Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Not anyone per say but I just want to exercise my right to personal privacy. I mean seriously look at this: http://www.ip-adress.com/

If a free website can do that I wonder what the government can do.
    It's not really that big a deal that your IP address can be used to find out roughly where you live. It's like complaining that your address can be found with your postcode. And IP address is an address. The point of it is to locate you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's not really that big a deal that your IP address can be used to find out roughly where you live. It's like complaining that your address can be found with your postcode. And IP address is an address. The point of it is to locate you.
    It's generally much more difficult to find out someone's post code when they are out 'browsing' in shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    It's generally much more difficult to find out someone's post code when they are out 'browsing' in shops.
    Well if you don't like it, stick to doing your shopping on the high street. If you want the convenience of doing things like shopping at home, you've got to give people a way to get information to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well if you don't like it, stick to doing your shopping on the high street. If you want the convenience of doing things like shopping at home, you've got to give people a way to get information to you.
    I personally don't have a problem with it. My point was that whilst a post code and an IP address are essentially the same thing, one is much easier identified than the other, and so the comparison you made wasn't really relevant.

ReputationRep:
    The Government could find you if they knew your IP and got a court order to get your ISP to tell them who you are but the only way they will find out your IP is if they get the details from the server of the website you are visiting (if based abroad then they can't do this without, 1) asking, 2) hacking the server). Using a proxy or VPN will hide your IP (sometimes) from the website you are visiting so even if they ask they can't find out.

So no, the Government cannot easily find out who you are and where you're visiting. Most proxies are **** however.

ReputationRep:
    JAP is one of the best anonymity services I've been told, if you use this nobody should be able to tell who it is. Turn Java off too if you want to be anon when browsing.

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I don't think it is but in my opinion I'm just protecting my own personal privacy seeing as you can locate someone's address with an ip address.
    The average user is unable to locate someone's address with their ip address. Some IP addresses (such as the one assigned to me by Virgin Media) have vague geographical information. The site you linked me to cites my 'address' as 120 miles away from where I'm sitting.

The only people who can find out your actual address from your IP are your ISP and those with court orders. I really don't see what the problem is. If you really want privacy just use something like http://www.your-freedom.net/

I've possibly made a mistake in what I said above, but I haven't slept yet so my mind isn't 100% great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    In Firefox 3.5 (and some other newer browsers, can't remember which) there is a white box with a circle in beneath the panning bit and above the zoom bit on Google Maps, clicking the circle (and confirming to share your location) it tries to locate you.
    I've just tried that, and it put me further away than my IP address :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I've just tried that, and it put me further away than my IP address :awesome:
    Haha, it seems to work fine for some, and ******** for others. The first time I did it, it located me to my road, but now it just sort of half zooms to South East England, quite a radius I could be there.

I heard that it was possible, but difficult and dodgy, to hide one's IP address. I remember someone once telling my about "IP scramblers," though I've never seen or used one...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.