Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    guys as a first yr you really dont need a car, and keeping one is impratical as there is no where to park, you arent aloud to park on local streets, and trying not to get caught is more hassle than its worth

ReputationRep:
    well from what others have told me, thats just not true.

who actually has parked in a street and got fined by the college for doing so?

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound like you'd ever need to leave campus or even go further afield than Egham

I think apotoftea meant that the center of Egham (ie Tesco) is a good 5-10 minute walk from the gate?

ReputationRep:
    duno if that was meant at me lol?

but exactly...i dont want to be stuck on campus and be completely relient on public transport to take me anywhere!

espically since ive had a car for about 2 years, i would never give it up -also remember that our weather is only good for about 2 months a yr!

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's meant for you - this is your thread after all

The thing is - why do you think you'll be "stuck on campus" when you've not even arrived yet? Once you get here, you'll be too busy having fun to worry about the outside world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    And how do you mean its not a through the gate?
    A lot of people think the back gate is literally you walk through and voila - Egham's there. It's a walk down past Runnymede 1, down through the buses/trees, past the sports field, turn right past the library depositary, walk straight and then you're into streets full of housing. Egham is a good 15 min walk away.

Plus if you're thinking of leaving you car down there, like I said before - everyone parks on the same streets and by half 8 there is nowhere to park so you may well be looking at leaving your car a good 10/15min walk away from the campus.

Out of interest why do you want to have your car at uni, unless you need it to drive home? You won't need it and won't want to drive into London and the only thing in Staines worth going there for is Sainsburys - get food delivered. Windsor possibly but parking's a nightmare from what I've seen. Thorpe Park - buses run from Staines which is actually probably the easiest way of getting there etc. Unless it's for medical reasons or something incredibly similar I don't see why you'll need a car in your first year. If you're thinking of needing it to get food from Tescos in Egham - keep in mind you'll be paying to park there as well. May as well just walk.

ReputationRep:
    im confused as to where the back gate is....

ive taken a screen shot and shown u what I think the route is....as the housing doesn't seem very far from tuke...what is that white building that you would pass when walking off spring rise?

And why I need a car....i think if youve had the luxury of having a car that you use everyday for any little thing that you need - and youve had it for 2 years, its something I wont give up.

if you haven't had one - and find public transport adequate then i guess it would be hard to see my perspective

ReputationRep:
    http://i25.tinypic.com/29zvm8p.jpg

ReputationRep:
    That white building is (I think) some kind of repository for some library or other. That map/route is approximately correctly. But as you can see, you're about a mile from the center of town once you get on to Spring Rise.

I think we all understand your point of view...it's just that we don't think you'll be spending that much time heading off in your car and you'll be spending most of your time walking to where ever you've parked it too, that you might as well have walked the whole way in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Yea but I would just have to walk from tuke to my car in spring rise? So the distance of town from uni and anything is irrelevant, as I'd drive it all.

What Im really curious about is how long my little red route would take to walk HAHA?!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh...you're still under the mistaken belief that you'll be able to park your car near to the gate
    Chances are, that you might once in a while get to park there, but since to avoid getting keyed by the locals or fined by the college, you'll have to keep randomly parking elsewhere, you'll be more likely parked nearer to Egham than campus.

Also, say for example you wanted to go to Tescos and get a whole load of shopping. You walk off campus to your car which is parked in the mean streets of Egham. You drive to the shops, pick up your shopping and then...drive around Egham until you find somewhere to park and then carry it by hand the rest of the way? Or would you drive back to Tuke, drop off the shopping, then go find a parking space in Egham somewhere and walk back? Either option makes the whole idea of having a car and then not parking it near to where you live totally silly and pointless? Why not get a bike - you can fit that in your room (probably)

ReputationRep:
    It's a 15 minute walk into town, and you'll probably be parking your car 10 mins from your halls. You'll probably manage to park about a 3/5 minute walk from Tesco towars campus. So if you were thinking of doing your food shopping in your car, you'll be driving it for approx 20 seconds, parking then resuming walking. It's really not worth it.

I never had a car in halls, but when I moved out I did. To be honest, I never would have used a car much in halls. Remember that all your friends live with you, and all the bars and clubs you'lll want to go to are where you live. If you want to go to Staines or Windsor, a couple of times a month, just take the bus. Windsor is a nightmare to park in, and Staines can be bad sometimes too.

We just got a taxi every couple of weeks from Tesco. It's like £2/£3 each. That's £6 a month instead of the £60 a month I prob spend on my car insurance/petrol. Remember you can always go without a car and then if you think you'll need one, then bring it.

ReputationRep:
    well i just emailed uni about cars in the local area.....and they just said they don't encourage it - but as long as its taxed etc etc and your not parked illegally....its fine.

the cost of running a car isnt really a problem.

and its not just for tesco shopping lol - its anytime i want to go anywhere! work, the city, home, random day trips? visiting friends at other unis.

(trains are NOT suitable haha!!)

And i hear what you say about everywhere is a nightmare to park in - seriously people in general wouldn't have a car if that was true.....i think after a few weeks of living there i will have got to know wheres the best places to park

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    And i hear what you say about everywhere is a nightmare to park in - seriously people in general wouldn't have a car if that was true.....i think after a few weeks of living there i will have got to know wheres the best places to park
    You're also forgetting that a hell of a lot of people commute into RHUL by car and even then can't park on campus because of how small the car parks are so then start using the back streets as well.

Your red route is semi correct - I've edited it to show you where you'll actually be walking. What you cannot see though is the fact that it's up hill, firstly up the back path onto campus. Then to get to Tuke it's again up another hill which is just not fun with shopping. (I've stopped the green line where Tuke F is). You're looking at between 5 to 8 mins depending on who else is using the path as it's not very wide and if you're carrying anything. Plus obviously where you've parked as well.

ReputationRep:
    ah thanks - yea i just forgot that tuke is on the bottom of the photo!

a 5min walk isnt too bad i suppose....

are all car parks on campus like the same? or do students get spaces only right in the corner miles away lol.....what is that car park behind tuke?

ReputationRep:
    ps...my idea if i had shopping would be to park in the laybys outside tuke for about a min, drop shopping off....and then park - and so walk back minus the shopping! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    are all car parks on campus like the same? or do students get spaces only right in the corner miles away lol.....what is that car park behind tuke?
    Nope they're not. Some are staff only, some are students (which does not include you!) - it's students who live over the minimum distance and have a car pass; some are maintenance and admin staff only etc etc. They're all colour-coded depending on what colour car pass you have as it were.

The car park behind Tuke is for staff and students but again don't even try and park in there without a car pass - you'll be clamped and they're **** hot on clamping people! It's also got reserved spaces in for anyone staying at the Hub. It's one of the first to be full each morning I've noticed.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!

all my questions answered

ReputationRep:
    I justed ask out of curiousosity, I dont have a car and dont plan to get one until Im well into uni life and have a stable income and parking space, probably 2nd or 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    im curious about the cars parked on campus...espically around the halls - like after a massive drunken night....don't some get damaged??

Like scratched up etc?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.