Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone noticed how ITV seems not to worry about having token minorities and adhering to the same stringent political correctness doctrines as the BBC?

Of course, there are minorities on ITV, but they appear to be there more for their talent than purely as a token to look 'diverse'.

ReputationRep:
    that's true. good on them. of course this doesnt change the fact that ITV is **** and should die.

ReputationRep:
    its not exacally hard to be less pc than the bbc

ReputationRep:
    BBC gets public money, I guess that may play a part in reflecting Britain's diversity .

ReputationRep:
    do they have shows like mock the week or top gear on itv? I have no idea, i haven't watched ITV in years, but those are gloriously un-PC shows on the BBC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    BBC gets public money, I guess that may play a part in reflecting Britain's diversity .
    You think a programme like Newsround reflects Britain's population correctly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaniqua)
    Newsround? Kids news thing, i haven't watched it in years...why does it not?

ReputationRep:
    On a slightly related topic, it gets me really irritated to see ITV (the worst offender) blurring out logos and brand names.

I even saw that in a music video the other day and was like WTF?! Think it was Pixie Lott's video, on a stick of lip-stick.
    EDIT: just saw the video on TMF right now. It is Black Eyed Peas.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt ITV can afford 100% Political correctness

ReputationRep:
    My ****** explanation for this is that ITV broadcasts nothing that's edgy/ controversial/ has the potential to offend, whereas there's a far higher incidence of such programming on the beeb, thus attempts to represent minorities by the BBC could be seen as a way to recompense for this, thus, as ITV has no such aforementioned programming, then it has no need to do this.
    Obviously, I fabricated that explanation purely because I ******* hate ITV (apart from when the Football's on)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    My ****** explanation for this is that ITV broadcasts nothing that's edgy/ controversial/ has the potential to offend, whereas there's a far higher incidence of such programming on the beeb, thus attempts to represent minorities by the BBC could be seen as a way to recompense for this, thus, as ITV has no such aforementioned programming, then it has no need to do this.
    Obviously, I fabricated that explanation purely because I ******* hate ITV (apart from when the Football's on)
    Are you having a laugh? Footballers' Wives not controversial?

ReputationRep:
    there are more programmes on the BBC than newsround.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Newsround? Kids news thing, i haven't watched it in years...why does it not?
    Look at their presenting team. If the BBC's role is to represent the UK population (in terms of ethnicity) factually, they have certainly failed in this case.

I wouldn't have an issue if Newsround was an ITV programme, as ITV isn't renowned for positive discrimination, thus it would appear less questionable.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone noticed how ITV seems not to worry about having token minorities and adhering to the same stringent political correctness doctrines as the BBC?

Of course, there are minorities on ITV, but they appear to be there more for their talent than purely as a token to look 'diverse'.

Yes, I have noticed that too.

And they seem more willing to criticise the government in their news reports. The lefties at the BBC are always sticking up for Labour, even when the rest of the country and even the Guardian are moaning at them!!

ReputationRep:
    im glad they dont. there is far too much political correctness around.
    i dont know why it has to be representative.surely the most skilled should get the job regardless of anything else.

ReputationRep:
    the bbc dont care about race but they are ageist

ReputationRep:
    k at their presenting team. If the BBC's role is to represent the UK population (in terms of ethnicity) factually, they have certainly failed in this case.
    So the BBC should choose presenters by using statistics of what ethnic groups are in the UK? that would be pretty stupid. At the end of the day if you look at Newsnight then I don't see how BBC is being bias against white people. Saying that you will find that boring so stick to newsround.

What talent do you need to read news to children? So yeah, what person is on newsround that is bad at the job but is only there to make it look diverse?

(Original post by cashdogg666)
    surely the most skilled should get the job regardless of anything else.
    Yeah, but then that would mean the polish would get all the jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    do they have shows like mock the week or top gear on itv? I have no idea, i haven't watched ITV in years, but those are gloriously un-PC shows on the BBC
    Good point.

ReputationRep:
    Examples? Instead of rambling.

ReputationRep:
    Are you having a laugh? Footballers' Wives not controversial?
    A show canceled in 2006?

The only decent thing about ITV is Harry Hill. I've literally not watched ITV in about 5 months, or whenever TV Burp finished.

That said Nightwatch with Steve whatshisface at 2am in the morning is a decent watch when bored.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.