Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love geography and recently decided that I would like to study it at uni (it was either that or economics).

However, I can see myself going into business when I eventually start working and I don't know how employers would see this degree? I've also considered training to become a chartered surveyor afterwards, but I want to leave my options open as anything could happen to make me change my mind!

I was told at school that business employers aren't too picky when it comes to the subject, as long as its a good degree.

I don't want to be stuck without a good job or something when I finish uni! I just need some reassurance

ReputationRep:
    Definitely if you want to do jobs related to geography.

Can't see it being useful for business though; given that it will have no quantitative aspects at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illy123)

Can't see it being useful for business though; given that it will have no quantitative aspects at all.
    Not counting the research methods and statistics in physical, economic and human geography.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, what would be impressive is the fact you have a degree in a respectable subject like geography. I mean, if it was Surf Studies, then youd be on dodgy ground.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe look at keele. They run a dual honours program. You may be able to do both economics AND geography so all avenues are covered.

I am not sure how it works. Social Work is a stand alone degree so i never got the choice to opt for dual hons. I have a couple of friends doing geography dual hons, they are doing geography and sociology though.

Worth a thought. other than that, i really dont know much about geoggers im afraid. I detested it at school ;o)

ReputationRep:
    Many places offer econ and geog, LSE, UCL, Loughborough, Queen Mary to name a few

A degree from one of those will put you in good steed for future business roles, all have good employment prospects

Maybe BSc Geography? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I just got a BSc in Geography, and its the same as a BA really, and its all to show that you have that level of intellect and just as the level of education. A degree in geography won't hinder you unless you want to do something really specific (computer programming, or train engineer) so if its what you want to do, then do it.
    I also found my degree really interesting and do not regret it for one second, ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingshoes10)
    I love geography and recently decided that I would like to study it at uni (it was either that or economics).

However, I can see myself going into business when I eventually start working and I don't know how employers would see this degree? I've also considered training to become a chartered surveyor afterwards, but I want to leave my options open as anything could happen to make me change my mind!

I was told at school that business employers aren't too picky when it comes to the subject, as long as its a good degree.

I don't want to be stuck without a good job or something when I finish uni! I just need some reassurance
    Most universities will offer a joint honours course if you are interested in that, if not, then there is always the route of economic geography. Most departments will allow you to choose modules which interest you.

A geography degree is fairly general, but it will give you a lot of transferable skills which can applied almost anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    If it's what you love, do it. Who cares about anyone else. Or what other people might think.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and if you want to do it, then do not just assume a BA means human and a BSc means physical. It's not that simple. It's important to look at the course content and see how the degree is structured. For example, my degree requires a mix of human and physical (at least one module of each, so can't be all human) and although there are people in the class from three different faculties (arts, social science and science) we are all taught the same things, and are all in the one class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Not counting the research methods and statistics in physical, economic and human geography.

:rolleyes:
    Not even close (not even if it was a BSc).

Edit: Sorry by business I assumed IB or finance where you need real pure maths (not just applied formulas). Should be fine for business.

Do a degree that you enjoy, not just for the prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Do a degree that you enjoy, not just for the prestige.
    This.

ReputationRep:

Don't give people completely false information. Firstly, geography does a fair bit of "quantitative aspects"; virtually every geography degree has a statistics module in the first year and after that you will use a range of quantitative methods when analysing and collating data and especially in some of the more technical physical modules.

Secondly, even if it didn't have any quantitative aspects in it, that still wouldn't mean it would be useless for a business career. History, law and English are all examples of subjects which would still be valued by businesses for a variety of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    If geography is what you love then persue it. it will lead you to things that you are interested in naturally if you are passionate about it. you might be aware of the area of your future career, but always follow what you enjoy and you will be happy.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking at grad schemes and things in the long run, they don't generally care what degree you have as long as its from a good uni and is a 2.1

Economics would put you in a better standing for financial roles but it would be much harder to become a chartered surveyor with an economics degree.

All I would say is that from what you've written it sounds like you'd maybe be better with a BSc, it'll give you more quantitative skills to put on your CV, and obviously has more maths and general figuring things out rather than writing loads about how different people see the world.

There are lots of places (sheffield as an example) that do geography (BA) and economics as a dual honours, you could maybe look into something like that.

Obviously the most important thing is that you enjoy your degree, but I think you're doing the right thing in thinking in the long term but as I said, when it comes to grad schemes they care more about it being a 2:1 and from a top 20 uni than what its actually in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    All I would say is that from what you've written it sounds like you'd maybe be better with a BSc, it'll give you more quantitative skills to put on your CV, and obviously has more maths and general figuring things out rather than writing loads about how different people see the world.
    That is so misrepresenting what human geography is about :p:

ReputationRep:
    Of course a BA Geography degree is respectable. It will give you a broad range of skills and a critical eye.

Naturally, it won't endear you to City employers quite as well as an Economics degree, but as a rule of thumb, the best employers don't specify what degree you should do; it's the lesser employers, who have a poorer idea of what they need from their new-hires, that tend to be more specific.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.