Turn on thread page Beta

Am I being completely high-maintenance or what? :( watch

I'm in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend but I'm travelling to see him in 2 weeks time. It's my birthday tomorrow (woo) and I've just been talking to him, he said he hasn't sent anything (not even a card!) but he'll give me something when I see him. Do you think I have any right to be disappointed? Especially considering I sent him a special parcel just yesterday (for no particular reason - just wanted to show I was thinking of him) - I spent ages searching for some of the gifts, and now it feels like he can't even be bothered to send a little surprise on my birthday *carry on the emo whine for a few more hours or so...*
    What do you think, shall I just get over it and try not to expect so much from him?

ReputationRep:
    You're really upset because you haven't received a little useless gift on your birthday? You should be happy you get to see your boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    he might just be waiting to do something really amazing when you're actually together. better than sending something rubbishy in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    He probably has something planned for when you see him. So don't get upset too quickly

Not if I know him...he doesn't do surprises.

ReputationRep:
    it's only presents. Jeez.. he might get you something unexpectedly. If he doesn't get you one, will you dump him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend but I'm travelling to see him in 2 weeks time. It's my birthday tomorrow (woo) and I've just been talking to him, he said he hasn't sent anything (not even a card!) but he'll give me something when I see him...
    What do you think, shall I just get over it and try not to expect so much from him?
    Maybe thats why he hasnt sent something?

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, I didn't get a birthday present, nor a card, nor did I get to see him on the day, or on a day near it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd be upset too. :dontknow: My boyfriend always comes to see me on my birthday though so I've never had that problem. At least he's going to give you something when he sees you though.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, just because we like to get nice little out-of-the-blue presents, cards or whatever, doesn't mean they'll want to do the same thing. So, since I'm going to uni in September and he is staying here at home, I am now just grateful for the time we're getting to spend together! Maybe do the same instead of worrying about presents!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be bothered at all ... but then, we don't put that much emphasis on presents in terms of getting them "in time". I'd be happy to wait until he saw me.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a huge big deal but I think you're right to be a bit disappointed. I would try not to make a big deal out of it though, especially not until you've been and visited him- who knows what he'll have prepared then! Your relationship sounds the same as mine, in that I'm the sweet and thoughtful one and the boyfriend is, well, not haha. It doesn't mean he doesn't care, these thoughts just don't enter his head like they do ours.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.