The Student Room Group

Going to uni, not fulfilling my potential?

I got AAB in physics, maths and further maths in my A-levels and having spent 10 months at Abu Dhabi's National investment bank on my gap year, I'm definately sure I want to have a career in finance/banking. In fact, the investment bank actually offered to fund my whole degree at uni and in return I'll have to work for them for a minimum amount of years. I'm not sure if I'll be accepting the offer as of yet, but to be honest I don't think I'll be getting in investment banking down here in the UK so going there might be my best option.

Anyway, I want to study economics at university, and have researched quite a lot of universities. So far my my choices are Bath, Bristol, City, Royal Holloway and Oxford Brookes.
If I'm completely honest, Oxford Brookes' economics, finance and international business course is the one I definately find most interesting. I've looked at the uni itself and I really liked it. As far as studying a degree completely tailored to my interests and I think it will definately equip me best for the career (as far as theoretical skills go). I just really like the course I feel like it's almost as if they made a list of all my interests and made one specifically for me :yes:

Before I had even started to look for universities, everybody, my teachers, friends and family were all saying rankings aren't important and it's imperative I choose a uni and course that I genuinly look forward to study. Now that I've told everybody that I'd like to go to Oxford Brookes, they're all saying no :confused: I mean wth, first they say choose what I like and now they're saying no it's not fulfilling my potential as I have AAB and they ask for BCC and that it isn't really 'highly regarded' anyway. I'm really confused now, because I'd like to go there more than any other uni just for the brilliant course but it's got me in two minds now whether I'll regret not opting for a better uni where students with my grades go to.
I just need some advice please, what should I do?...more importantly, what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Reply 1
Do exactly what YOU want. That's what I always do, so long as it doesn't hurt anybody...
You won't be happy studying another course whilst knowing that the other one exists which you so love the sound of!
Although, the whole uni situation is a dilemma =/
Reply 2
This is a disappointingly serious effort from you after your big controversial rants :frown:
Reply 3
Your first 2 choices seem fitting, the 3rd and 4th are also good but you exceed them, the 5th..... Don't do it mate!

I'm in kinda the same position as you predicted AAB but don't want to really move out if London, plus I loved City's campus, however, although city isn't bad, people say I could go to somewhere better, I.E, Bristol, Notts, Loughborough, York etc...

But really mate, In the end it's up to you, I need a 1st for post grad studies at LSE/Oxbridge in IR/Economic History/ Decemopment economics and it doesn't really matter where I go, same for grad jobs, 2.1 is needed, don't listen to me or anyone else for that matter, go to an institution that you'll like and perform best at!!

Good luck
don't go to oxford brookes with AAB...
Reply 5
ignore the rankings you will do better at the uni you like. Rankings are a very poor way of choosing uni's
If you want to be an investment banker or have the typical high flying job, bristol or bath are the best choices especially as you have AAB.
Reply 7
It's a bit pointless to be honest. It sound like you made your mind up anyway, you'll probably end up at Oxford brookes. Its true your very bright and you could go to more prestigious institutions but like you said you like the coure outlines at oxford brookes so why not? And anyways since you'r quite bright they might even offer you a scholarship. Remember ....

YOU MAKE THE UNIVERSITY DEGREE, THE UNIVERSITY DOESN'T MAKE IT FOR YOU !!
Good luck Anyways. :smile:
Reply 8
OP has been permanently banned for trolling- this may well have been an attempt to provoke our now thrice weekly prestige debate, we'll never know. At any rate, little point in responding to their question, as it won't make any difference now.

Latest

Trending

Trending