Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    im curious about the cars parked on campus...espically around the halls - like after a massive drunken night....don't some get damaged??

Like scratched up etc?
    Very few cars are on campus over night given that probably 95% of them belong to staff and students who are obviously living off campus and driving in. Plus if you have a car pass, you're not meant to park over night either.

Tbh, don't think I've heard one report of drunk students damaging cars. You don't really walk past any car parks heading back from the Union, Medicine, Stumble etc

ReputationRep:
    More likely for a car to be damaged if it were parked off campus by disgruntled locals annoyed at students stealing their parking spaces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    well i just emailed uni about cars in the local area.....and they just said they don't encourage it - but as long as its taxed etc etc and your not parked illegally....its fine.

the cost of running a car isnt really a problem.

and its not just for tesco shopping lol - its anytime i want to go anywhere! work, the city, home, random day trips? visiting friends at other unis.

(trains are NOT suitable haha!!)

And i hear what you say about everywhere is a nightmare to park in - seriously people in general wouldn't have a car if that was true.....i think after a few weeks of living there i will have got to know wheres the best places to park
    'seriously people in general wouldn't have a car if that was true.'
    in general they dont!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    im curious about the cars parked on campus...espically around the halls - like after a massive drunken night....don't some get damaged??

Like scratched up etc?
    a guy i know spent a while dancing on top of various cars outside tuke.

don't listen to the other people btw, Egham's a tiny place with nothing apart from the uni going for it and as long as you can afford parking elsewhere, you'll be glad to have a car. it's a godsend for shopping - not that useful to go to Tesco in Egham but you won't go there if you can help it because it's terrible. go Waitrose or Sainsburys in Staines and for that you'll need a car. also for days out, clothes shopping, visiting people it's so useful.

you can park down by the back gate, it'll take around 5 minutes to walk there from Tuke. the hill is surprisingly steep with shopping so yeah drop it off and drive round. the residents do get really annoyed with students parking in Spring Rise and the roads round there so you'll have to move it quite a bit. campus security also put notes on people's cars saying if you're a student you're not allowed to park there etc but they can't prove that the car belongs to a student, so don't worry about it. I think if you have a nice car security are a lot less likely to clamp you than if you drive a beaten up fiesta or 106 cos they know those are student cars. so yeah buy an m3.

ReputationRep:
    see i was speaking to my dad and hes like - if you park on campus....the car park behind tuke is - was just going to say nxt to SU....but its not LOL, its next to the hub?

But still, even though RHUL should have people of reasonable intelligence...when they get seriously drunk and stupid, the idea of someone dancing on my car! Or ruining it is like, omg

But on the other hand we have 24hr security with cctv, and this isn't east london...it should be ok?

ReputationRep:
    are reports quite common of students being dicks.....like throwing bins everywhere and vandalising things?

ReputationRep:
    It's as safe as anywhere else. In the few years I lived on the green, one locals threw paint stripper over cars, and on the road opposite campus, someone (dont know if students or locals) kicked off wind-mirrors off some of the cars. It's as infrequent as anywhere else. You will have drunk people generally going past your car, but I'd much rather leave my car there than outside my local nightclub in Kent a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    see i was speaking to my dad and hes like - if you park on campus....the car park behind tuke is - was just going to say nxt to SU....but its not LOL, its next to the hub?

But still, even though RHUL should have people of reasonable intelligence...when they get seriously drunk and stupid, the idea of someone dancing on my car! Or ruining it is like, omg

But on the other hand we have 24hr security with cctv, and this isn't east london...it should be ok?
    You will NOT be able to park your car on campus for long periods of time so I'd really stop worrying about students damaging it over night. If you do park it, I'd be worrying about guy touching my car who's clamping it at every given opportunity! And the more times they clamp you and you start paying the fine - they'll begin to know your face and name (which is also all on the student computer system) and you'll be risking the chance of being kicked out of halls!

The car park you're referring to is right by the Hub and nowhere near the actual SU.

ReputationRep:
    But parking overnight nxt to the hub....is going to be around where lots of students are because of W B T and runnymede?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    But parking overnight nxt to the hub....is going to be around where lots of students are because of W B T and runnymede?
    If you fancy getting up at like 7/8 in the morning to move it then go for it haha.

Parking it by the hub will mean people coming out medicine will walk past it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by editz)
    The actual Hub carpark - you'll get people walking past but the car park behind Tuke - not really unless the students in Runnymede 1 use it as a short cut but I doubt it as they'll head up the sandy path anyway.

And yup, you'll need it moved by 8am at the latest the following morning!

ReputationRep:
    thats cool....students are pretty sensible @rhul aren't they...they'll have a good night, but its not going to end in a rampage of distruction im assuming?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.