Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long before you say “I love you”? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How long do people go out for before one of them says “I love you”?

I’m single; I’m only asking this question out of intrigue after reading a TSR comment that a boyfriend dumped his girlfriend after she declared her love for him, despite the fact they’d been going out for a whole year! Surely you know how you feel within a year?!

And if you don’t love someone you wouldn’t go out with them for a year right?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizmo)
    How long do people go out for before one of them says “I love you”?

I’m single; I’m only asking this question out of intrigue after reading a TSR comment that a boyfriend dumped his girlfriend after she declared her love for him, despite the fact they’d been going out for a whole year! Surely you know how you feel within a year?!

And if you don’t love someone you wouldn’t go out with them for a year right?!
    approx 0.0001 seconds, which will raise your chance of sleeping with them to approx. 0.00%

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need all that soppy love business? There are better ways to express love for someone :yes: So yeah, I would never say those words personally.

ReputationRep:
    A topic like this was posted earlier today, I think! The consensus being that you say it when you personally feel ready. If you feel weird about saying it, then it's probably not time. Likewise, if the relationship hasn't truly progressed that far then it could make them run a mile.

But if you feel it, go for it. It depends on the couple - some say it almost immediately, others wait months before it finally feels right to say. Life's too short to worry about these things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Why do you need all that soppy love business? There are better ways to express love for someone :yes: So yeah, I would never say those words personally.

What ways are they? And not even if you were married to someone?

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to say to everyone who's posted in this thread and everyone who will post in this thread after me...

I love you guys.

ReputationRep:
    I say it quite casually so I'm probably not the best person to post
    But my boyfriend and I both use it quite casually, like at the end of a phonecall it'll be "I love you!" and there won't be that much weight behind it, but we know we mean it.
    I think I said it first, I don't really remember it though. I think I'm too apathetic about most things... oh well.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a specific time you should say it. You say it when you feel the time is right , when the chemistry is flowing , and especially when you're ready to say it.

ReputationRep:
    When you feel like you do! There is no set time!
    But whatever you say be creative, I've heard 'I love you' used far too often to have real meaning, read up on some classic romances, that might give you some good ideas how to go for it!! =D

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, say it when you feel it's right. My lady knew how I felt way before I felt the need of wanting to tell her; I do now, just every so often so she'll know, and although I know she feels the same she won't reply to it with the same thing because she just isn't ready and I completely respect that. I know that when she says it, she'll mean it with her whole heart.

ReputationRep:
    I would only say 'I love you if I meant it honestly, time doesn't come into it.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are too flippant and use the term 'i love you' too often these days and so it becomes really hard to know when people actually mean it. I have been with my boyfriend for for years now, and to be a total hypocrite (if thats how u spell it lol.i think its correct) I 'loved' him before I even knew his name. He was and still is! Soo dreamy lol. We actually fell 'in love' very quickly. Dont go into a relationship wandering when to say 'IT', just have fun! COZ WHEN U KNOW....trust me....U KNOW

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.