Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If yu have a car and live in Founders

what do yu do?

where do yu put it?

ReputationRep:
    you don't - you're not allowed to bring your car if you live on campus!
    Sorry fella.

ReputationRep:
    You leave it at home or park it somewhere in Egham. No car pass for you as you're on campus.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm never leaving mine at home LMAO!

Sooo any nice info on where it can be parked wuld be great

ReputationRep:
    There's not really many places to leave a car. You can't leave it anywhere on campus. There might be a side road, somewhere.

You're seriously better off leaving it at home.

ReputationRep:
    you can swap accommodation with me and live in kingswood then you get a car parking space

ReputationRep:
    yea but ive got accomodation in tuke....and don't want to live in kingswood!!!!

theres a car park not far from uni, or some side road etc etc...would do

Are they actually going to fine / throw u out of college because you live in halls and have a car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    Are they actually going to fine / throw u out of college because you live in halls and have a car?
    If you park it on campus without a pass (which you won't be able to get) then they'll a) heavily fine you and b) it can break your accommodation contract so yes if you're a persistent offender, they could try and kick you out of halls.

ReputationRep:
    nooo i wouldn't be stupid and park on campus LOL

but im reading about this rule that u aren't allowed a car even in the local area!

And you get clamped, thrown out etc etc, just for parking in a road.....which I find insane to believe

so was wondering how true it is. I mean theres even a car park not far from the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    nooo i wouldn't be stupid and park on campus LOL

but im reading about this rule that u aren't allowed a car even in the local area!
    Technically you're not meant to be park outside other people's driveways. However having walked around that area so much now, they're not private roads so there's no way they can enforce it! And none of it is double yellow lined. There is one house that keeps sticking massive notes on cars' windscreens saying "you're a student, you're not meant to park here etc" but again, because it's a) not a private road; b) the car isn't blocking their driveway and c) no yellow lines - there is nothing they can do about it!

It's all about local residents and the relations with the uni - piss too many locals off and there would be massive problems.

And you get clamped, thrown out etc etc, just for parking in a road.....which I find insane to believe
    Clamped on campus yes. Local roads - NO WAY, unless it's obviously double yellow lines. Or a local resident has their own clamp!

I mean theres even a car park not far from the uni
    Whereabouts? The only car parks I know of are those relating to the station, Tescos and the Egham high street which are not free. Not sure what's in Englefield Green, the car park across the A30 is still 'on campus' as such & and I can't think of any others.

ReputationRep:
    The one infront of the graveyard LOL?

I emailed the council and u can get season tickets for it.....

But of course free parking round the back of the uni is preferable.

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/advice/cars/carleaflet.pdf

A read of this is basically where my worries have come from.

They say that some stipulation in the planning consent means that they should try and manage parking in the local area etc - so whether these rules were put in place to please the council and scare students .... but not actually enforcable - i dont know?

I mean im reasonable....Im not going to park in YOUR driveway!! Or even block it, im not stupid LOL. But my point is, I want to live in the nice halls, I want to have a car ..... i dont really want to park outside campus, but I don't mind doing so etc etc!!

I mean even going to some local pub and saying, can i give you a few hundred to park here for a year LOL?

ReputationRep:
    ah from reading that, you aren't going to be clamped from parking in a local road. But you can be fined - by the college....which I suppose is within their rights?

And then it goes on to say...you may be required to leave the college etc etc...

So kinda what I'm looking for is people who park their cars in local roads - how have you found things?

THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    if u park it on local roads, be sure to move it around to avoid it getting keyed by angry locals etc. ull be fine. i think parking it in egham will be fine. quite a few cars have been vandalised on the green.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Egham's safer than the Green too - I know friends who have had cars and haven't had any problems BUT they kept moving their cars around, never too close to the same space in the same week and generally tried to park as far away from driveways as possible.

ReputationRep:
    so how long would it take to walk from tuke to where i'd park my car?

Are security pretty cool with like me parking outside my halls for a min to drop shopping off or something and then leaving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    so how long would it take to walk from tuke to where i'd park my car?

Are security pretty cool with like me parking outside my halls for a min to drop shopping off or something and then leaving?
    IF you can park it on campus during the day - car parks are full from about half 8 till 4pm and the lay-bys by Tuke, Butler etc are actually for staff and student parking during the day so you'll probably have to park it at the hub and still walk down the hill towards Tuke.

Walk wise - even if you park in Spring Rise or Lynwood Avenue you're looking at around a 5min walk at the minimum. Bare in mind, even the roads are parked on and full by about half 8 at the latest too.

ReputationRep:
    Wheres the back entrance then? Is it right by runnymede / W, B, T?

Because that seems the most convienant. As if I parked around englefield green, id have to walk all through campus and out the otherside....

ReputationRep:
    Back gate is right down by Runnymede and it's not a through the gate, I'm in egham type; there's still a bit of a walk and if you're coming back with shopping it's uphill.

ReputationRep:
    Why not see how things are without a car and then if you really need it, then work out how to keep it around? You'll find very little need for a car if you're living on campus.

ReputationRep:
    course theres a need LOL, otherwise i'll have to use public transport for anything and everything......

imagine waiting for a bus when its freezing and snowing and having to get on this smelly steamed up thing that stops everywhere, and eugh! Come on - car is the way to go.....

And how do you mean its not a through the gate?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.