRep:
    How do you get Google Maps to locate you like that? Just to confirm, you're not using a device with GPS?
    In Firefox 3.5 (and some other newer browsers, can't remember which) there is a white box with a circle in beneath the panning bit and above the zoom bit on Google Maps, clicking the circle (and confirming to share your location) it tries to locate you.

ReputationRep:
    Tor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    In Firefox 3.5 (and some other newer browsers, can't remember which) there is a white box with a circle in beneath the panning bit and above the zoom bit on Google Maps, clicking the circle (and confirming to share your location) it tries to locate you.
    That is actually a feature they put into Firefox 3.5 it won't do it without your permission. http://en-gb.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/firefox/geolocation I tried it and it asked for my permission before it gave out where I am. May have a few bugs though since it thinks I am in Washington

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is but in my opinion I'm just protecting my own personal privacy seeing as you can locate someone's address with an ip address.
    my IP address thing always shows up as random locations such as Littlehampton, Portsmouth and even once Leeds lol x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness123)
    That is actually a feature they put into Firefox 3.5 it won't do it without your permission. http://en-gb.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/firefox/geolocation I tried it and it asked for my permission before it gave out where I am. May have a few bugs though since it thinks I am in Washington
    I did say 'and confirming to share your location'. And I think the feature is in a couple of other browsers, not just Fx 3.5.
    Edit: The extension integrated into Fx 3.5 is the 'Geode extension'. And it only works for Wi-Fi connections.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.